Great recordings suggestions for Schubert Piano Trios

Started by Bhava, June 10, 2022, 07:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhava

Dear friends:

Do you have suggestions for great recordings - Schubert Piano Trios?

I am very interested in this Chamber work.. I thank you for the kind help.

Best wishes,
Bhava

amw

For both trios:

Historically informed performances
The Mozartean Players—Harmonia Mundi. A good library pick for someone who's not yet dived into the broadest possible range of interpretations.
La Gaia Scienza—Winter & Winter. On the more urgent, driving end of things, tempo wise, with more "historic" instruments.
Hansheinz Schneeberger, Thomas Demenga & Jörg Ewald Dähler—D898 on Claves, D929 on ECM New Series, for some reason. My personal favourites; slow and deeply felt.

Modern instruments performances
Trio Dali—Fuga Libera. Again, a good starting point and library pick.
Florestan Trio—Hyperion. Faster, more urgent, provides the shortest introduction to the unabridged version of D929.
Trio Les Esprits—Sony Classical. One of the most satisfying sets purely from the standpoint of ensemble interaction.

Honourable mentions
Trio Rafale—Coviello. Perhaps too slow to be a standard recommendation, but there's something very special about it, particularly D929.

Special mentions for D929 only:

Antje Weithaas, Marie-Elisabeth Hecker, Martin Helmchen—Alpha. This trio tends to attract great isolated performances more so than D898, due to its unusual cyclic construction. This is one of the greatest.
Adolf Busch, Herman Busch, Rudolf Serkin—Warner Classics (reissued many other places). Ok, yes, it's a mono recording from the 1930s(?). Quite probably the performance that put the trio on classical musicians' map in the first place.

Mandryka

Quote from: Bhava on June 10, 2022, 07:31:19 PM
Dear friends:

Do you have suggestions for great recordings - Schubert Piano Trios?

I am very interested in this Chamber work.. I thank you for the kind help.

Best wishes,
Bhava

Hello, and welcome!

There was a D929 released just a few years ago which I thought was particularly committed and intensely performed - with Lars Vogt and Christian and Tanja Tetzlaff.

If you can handle music files and are interested in concert recordings, I have one with Kristian Bezuidenhout, Viktoria Mullova and Pieter Wispelwey which is very interesting, I can let you have it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Holden

The Schubert trios are part of my favourite chamber works and I have a number of copies.

The Beaux Arts Trio recorded them twice and are well worth getting for someone starting out with this music. I prefer the later version on DGG but the Philips with some sonic limitations is just as good.

The version by Cortot/Thibaud/Casals is awesome but only ifn you can stand the historical sound.

Another choice I really love is Istomin/Stern and Rose recorded in 1969

Finally for a recently modern version both then Capucon and Florestan Trios offer great performances. All of the choices I've listed are available for sampling on streaming media

Cheers

Holden

Bhava

Quote from: amw on June 10, 2022, 09:43:50 PM
For both trios:

Historically informed performances
The Mozartean Players—Harmonia Mundi. A good library pick for someone who's not yet dived into the broadest possible range of interpretations.
La Gaia Scienza—Winter & Winter. On the more urgent, driving end of things, tempo wise, with more "historic" instruments.
Hansheinz Schneeberger, Thomas Demenga & Jörg Ewald Dähler—D898 on Claves, D929 on ECM New Series, for some reason. My personal favourites; slow and deeply felt.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.. I already have the first recording with Steven Lubin and the Mozartean Players..

As I am generally very fond of slow, long and deeply felt versions, I listened to your third choice - Recording by..

Hansheinz Schneeberger, Thomas Demenga & Jörg Ewald Dähler..

This recording is so beautiful and my top favorite - I like it so much, and I feel I may listen to it very often next week.

I love historically informed performances (HIP) and slow / long HIP recordings are very special. Thank you so much!!  :) :)

Bhava

Quote from: Holden on June 10, 2022, 11:57:17 PM
The Schubert trios are part of my favourite chamber works and I have a number of copies.

The version by Cortot/Thibaud/Casals is awesome but only ifn you can stand the historical sound.

Another choice I really love is Istomin/Stern and Rose recorded in 1969

1) Cortot/Thibaud/Casals recording is 1926 - sorry, I like stereo recordings only!

2) Istomin/Stern and Rose recording /1969 / Schubert piano trios - Not aware of this recording, I shall get it.

Thank you for the kind sugegstions!

Brian

I also seek out the original D. 929 with the super-long finale so Weithaas, Hecker, Helmchen is a favorite for me too.

I also have the Beaux Arts and love them, and the Trio Dali but don't remember them too much. Here is an excuse to listen again!

DavidW

The Florestan Trio is my favorite.  Not everyone will be a fan of their lean, swift sound but I really think it pays off in these works.  Slow, indulgant playing can absolutely kill these piano trios.

Bhava

Dear friends:

Today I heard a recording of Schubert Piano Trios by Klavier Trio - Amsterdam:

(Pianist Klara Wurtz, violinist Joan Berkhemer and cellist Nadia David - Brilliant Label)

This is also a great recording - I recommend it to friends here, thanks!

Best wishes, Bhava

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bhava on June 11, 2022, 07:20:04 AM
Dear friends:

Today I heard a recording of Schubert Piano Trios by Klavier Trio - Amsterdam:

(Pianist Klara Wurtz, violinist Joan Berkhemer and cellist Nadia David - Brilliant Label)

This is also a great recording - I recommend it to friends here, thanks!

Best wishes, Bhava

Hi Bhava - coming in late to your thread - I have 3 versions of these works, the first two below on period instruments and the other on a modern piano - not sure if you've already made your purchase(s) of these trios, but some other considerations.  Dave :)

P.S. my earlier released Golub-Kaplan-Carr Trio 2-disc set has different cover art.

Holden

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 11, 2022, 10:17:57 AM
Hi Bhava - coming in late to your thread - I have 3 versions of these works, the first two below on period instruments and the other on a modern piano - not sure if you've already made your purchase(s) of these trios, but some other considerations.  Dave :)

P.S. my earlier released Golub-Kaplan-Carr Trio 2-disc set has different cover art.

Yes, high recommendation for the Golub/Caplan/Carr from me as well
Cheers

Holden

Bhava

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 11, 2022, 10:17:57 AM

Thanks a lot - I have not heard these 3 recordings.. As I am so mad about Schubert piano trios, I may get these next week - Thanks a lot!