Greg's Gazebo

Started by greg, August 30, 2007, 11:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locrian

There's a flying monkey in Greg's gazebo!!!

greg

oh no!
what shall we do?

i'll call......
The Deadly Shooting Monkey to the rescue!

but as he soon realizes, the Poopy Flying Monkey is his brother!

oh no, will he murder his own brother for the sake of Greg's Gazebo?.......

mikkeljs

Hey Greg!  :) How are you? Have you composed something new?

BachQ

Quote from: mikkeljs on October 29, 2007, 01:09:34 PM
Have you composed something new?

Yes, he had a newly minted score for a grand opera ......... but he pooped on it .........

johnQpublic

Mint flavored scores give me "the runs".

greg

Quote from: Herzog Wildfang on October 29, 2007, 01:40:28 PM
Yes, he had a newly minted score for a grand opera ......... but he pooped on it .........
:-[

Quote from: mikkeljs on October 29, 2007, 01:09:34 PM
Hey Greg!  :) How are you? Have you composed something new?
sup, Mikkel! Yeah, check on the first post of this thread. I have all of my stuff there linked to mediafire... a lot of it is just weird short little experiments but one piece i like more and more when i hear it is the op.11 "We'll C" (based off of Terry Riley's In C). And I'm working on an op.13, my first orchestral piece, "Night", which i have clips of.... though i've changed a bit of it so the clips are just to give everyone an idea, as i said i'll probably update when i'm halfway or 1/3 of the way through this piece, which will be just under 20'.

greg

i'm updating because i'm seriously thinking about not writing (or at least TRYING not to write more until I get Finale). I'm figuring with my job I can actually afford it, the two really big purchases i want to make this year (besides a car) is a home gym and Finale (~$500-600 each). I should be making at least $700 a month, if my schedule keeps on going this way i'll still have a couple hundred bucks left each month after the usual stuff to pay for. And community college seems really cheap, i got an e-mail awhile ago from the counselor of the school and she said the class is $337, for 2 months..... it seems like there should be more to this, maybe, i'll find out about that later.

just to let everyone know..... so they don't think i just erased my whole op.13  ;D

greg

ok...... just wanted to post the little changes and the what, 30" extra of music i wrote. The reason I'm doing this is because i'm almost 100% sure i want to delete from 1:25 until the end. I just didn't think the music I was writing was what I wanted for the piece, although it's actually pretty neat sounding stuff.

I write up to 2:54...
1:25 to 1:49 is just a messed up section with a plan to build some bridge, but i'll probably just extend this whole section and do some sort of bridge much later

mahlertitan

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on November 14, 2007, 12:24:50 PM
ok...... just wanted to post the little changes and the what, 30" extra of music i wrote. The reason I'm doing this is because i'm almost 100% sure i want to delete from 1:25 until the end. I just didn't think the music I was writing was what I wanted for the piece, although it's actually pretty neat sounding stuff.

I write up to 2:54...
1:25 to 1:49 is just a messed up section with a plan to build some bridge, but i'll probably just extend this whole section and do some sort of bridge much later

well,
1. TURN OFF THE MOTOR!! or whatever that annoying percussion thing in the background is.
2. Ever heard the word "modulation"? don't you find music that always rest in the same key boring? I know i do
3. Turn of that motor thingy, there is hardly any development in there, i don't know what you "wanted" for the piece, maybe you can clarify beforehand.

BachQ

Turn off the reverb .......

Guido

Finale can be very easily got by, shall we say, less scrupulous methods.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

greg

Quote from: Guido on November 15, 2007, 12:12:04 PM
Finale can be very easily got by, shall we say, less scrupulous methods.
check your pm  ;)

greg

Quote from: GBJGZW on November 15, 2007, 09:18:20 AM
well,
1. TURN OFF THE MOTOR!! or whatever that annoying percussion thing in the background is.
2. Ever heard the word "modulation"? don't you find music that always rest in the same key boring? I know i do
3. Turn of that motor thingy, there is hardly any development in there, i don't know what you "wanted" for the piece, maybe you can clarify beforehand.
1. it's a sustained bass drum...... in a real performance, it wouldn't sound bad, i don't think, because it's more "felt" than anything. But yeah, with MIDI it doesn't sound that great unfortuanetely
2. hmmmmm i'll have to check that again, i thought it sounded fine. Didn't want to build it up just yet, wanted to hold off a bit.
3. I thought the same thing for development, that's why i'm planning to extend the first section. All great thoughts  8)

BachQ

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on November 15, 2007, 01:53:29 PM
1. it's a sustained bass drum......

Of course it is ......... how could we have missed that ?  ::)........

greg

Quote from: D Minor on November 15, 2007, 03:18:56 PM
Of course it is ......... how could we have missed that ?  ::)........

i don't know how GBJGZW missed that  ;D

greg

In each piece that i write, i want a certain attitude, so normally i write a description on the page with the instrumentation in my scores. I wrote a description here as well:

QuoteIn the depths of the deepest night
There is no turning back
Ride on, into blackness
While your dream remains lost forever
i want it to be as dark as a Pettersson symphony hehe  >:D

but the main thing is, after what, over a month, i finally wrote a couple of bars that I like and make sense after where i left off! And there were even a couple of times where i stayed up for 2 hours trying to write something after that point, only to erase during 7 different times.  :P

a couple more things:
-now i've reduced the staves, in Noteworthy, to 2 staves (treble and bass) + percussion (as a 3rd stave). It's much easier to write this way, even if it is at times a bit hard to read. Just layering all the instruments into 3 staves helps, you can still hear which instrument is playing what, anyways...
-i have an idea when it comes to actual scoring..... instead of a standard orchestral score, what'd be cool is to have a default of this setup:

Treble
Winds   Bass

Treble
Keys    Bass

Treble
           Bass
Strings  Percussion

(where Winds= winds and brass, keys= harps, celesta, piano, etc., strings= strings, plus the percussion section)

and it'd be notated like fl, trp, v1-16., and roman numerals for percussion (I for the 1st percussionist, etc.)

i'd keep this as a default..... whenever a section isn't playing, i'd have it whited out. And, for greater readability, new staves can be freely added. But the minimum you'd see on each page is two systems of 7 staves, meaning 14 staves.

-i also need to rewrite all my stuff in Finale...  that might take forever lol :P

greg

i hereby retire from composing indefinetely (maybe a year or so)....

ok, i guess i'm not retiring, but i doubt i'll have time for quite a while now that i know i'm going to school soon.....

my sketches... i only wrote a couple seconds more, but i like the transition- hardly thought i could've made it out of that section safely, but finally did.

karlhenning

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on December 27, 2007, 08:31:29 AM
. . . but i doubt i'll have time for quite a while now that i know i'm going to school soon.....

Oh, that's all right then.

I was worried that you were giving up composition in order to devote more time to establishing the 71 dB Center for Vibrational Field Research  8)

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on December 27, 2007, 08:33:20 AM
Oh, that's all right then.

I was worried that you were giving up composition in order to devote more time to establishing the 71 dB Center for Vibrational Field Research  8)
no, actually, that's why Ubloobideega gave up composing.

stopped at op.9,543,768.... and that op.9,543,769 he was working on was a masterpiece!  :-\

mikkeljs

I liked that composition very much Greg!  :) Have you got time to study some theory or just make some analysis?