5 Favorite Fish to Eat

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, May 21, 2022, 06:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

I like pretty much any fish. Certainly fond of salmon in various guises.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Herman

We always have steamed mackerel in da house, for lunch.

I have always been a big fan of sword fish steaks. I gave it a rest for a couple of years (depletion), but this year I'm back, every Saturday at the market.

My GF says my body's mercury levels will go crazy if I continue this way...

steve ridgway

Our dogs go mad for these dried sprats. :P

Irons

Skate is my favourite, fried or grilled. Will be buying some from a trawler on the beach at Aldborough next month to take home. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on May 24, 2022, 07:54:12 AM
Skate is my favourite, fried or grilled. Will be buying some from a trawler on the beach at Aldborough next month to take home.

I haven't eaten skate. I heard that they are delicious.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2016/06/28/if-skate-wing-is-so-cheap-and-plentiful-and-popular-why-arent-we-eating-more-of-it/

Holden

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 22, 2022, 06:23:33 AM
I'd like to visit Murano. I believe that's the island Giacomo Casanova, when he was a small child, visited to meet a witch to cure his disease.
I like Sea Bream too.

I haven't eaten flathead fish. I envy you! How is the fish cooked?

Flathead look a bit like flounder but are not from the same family. Their nearest edible relative would probably be the gurnard. Unlike flounder they are thick enough to cut into fillets and cook in the pan or oven. Delicious.

Cheers

Holden

david johnson

Cod, trout, fried catfish, salmon, fish sticks ;) all with fresh squeezed lemon juice

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

rhomboid

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on May 25, 2022, 07:57:42 AM
Well informed article.

I saw skate fish in Greece many times and have been curious about it. I will try next time.  :D

Irons

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 26, 2022, 03:07:19 PM

I saw skate fish in Greece many times and have been curious about it. I will try next time.  :D

Enjoy.

Papy Oli

Smoked salmon slices
Grilled salmon steaks
Battered cod or plaice
A nice fish pie
Mackerel
Olivier

vandermolen

Salmon
Sea Bass
Cod
Mackerel
Herring
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 28, 2022, 01:24:38 AM
Smoked salmon slices
Grilled salmon steaks
Battered cod or plaice
A nice fish pie
Mackerel

Quote from: vandermolen on May 28, 2022, 01:30:31 AM
Salmon
Sea Bass
Cod
Mackerel
Herring

Glad to see that some members like Mackerel like I do. I like its thick meat. I haven't eaten plaice, and would love to try someday. I was surprised to see that many members like cod as I do. Jeffrey, are Cod fish mainly caught around the north England and Scotland? I think herring was mentioned only by Jeffrey. I believe herring is very popular among Scandinavian nations.

steve ridgway

Cod and haddock are the principal fish and chips species. Well, named fish and chips species - if they say "just fish" it's best to have a pie. I also enjoy salmon, plaice, sardines, whitebait and pickled herring. Occasionally we've had other fish like red snapper, sea bass or trout.

Sergeant Rock

Herring, especially kippers
Turbot (Steinbutt)
Trout
Monkfish (Seeteufel)
Salmon, including smoked
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lisztianwagner

Salmon (especially smoked salmon)
Sea Bream
Sea Bass
Trout
Eel
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 28, 2022, 09:41:03 AM
Herring, especially kippers
Turbot (Steinbutt)
Trout
Monkfish (Seeteufel)
Salmon, including smoked

The list looks great! I am curious about kippers!

A little old news article: Kippers, the breakfast dish that fell out of favour, are back on British menus.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/apr/07/food-kippers-smoked-fish-sales-revival?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 28, 2022, 09:18:06 AM
Cod and haddock are the principal fish and chips species. Well, named fish and chips species - if they say "just fish" it's best to have a pie. I also enjoy salmon, plaice, sardines, whitebait and pickled herring. Occasionally we've had other fish like red snapper, sea bass or trout.

I have visited Vancouver, Canada several times, and I liked Fish and Chips restaurants there. In general they had cod, sockeye salmon and halibut. They all were great. I should go back there sometime.

Irons

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 28, 2022, 03:00:15 PM
I have visited Vancouver, Canada several times, and I liked Fish and Chips restaurants there. In general they had cod, sockeye salmon and halibut. They all were great. I should go back there sometime.

Whitby in the north of England is famous for fish and chips. Also Dracula, but I don't think the two are related. ;D