Greg's Gazebo

Started by greg, August 30, 2007, 11:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

Quote from: greg on September 21, 2007, 05:51:54 PM
i got past the 1' mark safely.....
but now something is happening that is just wrong. Every time i try to open my .nwc file, it doesn't open- just has an error message, "this file failed to open. It may not exist or may be corrupted."

i added this 4-note bass line that transitions the music to the next section that's really, really striking, it's somewhat Shostakovich-like. But when i saved the MIDI file, it doesn't even get there. It stops a few bars before that. And what's weird is when i play back, sometimes the bass line doesn't even play at all, SOMETIMES. It's totally random. and how can playback be random, that doesn't make sense  ???

It's cursed, Greg ..........

greg

i just need a voodoo potion  :(

greg

I've finished putting everything down in MIDI :)
But.... i want to post everything on the first post of this thread, i just need to get it into mp3 format. Anyone who can do this for me? I've tried doing this myself- i'd rather not go into the details, but it just isn't working out.  :P
i have op.1-12 and the clip of op.13 (or shall i say preview8) ) i want to make op.1-3 (each have 3 movements) into one file, with nice-sized pauses to seperate the movements, but i'm pretty sure i'll be able to do that myself

karlhenning

Quote from: greg on September 22, 2007, 04:47:36 AM
i just need a voodoo potion

I'll send you the e-mail address of an accredited witch-doctor . . . .

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on October 04, 2007, 06:59:18 AM
I'll send you the e-mail address of an accredited witch-doctor . . . .
cool, go ahead

BachQ

Quote from: greg on October 04, 2007, 06:36:53 AM
with nice-sized pauses to seperate the movements,

We'll pay especial attention to pause length, Greg ........ and critique you accordingly ........

karlhenning

Quote from: greg on October 04, 2007, 03:49:17 PM
cool, go ahead

It's a while since I've been in touch with him, and he's moved into hedge fund management now.

greg

ok, i've updated.
i have the rest of my freakish stuff in MIDI, just check on the first page.

EDIT: just changed the link. Using MediaFire now for all my files, it's the best  :)

greg

man, i thought i was never going to get anywhere on op.13! I stopped on 1:26 when the thing was lost. I rewrote the whole beginning exactly how it was before, then trying to write new stuff after that. I must've tried 7 or so different things, or sections, over the course of 4 or 5 different days of actual work. Then 2 nights ago, I finally wrote something that would bring me out to new sections- the solution, after an excessive amount of thinking, was somewhat simple. Sustain the bass drum roll and the low, almost inaudible horns. Write a free solo flute line- then i didn't know what to do after that. After working last night, I wrote for over an hour straight, writing 1:36 to 2:11 (in the music). Over 30 seconds, not too bad in one sitting.

At 1:48 a melody starts (the first developmentally possible melody!) which is something that really caught my attention- wow! How should I describe it? A melody that asks a question mark in a forest? One thing I'm wondering about is the bass drum roll. I'm writing the longest bass drum roll I know of, and i can't erase it because it sounds good with it being sustained, it is THE glue that holds the music together between these "sections". It starts at 1:23, but I can't see it ending until at least 2:30, probably 3:00 even. Whether a bass drummer can hold a quiet drum roll that long, i don't know  ???

BachQ

Quote from: greg on October 24, 2007, 06:36:45 AM
At 1:48 a melody starts (the first developmentally possible melody!) which is something that really caught my attention- wow! How should I describe it? A melody that asks a question mark in a forest?

At some point, it may be helpful to provide the music so that we may listen to it .........

johnQpublic

Quote from: greg on October 24, 2007, 06:36:45 AMIt starts at 1:23, but I can't see it ending until at least 2:30, probably 3:00 even. Whether a bass drummer can hold a quiet drum roll that long, i don't know  ???

No problem concerning player physical aspects and so long as its a concert bass drum that can angled to play sustained rolls there's no instrumental physical problems either.

karlhenning

Quote from: greg on October 24, 2007, 06:36:45 AM
A melody that asks a question mark in a forest?

That's beautiful.

BachQ

How does a questionmark in a forest differ from, say, a questionmark in a heath or glade?

karlhenning

Quote from: D Minor on October 24, 2007, 09:23:32 AM
How does a questionmark in a forest differ from, say, a questionmark in a heath or glade?

That's beautiful, too.

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on October 24, 2007, 09:27:31 AM
That's beautiful, too.

Mvt 1: Forest queries
Mvt 2: Heath queries
Mvt 3 .......

greg

Quote from: johnQpublic on October 24, 2007, 08:35:21 AM
No problem concerning player physical aspects and so long as its a concert bass drum that can angled to play sustained rolls there's no instrumental physical problems either.

phew....  :)

i'll try to upload the music, hopefully i can get it up in less than an hour, though it might be tomorrow... i still have to fix a few things to fix from the transition of rewriting that first minute

(one thing that concerns me when it's listened to other people is that their MIDI might be different from mine. It can throw off the dynamics a lot, and dynamics are everything  >:( )

but hey, this is a good idea, maybe every time i write a few more minutes you guys could listen to the new minutes and comment if you want. I'll make sure to update from time to time  :)

johnQpublic

MIDI sucks...get real live musicians  ;)

greg

Quote from: johnQpublic on October 24, 2007, 10:11:21 AM
MIDI sucks...get real live musicians  ;)
you got a spare orchestra you can lend me, John? ;)

greg

ok, here it is.
so, i just want to know, is the bridge (1:29-1:47) a bit "awkward" or do you think it fits?
i just added the glockenspiel part less than 20 min ago lol... when i listen to it i'm thinking that it just really needed it! But after i listen, it REALLY helped the bridge sound better, when the contrabass and timpani are playing chromatics. I'm just not 100% sure about those seconds in between....

greg

i think i'll update at about 7' then 12' or something, and it'll be somewhere under 20'.
somewhat fixed the "bridge" section- BUT now i'm considering putting a (figurative) big black line, to make sure of a seperation between the 2 sections, which i now know are definitely 2 distinct personalities. This will ensure that my music doesn't sound like it has multiple personality disorder.  ;D

last night i just typed and typed.... man, this stuff is coming along great!!! i don't think i could've done it with just a piano and sheets of staff paper.