Greg's Gazebo

Started by greg, August 30, 2007, 11:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkeljs

Do you know, if there exists a piano transcription of Xenakis´s Mycenae Alpha? I just found it on youtube with it´s graphic score. I think it would be more ideal to arrange it for large ensemble orchestra with lots of strings, but I think microtonal and very complex sounds like that can easily be transcript for piano.

I read, that Messiaens bird transcriptions were critizised by ornitoliges for being not autentical, though Messiaen claimed, that he tried to copy the birds very precisely. One of the problems is, that the bird songs are microtonal. But Messiaen always write two voices as parrallels on a given interval, and a few times the interval chances. That results in very complex sounds. To me it sounds pretty much alike the bird songs.

By inspiration from Messiaen and Ives, I think it could be interresting to write a piano transcription of Mycenae Alpha if it doesn´t exists.

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on December 31, 2007, 09:18:28 AM
I liked that composition very much Greg!  :) Have you got time to study some theory or just make some analysis? 
you mean the fragment to "Night"? good to hear  :)

Quote from: mikkeljs on December 31, 2007, 10:28:04 AM
Do you know, if there exists a piano transcription of Xenakis´s Mycenae Alpha? I just found it on youtube with it´s graphic score. I think it would be more ideal to arrange it for large ensemble orchestra with lots of strings, but I think microtonal and very complex sounds like that can easily be transcript for piano.

I read, that Messiaens bird transcriptions were critizised by ornitoliges for being not autentical, though Messiaen claimed, that he tried to copy the birds very precisely. One of the problems is, that the bird songs are microtonal. But Messiaen always write two voices as parrallels on a given interval, and a few times the interval chances. That results in very complex sounds. To me it sounds pretty much alike the bird songs.

By inspiration from Messiaen and Ives, I think it could be interresting to write a piano transcription of Mycenae Alpha if it doesn´t exists.
now that's a fun idea!  :D

http://youtube.com/watch/v/yztoaNakKok
(i didn't even know it was on youtube, good thing you found it for me)

i have followed the score, but a video is extra nice...... as for transcribing it to piano, i'm surprised you think it wouldn't be too hard! You're the piano guy, so i don't think i could do it.... if you wanna try it out, i'd love it if you could post a sound file and the score on this thread, if you can. Good luck, i think you'll need it  ;D

mikkeljs

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on December 31, 2007, 11:29:00 AM

now that's a fun idea!  :D

http://youtube.com/watch/v/yztoaNakKok
(i didn't even know it was on youtube, good thing you found it for me)

i have followed the score, but a video is extra nice...... as for transcribing it to piano, i'm surprised you think it wouldn't be too hard! You're the piano guy, so i don't think i could do it.... if you wanna try it out, i'd love it if you could post a sound file and the score on this thread, if you can. Good luck, i think you'll need it  ;D

I think it would be possible to realize in a good way, but not easy to  perform.  ;D 

The structural precision nature of this music must result, that many passages should be taken exact from the graphic score and transmitted to the keys. But I think I would experiment a bit in some places, fx for single tones or glissandi, and combine them with extra keys on the piano, to substitute the microtones and flow otherwise.

greg

$#@! haven't listened to Mycenae Alpha in awhile..... listening right now and can't believe how cool it sounds..... for a piano transription, you'd tons of chromatic glissandos, and most likely 4 hands since such big chords couldn't be played w/2 hands.
Following the score, I could see Xenakis skill, as it's much than someone simply drawing anything on the screen. Certain sounds don't even sound like it's coming from the machine.... for example, at 4'09" it sounds like someone blowing into a microphone at what sounds like the end of a section, and then it goes into some sound that's like a train.

i like the comments, too- at least most of them. But my favorite is this:
QuoteIm simplily fascinated to learn more about contemporary music
0:)

ok, off to listen to La Legende!  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: mikkeljs on December 31, 2007, 11:49:21 AM
I think it would be possible to realize in a good way, but not easy to  perform.  ;D 

The structural precision nature of this music must result, that many passages should be taken exact from the graphic score and transmitted to the keys. But I think I would experiment a bit in some places, fx for single tones or glissandi, and combine them with extra keys on the piano, to substitute the microtones and flow otherwise.
extra keys on the piano? So do you mean you're going to try to transcribe it for a microtonal piano or something? And maybe make it a prepared piano, too?

greg

oh, btw, you haven't heard of a score for La Legende d'Eer, have you? Like a transcription, sort of like Mycanae Alpha? I'm not sure if he wrote one, or if it has survived....

mikkeljs

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on December 31, 2007, 12:03:50 PM
oh, btw, you haven't heard of a score for La Legende d'Eer, have you? Like a transcription, sort of like Mycanae Alpha? I'm not sure if he wrote one, or if it has survived....

