5 Favorite Fish to Eat

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, May 21, 2022, 06:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dolphin, whale, , , sorry just kidding.  :D  My fav are below.

Eel
Mackerel
Sea Urchin
Barbouni (Greek Red mullet)
Cod

Mirror Image

Mine are cod, flounder, trout, halibut and haddock.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 21, 2022, 06:49:11 AM
Dolphin, whale, , , sorry just kidding.  :D  My fav are below.

Eal
Mackerel
Sea Urchin
Barbouni (Greek Red mullet)
Cod

^I tried grilled eel only fairly recently at a Japanese restaurant in Chamblee (the "Asian" suburb of Atlanta, maybe you've been there) and I couldn't believe how good it was.

I'm not the biggest fish guy, but I do enjoy some sashimi and sushi from time to time, and some baked salmon.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 21, 2022, 06:56:53 AM
Mine are cod, flounder, trout, halibut and haddock.

They are my 6th-9th. We are pretty much same. Especially I love halibut. Haddock are similar to cod.

San Antone

Catfish, fried
Sardines, with onions and mustard
Salmon, grilled
Sea Bass, steamed in seasoned tomato sauce
Tuna, canned with chipotle mayo and dill relish

Mandryka

Apart from fish fingers, my four other most memorably good fish experiences were:

Fresh caught wild salmon in the Scottish highlands.
Turbot in Cafe Royal on Regent Street in London
Smoked Haddock in an Omelet Arnold Bennet in the Savoy Hotel
Abelone in a little speakeasy type restaurant in San Francisco - Mission or Howard I think

And given the discussion of eel, I'll mention that my worst fish experience was a dish of eel and polenta in a disgusting cafe in Venice (Italy that is.)

Oh, and some mussels which made me really sick in a restaurant in Nice France.

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on May 21, 2022, 07:01:07 AM
Tuna, canned with chipotle mayo and dill relish

And when I come to your house, I'd like it on a toasted sandwich with a slice of melted Gruyère cheese. Please.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 21, 2022, 06:57:19 AM
^I tried grilled eel only fairly recently at a Japanese restaurant in Chamblee (the "Asian" suburb of Atlanta, maybe you've been there) and I couldn't believe how good it was.

I'm not the biggest fish guy, but I do enjoy some sashimi and sushi from time to time, and some baked salmon.

OMG, you are not a fish guy and you just enjoy sushi and sashimi! ;D
Yes, Chamblee is a fun area. As you know, eel is considered to be a delicacy and its price in restaurants ranges bet. $20-50. In big towns in Japan, there are eel speciality restaurants every 10-20 blocks. High-end restaurants use very good charcoals, which are very important, for grilling eels.
A similar, and even better, fish is Anago (conger eel). They are even more tender than eels. You may find them in NY or LA. Maybe in Atlanta as well. I want to know.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jan/22/tamai-tokyo-restaurant-japan-anago-conger-eel

Gurn Blanston

Salmon,
channel catfish,
cod,
mahi mahi,
orange ruffy.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jo498

Smoked trout
other smoked stuff I forgot the name of, probbaly mackerel and another one and cannot eat anyway because too far from the sea and for health reasons, the few times I tried ages ago, I think I liked also smoked eel and halibut
salmon (not smoked)
plaice
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Carp
Gilt-head (sea) bream (Sparus aurata, Dorada, Dourada, Dorade Royale)
Trout
Prussian Carp (Carrassius gibelio)
Smoked Salmon
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on May 21, 2022, 07:05:02 AM
my worst fish experience was a dish of eel and polenta in a disgusting cafe in Venice (Italy that is.)

I ate an excellent dish of cuttlefish-and-polenta in Murano island (of glasswork fame), near Venice. Really delicious.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Holden

If shellfish are included then lobster, oysters and squid

if not then

Blue Cod

Snapper

Smoked salmon

flounder

flathead
Cheers

Holden

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 21, 2022, 07:38:44 AM

OMG, you are not a fish guy and you just enjoy sushi and sashimi! ;D
Yes, Chamblee is a fun area. As you know, eel is considered to be a delicacy and its price in restaurants ranges bet. $20-50. In big towns in Japan, there are eel speciality restaurants every 10-20 blocks. High-end restaurants use very good charcoals, which are very important, for grilling eels.
A similar, and even better, fish is Anago (conger eel). They are even more tender than eels. You may find them in NY or LA. Maybe in Atlanta as well. I want to know.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jan/22/tamai-tokyo-restaurant-japan-anago-conger-eel

Wait, you're right, that doesn't make sense. Maybe I am a fish guy. I just don't seem to buy it all that much when I go grocery shopping for myself, nor am I much of a fisherman.

I feel like I have seen Anago on the menu before, but I can't remember where. I'll look out for it, if it's better than eel.

DavidW

Salmon, tuna steak, catflish, cod.  Salmon comes in twice because I like it both non-smoked and smoked.  One of my favorite breakfasts is smoked salmon with cream cheese on a toasted English muffin.

San Antone

Quote from: DavidW on May 22, 2022, 05:44:38 AM
One of my favorite breakfasts is smoked salmon with cream cheese on a toasted English muffin.

Muffin?  Bagel.   ;D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: San Antone on May 22, 2022, 06:13:17 AM
Muffin?  Bagel.   ;D

That's Lox.

Quote from: Jo498 on May 21, 2022, 11:16:29 AM
Smoked trout
other smoked stuff I forgot the name of, probbaly mackerel and another one and cannot eat anyway because too far from the sea and for health reasons, the few times I tried ages ago, I think I liked also smoked eel and halibut
salmon (not smoked)
plaice

I like smoked trout and smoked eel too!
I didn't know that Germans eat eel.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on May 21, 2022, 11:33:07 AM
I ate an excellent dish of cuttlefish-and-polenta in Murano island (of glasswork fame), near Venice. Really delicious.

I'd like to visit Murano. I believe that's the island Giacomo Casanova, when he was a small child, visited to meet a witch to cure his disease.
I like Sea Bream too.

Quote from: Holden on May 21, 2022, 07:38:09 PM
If shellfish are included then lobster, oysters and squid

if not then

Blue Cod

Snapper

Smoked salmon

flounder

flathead

I haven't eaten flathead fish. I envy you! How is the fish cooked?

San Antone

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 22, 2022, 06:21:07 AM
That's Lox.

Almost all lox is smoked.  But I guess it is a subset of smoked salmon.