Did You Listen to All the Recordings You Own at Least Once?

Started by Florestan, May 14, 2022, 03:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did You Listen to All the Recordings You Own at Least Once?

I'm positively sure I did
9 (26.5%)
I'm not sure but believe I did
1 (2.9%)
Can't remember / Don't know
0 (0%)
I'm not sure but believe I didn't
0 (0%)
I'm positively sure I didn't
24 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Florestan

Well?  :D

I'm positively sure I didn't.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

No, about 15 - 20 % of my collection are still unlistened to. The explanation is, that I purchase more CDs than I can manage to listen to at the same time. But my slogan has always been: Purchase while you have the money and the CDs are available, and listen when you get the time.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Gurn Blanston

Probably not.  I have some boxes with disks I wanted that also had ones I didn't,  and I probably never got around to those.    :-\

🤠😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Todd

A new category is needed: Yes, except for new purchases in the to-hear pile/folder/queue.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Absolutely not. I have a backlog a mile long at this juncture I'm sure. But this is okay, I'm in no rush. I have found the more I just take my time with new purchases or music I haven't heard before, the more I get out of the music. It's not a rat race. Music should be a pleasurable experience not something that becomes a chore.

DavidW

Cds have been going out of print for years now and some only had limited runs.  It behooves anyone interested in cd purchasing to keep buying now even if you have a backlog.

I see backlogs as great and not terrible.  I have them in music, movies, games, books.  It means that I can turn to what I want when I have the time and interest.  And it naturally happens when I buy discounted or I stream.  Having choices is great and we should never feel some kind of burden or guilt over it.

JBS

I don't listen to the documentary/rehearsal excerpt type of CDs in some sets, and there are sometimes CDs in a set which I know I'm not interested in (Havanaise transcribed for trombone? I'll pass, thank you.)

There are some opera recordings, mostly Wagner boxes, I have yet to listen to even though I've had them for years. Eventually...

Plus a small pile of new purchases waiting their turn to be heard.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on May 14, 2022, 07:32:29 AMThere are some opera recordings, mostly Wagner boxes, I have yet to listen to even though I've had them for years. Eventually...

Which Wagner sets are waiting to be heard? I'd love to go through Karajan's Ring again, but they're just so time consuming. I love the music don't get me wrong, but, man, are these operas long with the exception of Das Rheingold, which is roughly only two hours. :)

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2022, 07:39:59 AM
Which Wagner sets are waiting to be heard? I'd love to go through Karajan's Ring again, but they're just so time consuming. I love the music don't get me wrong, but, man, are these operas long with the exception of Das Rheingold, which is roughly only two hours. :)

Which is why they remain unheard...
I like to listen to operas all in one session, but usually don't have enough time to set apart a three hour or more block of time to do it.
In my case, I have Barenboim's complete Wagner recordings, the set of Solti's Wagner recordings (some of them I've heard as individual issues), a Sony set of great Wagner recordings, the last 40% or so of the Philips 44 CD set of all of Mozart's operas, and the set of Callas's studio recordings (again, some of which I've heard via individual issue).

There's also a bunch of opera DVDs I've not watched.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 14, 2022, 07:00:22 AM
Cds have been going out of print for years now and some only had limited runs.  It behooves anyone interested in cd purchasing to keep buying now even if you have a backlog.

I see backlogs as great and not terrible.  I have them in music, movies, games, books.  It means that I can turn to what I want when I have the time and interest.  And it naturally happens when I buy discounted or I stream.  Having choices is great and we should never feel some kind of burden or guilt over it.

Yes. In reply to the poll: it's a no-stress work-in-progress.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on May 14, 2022, 07:53:26 AM
Which is why they remain unheard...
I like to listen to operas all in one session, but usually don't have enough time to set apart a three hour or more block of time to do it.
In my case, I have Barenboim's complete Wagner recordings, the set of Solti's Wagner recordings (some of them I've heard as individual issues), a Sony set of great Wagner recordings, the last 40% or so of the Philips 44 CD set of all of Mozart's operas, and the set of Callas's studio recordings (again, some of which I've heard via individual issue).

There's also a bunch of opera DVDs I've not watched.

8) Maybe next time you take a vacation, you can knock out the Solti set. :)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2022, 07:39:59 AM

Yes, but Rheingold (which is really closer to 2 1/2), is in one act, though at home you can just listen to a couple of scenes at a time. But sitting through it live in the opera house can be a real ordeal. The others can be heard one act at a time, with only Gotterdammerung I lasting about two hours and the shortest acts being Walkure I and Gotterdammerung II.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

amw

No. According to iTunes, there are 34,631 tracks I have never listened to (out of 191,980), totalling 807 GB. The actual number is lower than that because there are a number of albums I listened to in full before buying/obtaining, and a much larger number recently added as replacements for old MP3 files, but is still probably in the neighbourhood of 20,000 tracks/600 GB, or about ~2,000 CDs worth, out of ~14,000.

I see my purpose as being building a library that I'll continue to dip into for most of my life, however long that may be. So it doesn't particularly bother me that some of the music I have has yet to be listened to in full; I'll probably get to it eventually.

Brian

The only things I have no intention of hearing are discs in Big Box Sets which aren't interesting. For example, I regularly listen to about 30 CDs from the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box, but will never listen to the album where a countertenor sings British and Irish folk songs.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on May 14, 2022, 05:46:23 PM
The only things I have no intention of hearing are discs in Big Box Sets which aren't interesting. For example, I regularly listen to about 30 CDs from the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box, but will never listen to the album where a countertenor sings British and Irish folk songs.

You are the second person who has said that to me, and I also have the box. I absolutely must listen to that countertenor.

JBS

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 14, 2022, 07:30:21 PM
You are the second person who has said that to me, and I also have the box. I absolutely must listen to that countertenor.

Be prepared. You need high tolerance levels of both countertenors and folk songs. Nor does it help that the singer is not only not British or Irish, but isn't a born Anglophone. (Though he's nowhere near as bad as Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's foray into British songs arranged by Haydn and Beethoven.)
I played the first three tracks of that CD, and shut it off.

Brian

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 14, 2022, 07:30:21 PM
I will listen to it unhesitatingly, if you recommend it!

Operafreak

I'm positively sure I didn't

I bough in France, they had such beautifull covers so a lot is neve rplayed
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

(poco) Sforzando

steve ridgway

Quote from: Todd on May 14, 2022, 05:37:09 AM
A new category is needed: Yes, except for new purchases in the to-hear pile/folder/queue.

That's where I'm at but it's not a large queue and will be all played as I cycle through so I voted Yes.