I will check that one out soon.

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on December 31, 2007, 12:00:20 PM

extra keys on the piano? So do you mean you're going to try to transcribe it for a microtonal piano or something? And maybe make it a prepared piano, too?

No I just mean, I would add some notes in the piano transcription, to substitute the lack of microtones. Especially with this low melody that comes alone and returns.

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on December 31, 2007, 12:08:44 PM
No I just mean, I would add some notes in the piano transcription, to substitute the lack of microtones. Especially with this low melody that comes alone and returns.
good, i see you've already got it  ;)

greg

wow, it's been 2 months.....
just over a week ago, i was finally able to write something that convinced myself past that ~2' mark (op.13). That was after months and hours of writing, sometimes staying up 3 hours late, to try 7 different things and then erasing them all.  :(

So now, I've started an op.14, but it's for solo electric guitar. It's like an Etude, although of course I won't call it "Etude" or "Toccata" but i'm still trying to decide on a title.
after that, i'm seriously considering making op.15 an orchestration of Schoenberg's op.15 Book of Hanging Gardens, with text in English.  :)

greg

i've had an idea, though not sure if i'll go through with it.......

"The Universe is Raining Blood", op.13 (for organ and chorus). I'd have to rename "Night" as op.16, though, since op.14 and 15 are already decided.

And as for that solo guitar work, I've figured out a name- "From the Dark Ocean", op.14. It's sort of connected to my op.1 Lighthouse of Black Light...... the connection? Well, how about a picture?

That's the Dark Ocean with the Lighthouse that uses Black Light in the background.

mikkeljs

I must hear your new piece soon. I look very much forward to hear how you have developed. You seem to be quite productive! That´s a very nice thing to be.

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on March 21, 2008, 09:20:15 AM
I must hear your new piece soon. I look very much forward to hear how you have developed. You seem to be quite productive! That´s a very nice thing to be.
I wish i could get it together soon! But the process seems to be slow......
i have, though, finally found the right track on both op.13 and 14. After toooooooooo long and toooooooo much erasing.....

Anyways, yeah, can't wait for everyone to listen when they're finally done!  8)

mikkeljs

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on March 21, 2008, 10:52:11 AM
After toooooooooo long and toooooooo much erasing.....

I heard a funny story about erasing. One of the composer student in Copenhagen have just written an minimalistic horror opera that lasts 1 hour and 40 minuttes, about Poe´s Berenice, and when he was finish, he realized that he had made a calculation mistake 40 minuttes back, so there was two words left from the music in the end. And he could only make it perfect if he recomposed the last 40 minuttes completely different.  ;D

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on March 21, 2008, 04:24:18 PM
minimalistic horror opera
hm, sounds like a new genre......

Quote from: mikkeljs on March 21, 2008, 04:24:18 PM
And he could only make it perfect if he recomposed the last 40 minuttes completely different.  ;D
:-X
i hope he was at least using Finale....

mikkeljs

Do you know how to get a wav-file from cd into the computer and then to the email? I tried, but I don´t think it works. There is this gmgrecording mail, where you post your own recordings. Username: gmgrecordings and password: goodmusicguide

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on March 23, 2008, 02:57:06 AM
Do you know how to get a wav-file from cd into the computer and then to the email? I tried, but I don´t think it works. There is this gmgrecording mail, where you post your own recordings. Username: gmgrecordings and password: goodmusicguide

"gmgrecording mail"...... what? Never heard of it!
is it on this site?

mikkeljs

It´s on yahoo.com There is tons of recordings from gmg´ers in there!  :D

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on March 24, 2008, 12:04:30 AM
It´s on yahoo.com There is tons of recordings from gmg´ers in there!  :D
interesting! Never even knew about it.

But i can't find it.

here's my search, i don't know which link it is.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=gmgrecording+mail&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

mikkeljs

just go to yahoo.com and log in with the username: gmgrecordings and password: goodmusicguide

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on March 30, 2008, 06:37:48 AM
just go to yahoo.com and log in with the username: gmgrecordings and password: goodmusicguide
Cool!  :o

ok, i'm definetely going to check these all out.....

greg

could you repost them as mp3 files? There's really no way to play them, and I really wanna hear!  :)