Symphony no. 11

Started by lunar22, August 26, 2023, 05:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunar22

a couple of months ago, I posted a link to my first string quintet. I thought I'd see this time if there is any interest on this forum in my 11th symphony. Some people have said it's my most striking and I tend to agree though for those of a non-violent disposition, it might be best to look elsewhere. It's the centrepiece of what I call my War Trilogy which has some conceptual similarities to Weinberg 17th-19th (and indeed my 12th quotes directly from Weinberg 19 which is one of my favourite symphonies). There are a lot of swooping glissandi which might be taken to symbolize air raids or cries of grief -- or indeed anything you might care to imagine. There is not a literal programme.

The link to my orchestral works can be found here https://play.reelcrafter.com/dko22/symphonies

krummholz

On my "to listen to" list - hopefully soon.

lunar22

thanks -- will be interesting to see what you make of it!

krummholz

Striking indeed! And unremittingly dark, with no real letup in the tension from start to finish despite some quieter, more meditative passages. The stabbing, repeated notes in cross-rhythms that recur many times are quite effective. I very much liked it!

A question: I believe you said you use Dorico, yet isn't Dorico incapable of a true glissando and has to simulate the effect with a chromatic scale? Or did I misunderstand something? Your glissandi sound like true glissandi in this rendering and not mere chromatic runs, so I'm confused... unless Dorico has finally solved that problem.

lunar22

many thanks for getting round to this, Liz and your kind words. I'm glad the work seems to have done something for you! As to your question, Dorico does not yet have an official gliss but it's clear they are planning to implement it through pitch bend shortly -- with luck in the next formal release. Recent updates mean it's just about possible to emulate it with a bit of experimentation.