Favorite Conductors in Recordings from Non-Major/Budget Labels

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, June 18, 2022, 01:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

You are welcome to include conductors who recorded for major labels as well as minor labels. Photos are very welcome.

My list:

David Lloyd-Jones
Jean-Luc Tingaud
Enrique Batiz
Kuchar
Wit

Brian

Nice to see a shout out for Enrique Bátiz.

I haven't heard any of his recordings in a long time, but this morning saw high praise for a recording of Mahler 4 by Anton Nanut, who used to appear on ultra-ultra-ultra bargain labels like Pilz and Laserlight.

Holden

Cheers

Holden

Todd

Maurice Abravanel, Stanisław Skrowaczewski, and Leonard Slatkin for Vox come to mind. 

Naxos can no longer really be considered either budget or non-major.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Todd on June 18, 2022, 03:49:25 PM
Maurice Abravanel, Stanisław Skrowaczewski, and Leonard Slatkin for Vox come to mind. 

Good names! I was thinking about Slatkin too. As for Stanisław Skrowaczewski, are you suggesting the Bartok and/or Ravel recordings?
You sound right about Naxos.

Jo498

Skrowaczewski and Zinman on Arte Nova/Oehms although of course they had recorded for major/non-budget labels BEFORE these budget recordings. Also Robert Craft on Naxos; these recordings weren't even produced by Naxos. The same holds for a lot of Brilliant discs/boxes.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Irons

A real coup for such a small label as Unicorn to hire Jascha Horenstein.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Todd

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 18, 2022, 08:04:08 PMAs for Stanisław Skrowaczewski, are you suggesting the Bartok and/or Ravel recordings?

Those, plus the Mozart he recorded with Walter Klien.  He recorded more for the label.  I suspect it is all good.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

MusicTurner

Agree concerning most of those already mentioned, and will exclude for example Chandos, BIS, Melodiya and Supraphon labels ...

D'Avalos for ASV;

Pommer and Roegner for Eterna-Berlin Classics;

Yinon for CPO and Koch;

and those controversial, uneven eccentrics, Scherchen and Rodzinski (primarily Westminster).

Roasted Swan

Roasted Swan

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on June 19, 2022, 12:28:28 AM
A real coup for such a small label as Unicorn to hire Jascha Horenstein.

Nice! I like his Walton recording.

André

Spotted Horses

A agree that Naxos is no longer non-Major or Budget, but Antonin Wit recorded for them when they were.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DizzyD

Quote from: Holden on June 18, 2022, 03:29:19 PM
Rene Leibowitz - for Readers Digest/Chesky
Yeah, the Leibowitz transcription of the Bach Passacaglia and Fugue in that old Reader's Digest box set was the first classical music to catch my ear as a kid, along with Liszt's Totentanz which I heard on our local classical station.

Brian

You know who else conducted for Naxos in its early days?

1987 session!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brian on June 20, 2022, 12:31:02 PM
You know who else conducted for Naxos in its early days?

1987 session!

Very interesting! I will check it out!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Todd on June 18, 2022, 03:49:25 PM

I checked the Ravel works by SS. They sound vg like his Bartok set.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 20, 2022, 01:12:54 PM
I checked the Ravel works by SS. They sound vg like his Bartok set.

Those 3 Ravel discs are really excellent - and in very good analogue sound as well.  Minnesota were a good band then as well.  His Stravinsky is also very fine - but not easy to find these days at a reasonable price.