5 Favorite Fish to Eat

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, May 21, 2022, 06:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on May 29, 2022, 01:34:27 AM
Whitby in the north of England is famous for fish and chips. Also Dracula, but I don't think the two are related. ;D

Thanks for the info. I always wanted to visit the fish and chips places in the U.K. I will check the city on internet. I assume they have nice beer as well. Hopefully I will visit there and perhaps Scotland and Wales as well. I like the architecture in northern England, so it must be a wonderful trip.

Biffo

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 28, 2022, 09:18:06 AM
Cod and haddock are the principal fish and chips species. Well, named fish and chips species - if they say "just fish" it's best to have a pie. I also enjoy salmon, plaice, sardines, whitebait and pickled herring. Occasionally we've had other fish like red snapper, sea bass or trout.

I would rather risk 'just fish' than the 'meat' you get in a take-away pie.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 28, 2022, 06:39:25 AM
Glad to see that some members like Mackerel like I do. I like its thick meat. I haven't eaten plaice, and would love to try someday. I was surprised to see that many members like cod as I do. Jeffrey, are Cod fish mainly caught around the north England and Scotland? I think herring was mentioned only by Jeffrey. I believe herring is very popular among Scandinavian nations.
Not too sure Manabu but if you visit Whitby you must see the ruined Abbey.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on May 30, 2022, 05:26:05 AM
Not too sure Manabu but if you visit Whitby you must see the ruined Abbey.

Wow, the Abbey looks very elegant! Do you have a mixed feeling if it's worth visiting there for me?

Holden

Quote from: Irons on May 29, 2022, 01:34:27 AM
Whitby in the north of England is famous for fish and chips. Also Dracula, but I don't think the two are related. ;D

I had Fish n Chips in Whitby on my last visit to the UK - it's one of those must do things. I caught the steam train from Pickering which was not far from where I was staying in Haxby/Wigginton. The most popular option - the Magpie Cafe - was crowded so I went to Russell's which was just up the street. They were as good as everyone said. One caveat, don't eat them in an exposed place outside. The seagulls there are large and take no prisoners.

One fish that I thought about adding to the list but eventually dismissed is NZ whitebait. They can only be caught in season and is trapped in specially designed nets as they move up rivers from the sea in spring. Cooked the correct way, they are delicious. The reason I eventually didn't add them was because of the their very high price which last season was around $NZ140 per kilo.
Cheers

Holden

Rosalba

Sardine
Plaice
Herring (as kippers)
Mackerel
Cod

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 22, 2022, 06:21:07 AM
I like smoked trout and smoked eel too!
I didn't know that Germans eat eel.

Mrs. Rock is German; she loves smoked eel. Me, I'm not a big fan.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Jo498

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 22, 2022, 06:21:07 AM
I like smoked trout and smoked eel too!
I didn't know that Germans eat eel.
You apparently have never seen one of the more famous German movies, "The tin drum"... otherwise you'd very probably remember the scene with the eels...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Jo498 on May 31, 2022, 08:38:29 AM
You apparently have never seen one of the more famous German movies, "The tin drum"... otherwise you'd very probably remember the scene with the eels...

One of my fav movies, but I saw it decades ago. I will re-watch it. Also, I will inquire my German friend with whom I often discuss about delicious mushrooms there.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 31, 2022, 08:14:19 AM
Mrs. Rock is German; she loves smoked eel. Me, I'm not a big fan.

Sarge

;D ;D

André

Quote from: Jo498 on May 31, 2022, 08:38:29 AM

After Günter Grass' novel. Who by the way also wrote The Flounder  :).

Grilled sardines
Grilled tuna
Cod
Salmon (any which way: raw, grilled, smoked...)
Monkfish

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: André on May 31, 2022, 03:03:52 PM
After Günter Grass' novel. Who by the way also wrote The Flounder  :).

Grilled sardines
Grilled tuna
Cod
Salmon (any which way: raw, grilled, smoked...)
Monkfish

I think you are the only one who mentioned Tuna. Another member mentioned Monkfish, and I don't know the fish. I will look for it!

