Instrument you unfortunetly can't stand it annoy ya?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, May 14, 2022, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhomboid

steve ridgway

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 16, 2022, 07:20:37 AM
In classical music I don't really like instruments that make noise (bass drum, cymbals, wind machine). Unless they are used very sparingly I find them an annoyance.

You'd better keep well clear of Varèse then. ;D

LKB

I get it. First ten years of my musical life were as a percussionist, but l got tired of unpitched, loud sounds, took up the oboe and never looked back.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

KevinP

I like the clarinet overall, but it can get to the 'enough already!' stage quicker than other instruments. It seldom gets there in classical music though.

Agree with the accordion, but it's not an instrument likely to turn up in anything I listen to.

Also agree with vibes. I don't hate them, but it's just hard to focus on. (But I still went to see Milt Jackson when he came to town.)

Love the recorder in Bach, especially that funeral cantata. But outside of music I would buy, forget it.

The harmonica, when playing chords and rhythm, can grate pretty quickly, especially if the upper register is overused. Blues harp is totally fine.

geralmar

Flute.  Mozart at least disliked it (probably because of a problematic commission); so I'm in good company.  I detest flute concertos.  As a colorization instrument in orchestral works I have no problem.