Instrument you unfortunetly can't stand it annoy ya?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, May 14, 2022, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello kind folks of GMG

Said to my sister my weakness, was clarinet the instrument I cannot stand, I ask my sister what was her instrument she could ain't stand, she said Trumpette lol, she totally hate it (good to know let's put it in a personnal memory agenda). Now even if you like. or you are in love whit music perhaps some instrument give you problem you resent it, it exceed yah, it drive yah mad if someone would play it next to your house in the morning (Tuba Joke).

Tell me folks I want a mximun of answer I want to know what instrument annoy yah, you don't like and find it like irritating, in other words  it make ya want to kill(joke)?

:laugh:

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

steve ridgway

I've always enjoyed saxophones in rock music, it's recorders that I can't stand.

Herman

If all guitars ceased to be, my life would be perfect

Iota

Saxophone isn't a pleasant experience for me. Though in some rock/new age/contemporary/jazz settings I can go to the opposite extreme and love it. Will sometimes put up with it in jazz settings just because of the sheer quality of the musicianship, though jazz is not a genre I frequent very much.

If a soprano voice with a wide wobble counts as an instrument, then that definitely gets included too.

Jo498

I also dislike saxophone in CM, it's o.k. in Jazz both solo and in a big band. Not fond of harp and I used to intensely dislike guitar and lute. But I am getting old and got a half dozen Julian Bream discs a few months ago and even earlier some other guitar music. Still not favorite instruments but I don't dislike them anymore.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mirror Image

I hate the accordion. The bagpipes aren't far behind. I've never cared much for the harpsichord either, but for orchestral "color" it's fine.

Rosalba

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2022, 07:07:59 AM
I hate the accordion. The bagpipes aren't far behind. I've never cared much for the harpsichord either, but for orchestral "color" it's fine.

I don't like accordions either, though melodeons are not too bad, and concertinas are rather nice.

Bagpipes are glorious! :)

I don't like piccolos. Shrill sounds are irritating.

Jo498

There is a cartoon (maybe by Gary Larson) with the caption: Welcome to heaven, here is your harp - Welcome to hell, here's your accordion!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I love trumpet, saxophone, and clarinet. Also I like sensual, somewhat decadent, sound of nylon guitar and accordion.
I don't like violin though I like some violin concertos.

VonStupp

Quote from: Rosalba on May 15, 2022, 07:11:54 AM
Bagpipes are glorious! :)

I was in a small church for a funeral, and I was amazed at how loud bagpipes actually are! This one came down the church aisle, but it would have been just as fine outside, considering the decibel output.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Jo498

Quote from: VonStupp on May 15, 2022, 07:24:51 AM
I was in a small church for a funeral, and I was amazed at how loud bagpipes actually are! This one came down the church aisle, but it would have been just as fine outside, considering the decibel output.
Bagpipes are terrifying, loud and piercing, no wonder that they were used to spur the Scots to war! This sound goes right to the spinal chord and stomach without a detour to the brain...
- Blaise Pascal

VonStupp

Quote from: Jo498 on May 15, 2022, 07:32:32 AM
Bagpipes are terrifying, loud and piercing, no wonder that they were used to spur the Scots to war! This sound goes right to the spinal chord and stomach without a detour to the brain...

:laugh:

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

MusicTurner

Accordions as soloists, though a good performance of Gubaidulina's '7 Worte' can be acceptable ...

Preferably only small doses of bagpipes, brass bands, and a player piano a la Nancarrow.

Am mostly not the biggest fan of the oboe, but I like some of the concertos, such as those by Martinu and Koppel.

I really like saxophones, however.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2022, 07:07:59 AM

Yes to the accordion and bagpipes.  On the harpsichord there are many poor recordings where they shoved the microphone up way too close giving it a harsh, bright sound.  In live performance harpsichords tend to sound way better.

71 dB

I'm an instrumental relativist. Everything depends on the context. How are instrument played together with what other instruments? There are no annoying instruments, only annoying ways to play them...  :P

That said, The European Song Contest provides tons of examples of annoying use of instruments.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Holden

Unless played by an expert, the soprano recorder. Why do music teachers in schools torture themselves by trying to get children to learn to play it en masse?
Cheers

Holden

steve ridgway

I always assumed recorders were the cheapest instruments one could actually play a tune on (as opposed to triangles).

Daverz

Don't like the sound of the vibraphone in Jazz (e.g. Cal Tjader).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Daverz on May 15, 2022, 11:36:57 PM
Don't like the sound of the vibraphone in Jazz (e.g. Cal Tjader).

I have the same reaction.

In classical music I don't really like instruments that make noise (bass drum, cymbals, wind machine). Unless they are used very sparingly I find them an annoyance.

Of standard orchestral instrument, only the piccolo grates on me. I'm surprised at antipathy to the saxophone. I think Vaughan Williams used to to create a unique tone color in some of his later works, and I'm surprised it isn't used more.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington