Author Topic: Hungaroton Fan Club  (Read 541 times)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: Hungaroton Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 09:32:08 PM »
It was reasonably common, I think, cf. also the later "Hungarian Concerto" by Joseph Joachim or certain pieces by Strauss (Csardas, Gypsy Baron etc.). But supposedly a direct biographical link was that the young Brahms toured with the hungarian violinist Remenyi and they might have played some hungarian/gypsy tunes as encores or in any case Brahms got into contact with that kind of music via Remenyi. In any case it apparently was already "tamed" and partly adapted to the tasts of Salon and concert hall, not the raw authentic ethnic music collected by Bartok a generation or two later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ede_Rem%C3%A9nyi

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2022, 12:42:05 PM »
The Ranki/Rollo Mozart PC 27 is very good. I played it for the first time in a long time this morning and was very impressed. Andrianne Csengeri in Kurtag is special -- the one in the pic is good, but they're all good. Cziffra made several recordings in for Hungaroton -- they're all outstanding. Ranki's Haydn is quite distinctive -- I like what he does with the music more than anyone else who uses a modern piano.

I also listened to the Faidit CD last night -- the singers are very fine I think. And some of the Bakfark - I have the whole set and it's too much for more than half an hour, but it's fine music, committed and characterful playing and the lute sounds slightly like a banjo, which is good.

While Ranki’s Mozart PC and Haydn recordings sound very good, I was impressed by his Ravel works. A lot of space and delicate nuances in his very sensitive performance- a sort of “iki” style.  ;D
The Kurtag is innovative and new music. Atmospheric and inspiring.

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2022, 02:17:33 PM »
Does anyone know the connection between the Brahms waltzes and the Liszt Rhapsodies? Presumably one inspired the other, or was this sort of stuff common at the time?

Astonishing that Cziffra could think of giving a concert with 21 Hungarian Waltzes! Who would do that now? In a way, it’s too much - like the world’s greatest display of fireworks which goes on slightly longer than it should. After a while you feel the need for an introspective intimate spiritual slow movement, but there ain’t one!

I listened to quite a bit of the Senlis box last night. In addition to the Brahms there’s a fabulous Couperin recital, a Chopin recital which didn’t have an impact on me, though it could be excellent. There’s also a Liszt recital, but I couldn’t possibly listen to the Brahms AND the Liszt in the same week, so I didn’t play it.

Sound is listenable, in a way rather good in that the piano timbre is caught - but clearly old live recordings. I think that old sound has its own charms actually, all part of the experience.

There is no strong evidence for connection. However, possibly, L may have influenced B according to this author. Just a possibility. Please read pp 16-7.

https://macsphere.mcmaster.ca/bitstream/11375/11150/1/fulltext.pdf

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2022, 05:56:15 PM »

While Ranki’s Mozart PC and Haydn recordings sound very good, I was impressed by his Ravel works. A lot of space and delicate nuances in his very sensitive performance- a sort of “iki” style.  ;D
The Kurtag is innovative and new music. Atmospheric and inspiring.

What Kurtag? I have a radio recording of a concert with him playing some Bach/Kurtag.

For iki style Ravel try Pogorelich’s waltzes. Ranki made a recording of a couple of movements from Ma mère l’oye with Kocsis, from memory it was good, but Im not sure.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 06:14:27 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2022, 06:19:02 PM »
I forgot a good Hungaroton - I’m a bit allergic to the music, but I can tolerate this performance.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2022, 06:52:08 PM »
What Kurtag? I have a radio recording of a concert with him playing some Bach/Kurtag.

For iki style Ravel try Pogorelich’s waltzes. Ranki made a recording of a couple of movements from Ma mère l’oye with Kocsis, from memory it was good, but Im not sure.

I meant Kafka Fragments. The music is surreal and aesthetic. I like it a lot.
Not a big fan of Pogorelich, but will look for the recording, plus the Ranki/Kocsis.
The Ranki/Ravel above was probably played slow, but it didn’t sound slow. A lot of air and space- like Miles Davis. Each notes breath and shine. The recording sound is not crystal clear, but it is good/fair.