Greg's Gazebo

Started by greg, August 30, 2007, 11:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

QuoteThe year 2009     30 September 2008

http://www.operacity.jp/en/concert/award/guide.php

The deadline for the Takemitsu competition. I'm not sure I'll have it ready by then...... maybe if the instrumentation rules are the same, i'll send it by 2010. And I wonder who the judges will be, too! They have Lachenmann for 2009, what if they had Penderecki for 2010?  :D

but I do have two goals before Aug.18 (going to school):

1) Finish my video game- Final Fantasy XII...... played over 90 hours so far, it'll take over 120 if I finish all the hunts. (just over 70 if i didn't do the hunts)
2) Finish Night. One thing I've noticed is that as long as I don't make rules for myself when composing, everything turns out fine. That's the only thing I need to stop doing- just play through and whatever comes to mind should be written. And as for recycled materials such as motifs/themes, they should be written again only when I feel like it, instead of thinking that I'm writing in a style where stuff has to be repeated, just do whatever I feel like (that's the Golden Rule).  8)

Well, best spend all my time home writing, eh?  ;)

karlhenning

Where are going to go to school?

greg

Lake Technical Center, Computer Programming. Course lasts about a year......
This is just like a safety net, i suppose, since making a living doing something music-related would be preferable.

karlhenning

I am not the man to despise a non-musical safety net  :)

greg

Just yesterday, i found out the lady I work with goes to that school- she's finishing up pretty soon, but she says it's a "wonderful" school, and that i'll like it. She's taking Legal Administration, and the course lasted about a year. And also, she says they always have programs to help you find jobs (like internship fairs).  0:)

greg

My current project is to make up some lead/rhythm guitar to this club music/techno-like track that my dad's friend created.
Unfortunately, i'm discouraged to play fast shred guitar stuff, but i'll try to find a way to make it interesting somehow.  8)

MN Dave

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on April 28, 2008, 10:56:52 AM
My current project is to make up some lead/rhythm guitar to this club music/techno-like track that my dad's friend created.
Unfortunately, i'm discouraged to play fast shred guitar stuff, but i'll try to find a way to make it interesting somehow.  8)

I'll take a slower, tasty solo over "shredding" (wanking?) any day of the week.

greg

Quote from: MN Brahms on April 28, 2008, 11:01:28 AM
I'll take a slower, tasty solo over "shredding" (wanking?) any day of the week.
Oh, it totally depends...... there are both good and bad slow solos and good and bad shred solos.

MN Dave

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on April 28, 2008, 11:03:14 AM
Oh, it totally depends...... there are both good and bad slow solos and good and bad shred solos.

I suppose so, but shredding always sounds to me like, look how fast I can play!

greg

Quote from: MN Brahms on April 28, 2008, 11:04:47 AM
I suppose so, but shredding always sounds to me like, look how fast I can play!
That's why you need to change the way you listen!

It's sort of someone who listens to Mozart being turned off by Schoenberg, right? He may see Schoenberg as lacking in emotion, when it's just the opposite! Instead, there's tons of emotion, it's just more frantic and extreme..... a good shred-like guitar solo that is EXTREMELY emotional is Steve Vai's For the Love of God.....

check this out. No emotion, eh?  ;)
It's more akin to a cadenza in a violin concerto.
http://youtube.com/watch/v/avKhKDef9Vo

MN Dave

I can't listen now. Will try to remember later.

greg

Quote from: MN Brahms on April 28, 2008, 11:15:31 AM
I can't listen now. Will try to remember later.
Cool dude 

(and if you forget, i'll remind you hehe)  ;)

MN Dave

Hey, Greg, have you ever heard Dragonforce (for the yuks) or Frank Zappa (for the seriously good guitar-playing)?

greg

Quote from: MN Brahms on April 28, 2008, 11:27:03 AM
Hey, Greg, have you ever heard Dragonforce (for the yuks) or Frank Zappa (for the seriously good guitar-playing)?
a little bit. (of both)

MN Dave

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on April 28, 2008, 11:10:12 AM
That's why you need to change the way you listen!

It's sort of someone who listens to Mozart being turned off by Schoenberg, right? He may see Schoenberg as lacking in emotion, when it's just the opposite! Instead, there's tons of emotion, it's just more frantic and extreme..... a good shred-like guitar solo that is EXTREMELY emotional is Steve Vai's For the Love of God.....

check this out. No emotion, eh?  ;)
It's more akin to a cadenza in a violin concerto.
http://youtube.com/watch/v/avKhKDef9Vo

I didn't watch the whole thing, but the beginning was slow, like I said. I don't consider that shredding, I guess.

greg

Quote from: MN Brahms on April 28, 2008, 01:21:04 PM
I didn't watch the whole thing, but the beginning was slow, like I said. I don't consider that shredding, I guess.
3:10 to about 4:10 is actually more what I'm talking about. Shredding, yet it's emotional and interesting.

greg

I did a calculation of the 1st prize winnings from yen into dollars- (the guy who won last year's Takemitsu competition, Sho Ueda, must be a rich guy from being in the finals a lot)

12,000 yen = ~ $11,000!  :o

and the lowest cash prize last year was ~ $3,325!

I really would like to hear that guy, Sho Ueda's music- here's a description by Nishimura:

Quote*Sho Ueda "Never Stand Behind Me"
Mr. Ueda has been a finalist for the "Toru Takemitsu Composition Award" twice before, in 2000 and 2004. So this is his third time. I listened to those previous compositions in the past competitions, and this time I thought his musical content and language were even more intense, and his contrasts varied. I was surprised with his bold orchestration, and sometimes I thought he was aiming for too much effect. But neither does it have an empty quality and it is very persuasive in portraying a vivid description of the composer's inner drama. I could feel a plaintive pathos within the harshness, and perhaps this might be the reflection of the composer's life. I wonder how Mr. Takemitsu would consider this kind of monster-like piece, which sometimes has ferocious sounds, and is unconventional and extreme in style. However, to tell you the truth, my compositions also have this tendency sometimes, and Mr. Takemitsu once said to me: "Nishimura, you need to get rid of more notes. It's too noisy." I replied "I cannot get rid of any more notes. This is the minimum I need." Mr. Takemitsu laughed and said "Well, what can you do?" and forgave me. So, maybe Mr. Takemitsu would have rather enjoyed Mr. Ueda's piece, and respected his talent.

As part of a new generation of composers, Mr. Ueda challenged himself to expand the orchestra's palette of sound. This is a significant matter. However, this kind of problematic piece will have pros and cons, and some people might hate it or some might really like it. So my mind is split as well. Since there are second place and third place already, I thought of asking the audience to raise their hands whether this piece should win the first place or fourth place. But that doesn't make much sense either ...so I will make the decision. I know somebody might make an objection. So if you don't like the result, you can throw tomato at me...I would like to announce that Mr. Ueda wins the first place this time.

karlhenning

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on May 02, 2008, 08:07:20 AM
12,000 yen = ~ $11,000!  :o

Hey! That'll pay for a month of college!  8)

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on May 02, 2008, 08:22:16 AM
Hey! That'll pay for a month of college!  8)
lol!  ;D
that's why i'm not going to school for music or anything else (most likely)- with that money, you could pay for going to school i'm going to for 9 years!

greg

Guys, you all just HAVE to visit my new (redesigned) myspace profile......

it's excessively awesome.

myspace.com/IbanezMonster

Transfigured Night to a dark foresty background..... fits so perfectly. The only thing is that sometimes the music just stops before it's supposed to.  :P