Your Top 50 Favorite Classical Recordings Of All-Time

Started by Mirror Image, June 18, 2022, 08:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

The Schoenfield disc on Argo is superb. Ditto the Alfven by Svetlanov (he also recorded Alfven's 2nd symphony, a terrific performance IMO).

I should have added the Canteloube disc of Netania Davrath, but I'm already over limit  :laugh:

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Madiel on July 06, 2022, 03:44:20 AM
It's very funny seeing this one pop up now, when I've just decided I want to listen to it.

And what did you think? I bought this primarily for the Dumky trio but have fallen in love with the concerto performance. I almost added Queyras' disc of Haydn cello concertos to my list, another great one.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: André on July 05, 2022, 07:39:41 AM
Shostakovich, symphony no 5. Bernstein, NYP (1979)

Nice list, Andre. I think John added the above disc to his list too, which is one I regret not listing, one of the first DSCH recordings I owned and still an absolute favorite.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: classicalgeek on June 29, 2022, 01:48:34 PM
They don't necessarily match up with my favorite composers, but I came up with 30 to start:

Quote from: classicalgeek on July 06, 2022, 10:32:45 AM

Great lists, James. The Mahler is an all-timer for me, and when I made my list I had a two in mind from Poulenc, although neither made the final cut, but this one on Naxos was one of them! Great choice  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 06, 2022, 07:38:36 PM
Nice list, Andre. I think John added the above disc to his list too, which is one I regret not listing, one of the first DSCH recordings I owned and still an absolute favorite.

Yep, it's on my list and I'm floored each time I listen to it. Astounding performance!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 06, 2022, 07:51:32 PM
Yep, it's on my list and I'm floored each time I listen to it. Astounding performance!

Hey, John.
For sure! The Largo from this performance is gut-wrenching.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 06, 2022, 07:53:42 PM
Hey, John.
For sure! The Largo from this performance is gut-wrenching.

Indeed! The best performance I've ever heard. The way the timpani comes thundering in during that first climatic moment is something else and I've never heard this part played like this on any other recording.

Madiel

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 06, 2022, 07:36:06 PM
And what did you think? I bought this primarily for the Dumky trio but have fallen in love with the concerto performance. I almost added Queyras' disc of Haydn cello concertos to my list, another great one.

I haven't listened yet. MAYBE tonight or it might be some time. I went looking for information about good performances of the concerto and Queyras' name came up more consistently than any other similarly modern recording.

I also know I like Queyras (my own list includes his Bach cello suites).

Heck, Queyras and Faust and Melnikov all seem to be top-notch so I'm half inclined to spend some time exploring all the things they've done together.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on July 06, 2022, 10:32:45 AM
TD: Here are my remaining 20 recordings. Some tough decisions in the cutdown process!

Great stuff, James!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

I am more of works than recordings, so it was tough to compile a list.

Anyway, the first 20:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!