P.s. Monkfish looks delicious. ;D  I would love to try it. Some articles say that its meat tastes like lobster!

Jo498

The scene is mostly about the fishing method with a half-decayed horse-head as bait that is pulled up full of writhing eels, so disgusting that a character is later unable to eat the eel dish.
The "flounder" (Der Butt) refers to the fairy tale with the Fisherman (and his overambitious wife) encountering a speaking flounder who can grant wishes (but I have not read the Grass novel).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Irons

Quote from: Holden on May 30, 2022, 01:05:58 PM
I had Fish n Chips in Whitby on my last visit to the UK - it's one of those must do things. I caught the steam train from Pickering which was not far from where I was staying in Haxby/Wigginton. The most popular option - the Magpie Cafe - was crowded so I went to Russell's which was just up the street. They were as good as everyone said. One caveat, don't eat them in an exposed place outside. The seagulls there are large and take no prisoners.

One fish that I thought about adding to the list but eventually dismissed is NZ whitebait. They can only be caught in season and is trapped in specially designed nets as they move up rivers from the sea in spring. Cooked the correct way, they are delicious. The reason I eventually didn't add them was because of the their very high price which last season was around $NZ140 per kilo.

You did not lose out. The Magpie Cafe was for us not a pleasant dining experience - too crowded by far. We had far better fish and chips at other restaurants in Whitby of which there are many. Great town, I enjoyed my visit enormously. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 30, 2022, 08:31:25 AM
Wow, the Abbey looks very elegant! Do you have a mixed feeling if it's worth visiting there for me?

Well, Whitby was the home of Dracula's author Bram Stoker! I have had two enjoyable holidays in Whitby. I was surprised to find a record shop there selling an LP of Allan Pettersson's 6th Symphony. It is much further for you to come than for me. It is in a nice area - the North Yorkshire Moors.

This story has been all over the news here:
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/binley-mega-chippy-midlands-fish-24108524
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 31, 2022, 03:10:54 PM
I think you are the only one who mentioned Tuna. Another member mentioned Monkfish, and I don't know the fish. I will look for it!

P.s. Monkfish looks delicious. ;D  I would love to try it. Some articles say that its meat tastes like lobster!

Monkfish not only tastes like lobster (a bit) but has the same texture as lobster tail: firm, almost chewy yet tender. A true delicacy IMO. 2 weeks ago I ate a nice plate of grilled monkfish by the banks of Canal du Midi in France.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I am very interested in Kippers, Flathead, Monkfish, and Skate. I hope I will try all of them soon after the pandemic.

On my list, I forgot to mention my very favorite fish, blowfish/puffer. I eat them sashimi or grilled only at licensed and well-reputed restaurants.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/24/pufferfish-poison-japan/4051565/

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on June 01, 2022, 12:53:51 AM
You did not lose out. The Magpie Cafe was for us not a pleasant dining experience - too crowded by far. We had far better fish and chips at other restaurants in Whitby of which there are many. Great town, I enjoyed my visit enormously.

Quote from: vandermolen on June 01, 2022, 02:36:14 AM
Well, Whitby was the home of Dracula's author Bram Stoker! I have had two enjoyable holidays in Whitby. I was surprised to find a record shop there selling an LP of Allan Pettersson's 6th Symphony. It is much further for you to come than for me. It is in a nice area - the North Yorkshire Moors.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/binley-mega-chippy-midlands-fish-24108524

Thank you gents. I would love to visit Whitby. I saw the pics and I found the area very elegant. I generally like dark brown and grey architecture rather than those with red, green, or even gold. I would like to visit Scotland as well, and possibly even the north end of Scotland, if it's worth, and eat fish lunch there.   ;D

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 01, 2022, 02:36:14 AM

Yes Jeffrey a memorable journey by car through the moors to reach Whitby. Whitby is where Goths meet up.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 31, 2022, 03:10:54 PM

P.s. Monkfish looks delicious. ;D 

I think you can see why it's called Seeteufel (sea devil) in German! It is delicious though (yes, comparable to lobster).

Sarge 
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"