Webern - Symphony
Dutilleux - Symphony No. 1
Takemitsu - The Dorian Horizon
Ligeti - Double Concerto for Flute and Oboe
Saariaho - L'amour de loin
Chin - Violin Concerto (No.1)

Uhor

LKB

I went with the Debussy ( which may shock a few folks here  ;D), as the option possessed of the greatest proportional beauty ( imho ).  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on June 15, 2022, 06:28:38 AM
I went with the Debussy ( which may shock a few folks here  ;D), as the option possessed of the greatest proportional beauty ( imho ).  ;)

There is a case to be made.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Dutilleux gets my vote as you didn't include Klaus Egge's First Symphony as an option.  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lisztianwagner

I'll vote for Mahler, Ravel, Debussy and Mozart.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

kyjo

Of those works, definitely the Ravel and Dutilleux resonate with me the strongest. Two magisterial displays of French orchestral wizardry!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Dutilleux's Symphony No. 1, Webern Symphony and Chin's Violin Concerto No. 1 are not precisely works I could call "beautiful". The aesthetics of these works tells me other things.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky