How do you feel about remixing classical music?

Started by Snik81, May 26, 2022, 11:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snik81

I realize this might be a controversial one - but remixing classical music? How do you feel about it?

I am in the process of creating my first tune based off Massenet's Meditation from Thaïs, and I would really like your honest opinions. You can read about the process and listen to the latest draft on my sleep music site:

https://www.music-for-sleep.net/production/remixing-meditation-from-thais-by-massenet

Edit - you can access the song directly here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-589884951/messing-with-massenet-very-early-draft

It is a long story, but I needed sleep music for our baby - and my first thought was of course classical. However; I very quickly discovered that the great composers had a liking for crescendos and sudden sounds - even in the soft and slow works. So I decided to try to modify some works for sleeping. It is a task I apporach with the utmost respect, and I would like to hear what you guys think. Is it possible to do properly or are you getting angry listening to it? ;)

Look forward to hearing from you!

Daverz

I can't sleep with music playing.  I use a fan as a white noise generator.

71 dB

For best sleep music I recommend new age music made for relaxation and better sleep. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Eyes-Soothing-Relaxation-Insomnia/dp/B005IVEVOW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=21FORZWF4ZB4N&keywords=new+age+sleep&qid=1653653090&s=music&sprefix=new+age+sleep%2Cmusic-intl-ship%2C160&sr=1-1

Quote from: Daverz on May 26, 2022, 05:31:31 PMI use a fan as a white noise generator.

The noise fans generate is far from white. I'd say it is close to green noise.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

I used to sleep to music all the time. I had one of those portable speaker units that would allow me to hook up either a CD player, an MD player or an iPod. I would always go to sleep to something on the Windham Hill label like Will Ackerman. Something that wasn't intrusive and soothing. I would also play some Robert Fripp soundscape recordings.

Snik81

Hehe - I can see this discussion has drifted off somewhat - so no opinions on remixing of classical music?

But thanks for the input - useful stuff, seeing that I am running a webiste on sleep music.

Quote from: Daverz on May 26, 2022, 05:31:31 PM
I can't sleep with music playing.  I use a fan as a white noise generator.

I have an article on different styles of sleep music, but you just reminded me I need to include white/pink/brown noise even though it is not actually music - a lot of people seem to find it helpful in sleeping.

Quote from: 71 dB on May 27, 2022, 04:06:14 AM
For best sleep music I recommend new age music made for relaxation and better sleep. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Eyes-Soothing-Relaxation-Insomnia/dp/B005IVEVOW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=21FORZWF4ZB4N&keywords=new+age+sleep&qid=1653653090&s=music&sprefix=new+age+sleep%2Cmusic-intl-ship%2C160&sr=1-1

The noise fans generate is far from white. I'd say it is close to green noise.

I wanted to listen to Star Eyes, but I couldn't find it on Spotify unfortunately.

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2022, 07:06:30 AM
I used to sleep to music all the time. I had one of those portable speaker units that would allow me to hook up either a CD player, an MD player or an iPod. I would always go to sleep to something on the Windham Hill label like Will Ackerman. Something that wasn't intrusive and soothing. I would also play some Robert Fripp soundscape recordings.

Will Ackerman is great - soothing and relaxing - thanks for the tip! Robert Fripp I found a bit too challenging for sleep purposes, but still very nice music:)

steve ridgway

Remixing classical music for a purpose such as this seems fine to me, it's not the same as for example claiming you've improved it.

We also like the Cryosleep stream on our internet radio.

relm1

I'm not clear how you are defining mixing.  To me, mixing is a required part of post-production, but I have a feeling you mean creating a compilation of connected music?

steve ridgway

Remixing in the popular music sense means the production of a derivative work from portions of the original plus other material.

Pizzicato-Polka

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 28, 2022, 09:09:24 AM
Remixing in the popular music sense means the production of a derivative work from portions of the original plus other material.

I really like that when it's done as a cover of classical in another genre, for example a rock medley like A Last Illusion by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. If we're talking purely classical medleys/remixes, then that's neat too, even if I'd probably rather listen to the original pieces.

In the end, many composers did variations on themes of others, so why not! :)

Snik81

Thanks for the replies - sounds like you are generally positive to remixing, but I realize I have hidden my track too far down on my site - maybe easier with SoundCloud. Have a listen and let me know what you think about this:

https://soundcloud.com/user-589884951/messing-with-massenet-very-early-draft

This is a very early draft, and the track still need lots of work - I would appreciate any input - still very much open for suggestions.