Author Topic: Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, Op. 2b (Sinfonia Solenne)  (Read 326 times)

Offline krummholz

• Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)
Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, Op. 2b (Sinfonia Solenne)
« on: May 31, 2022, 05:16:27 PM »
I am pleased to present the fully orchestral version of my Sinfonia Solenne, which I'm now calling my Symphony No. 1 and giving the opus number 2b (the finished strings-only version I posted last week is now my Op. 2a). There are a few new elements here, most notably that the work opens with a soft timpani roll, as does the recurrence of the main fugue; and in 3 passages in the score there is a sparse, very quiet bass line given tentatively to the timpani (I don't know how quickly timpanists can retune - if it's unplayable as written i can rescore the parts where pitch is essential for double basses, pizzicato).

The work is scored for two flutes and a piccolo, two clarinets and a bass clarinet, two oboes, cor anglais, two F horns and two C trumpets (I call for a D6 which I don't think a B-flat trumpet can reach - but I could be wrong), bassoon and contrabasson, trombone, bass trombone, tuba, timpani, a string quartet, and standard strings including double basses. The string ensemble is in some places reduced to 2 or 3 players per section for a purer, more transparent sound, but I do not call for a separate "chamber strings" choir as I did in the strings-only version. The low brass are used VERY sparingly, as is the piccolo. Percussion is limited to the timpani; this is mostly a slightly expanded classical orchestra; I think the size is similar to what Robert Simpson used for several of his symphonies.

The rendering was done with Sibelius + NotePerformer using Concert Hall reverb level. I do not like that much reverb and think the sound in this version is a little on the muddy side, but since that's the only kind of hall this version could be performed in, I felt I had to go with it. There are places where the inner voices are obscured a lilttle by the reverb, but others where the distinctive timbres helps to bring them out, so it might be a wash.

As always, feedback is welcome.

Update as of 2100 UTC on 15 July (final update, I think). A few minor tweaks for clarity and to improve the rendering (which is now done with "Large Room" reverb level).

Audio file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sTBg9J7FvQZHFDBGrLSxkmpJm82gD-0z/view?usp=sharing

Score used for rendering (tabloid format): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BoTmJvOBp_6PQ8aZxvQInuT6j-33m_Ph/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 02:47:36 PM by krummholz »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, Op. 2b (Sinfonia Solenne)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 12:20:18 AM »
I enjoyed it. It reminded me at times of Mahler and Bruckner but in a modern tonal idiom. Peter Sculthorpe's 'Memento Mori' also came to mind.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline krummholz

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 01:53:49 AM »
I enjoyed it. It reminded me at times of Mahler and Bruckner but in a modern tonal idiom. Peter Sculthorpe's 'Memento Mori' also came to mind.

Thanks! Yes, there are a couple of Mahlerian angry snarls on the muted trumpet, a tip of the hat to Gustav as it were. I guess the solemnity does recall Bruckner to some extent. I do not know the Sculthorpe though and will have to check it out.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 02:00:22 AM »
Thanks! Yes, there are a couple of Mahlerian angry snarls on the muted trumpet, a tip of the hat to Gustav as it were. I guess the solemnity does recall Bruckner to some extent. I do not know the Sculthorpe though and will have to check it out.

It's here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxKBwtz27fA
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 04:27:59 AM »
It sounded great, congratulations!

Offline krummholz

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 06:46:28 AM »
It's here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxKBwtz27fA

Thank you! A very moving work, and a composer until now unknown to me...

Offline krummholz

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 06:46:53 AM »
It sounded great, congratulations!

Thank you!!