Mathematics

Started by Florestan, June 21, 2022, 11:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: krummholz on June 22, 2022, 10:33:02 PM
Actually, it was Michigan. Things may be different now though, that was mid-1970s. And you're right: we didn't see Hamilton at all in that course. However, where I teach now, our upper division classical mechanics course does at least show the students Hamilton's equations.

That is good to hear.  Since my experience is based upon when I went to college it is dated.  As a big example, what I did in college were all pencil and paper calculations.  My former students that went into Physics became so well versed in computational methods that they ended up in careers in data science instead of physics!

Biffo

Quote from: DavidW on June 23, 2022, 06:29:32 AM
That is good to hear.  Since my experience is based upon when I went to college it is dated.  As a big example, what I did in college were all pencil and paper calculations.  My former students that went into Physics became so well versed in computational methods that they ended up in careers in data science instead of physics!

I am beginning to feel a bit less decrepit - but not much. Here in the UK they were starting to introduce 'Modern Maths' and I was in the last year at my school that did the old syllabus. Modern Maths seem to date from the 18th century or later, the stuff I did from the 5th century BCE. Actually we did a lot of calculus (late 17th century). Pocket caculators were still in the future and we used log tables.

krummholz

Similar experience here: I didn't learn much about computational methods in class and had to teach myself how to code when doing my dissertation. In our courses, we learned analytical methods exclusively... and despite the importance of computers today in research, even today, where I work now, the same is true in the core courses, including classical, quantum, and E&M. Junior/senior lab is a different story, and colleagues who've taught it have taken the opportunity to introduce the students to Python and to computational techniques (I've yet to be assigned to teach that course though).

Mapman

At my college, they introduced Lagrangian mechanics to some freshmen, but only ones who had taken AP Physics. I didn't, so I don't know the full contents of that course. The advanced classical mechanics course covered most of the book by Taylor, which includes a brief introduction to Hamiltonian mechanics; however I didn't understand the connection to Quantum until graduate Classical Mechanics.

We had two undergraduate courses in Quantum mechanics, the first mostly wave mechanics and the second heavily using linear algebra. I much preferred the second semester. (Instead of Griffiths, we used the two books by Townsend. The second semester used Quantum Mechanics.)

I, like you, also took the Putnam exam (twice), and was able to solve one problem each time. (Although, to be fair, one of the years had a particularly "easy" first problem.)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mapman on June 23, 2022, 06:27:30 PM
At my college, they introduced Lagrangian mechanics to some freshmen, but only ones who had taken AP Physics. I didn't, so I don't know the full contents of that course. The advanced classical mechanics course covered most of the book by Taylor, which includes a brief introduction to Hamiltonian mechanics; however I didn't understand the connection to Quantum until graduate Classical Mechanics.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about; however, it reminds me of possibly the most off-putting intro to a textbook ever written. This is from States of Matter by David L. Goodstein:

"Ludwig Boltzmann, who spent much of his life studying Statistical Mechanics, died in 1906, by his own hand. Paul Ehrenfest, carrying on the work, died similarly in 1933. Now it is our turn to study Statistical Mechanics."
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Biffo

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on June 23, 2022, 08:07:36 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about; however, it reminds me of possibly the most off-putting intro to a textbook ever written. This is from States of Matter by David L. Goodstein:

"Ludwig Boltzmann, who spent much of his life studying Statistical Mechanics, died in 1906, by his own hand. Paul Ehrenfest, carrying on the work, died similarly in 1933. Now it is our turn to study Statistical Mechanics."

Strange (?) coincidence, the lecturer who taught us Statistical Mechanics also committed suicide.

DavidW

Quote from: Mapman on June 23, 2022, 06:27:30 PM
I, like you, also took the Putnam exam (twice), and was able to solve one problem each time. (Although, to be fair, one of the years had a particularly "easy" first problem.)

Nice!

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Florestan

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on June 23, 2022, 08:07:36 PM

Quote from: Biffo on June 24, 2022, 01:51:19 AM
Strange (?) coincidence, the lecturer who taught us Statistical Mechanics also committed suicide.

As a Romanian poet put it:

Do not inquire into these laws,
For you go crazy if you understand them.

Original, rhyming:

Nu cerceta aceste legi,
Că eşti nebun când le-nţelegi!

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

steve ridgway

Quote from: DavidW on June 22, 2022, 11:37:02 AM
Certainly you've mastered turning it off and then on again! :D

The usual answer to that was "I can't find the power button with all the lights in here having gone off"! :'(

Szykneij

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 27, 2022, 06:47:57 AM
The usual answer to that was "I can't find the power button with all the lights in here having gone off"! :'(

;D  ;D  ;D
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

steve ridgway

Or "Well it all worked last Friday when we were in the old warehouse". ::)

Florestan

Thank you all for your replies. I'm not surprised that most of you/us are at least mathematically literate.

Btw, in the last two evenings I tried hard to remember how to prove Pythagora's Theorem. I managed it for an isosceles triangle but not for the general triangle. Any suggestions? Just a hint, please, not the whole thing, thank you.  :)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2022, 10:27:33 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I'm not surprised that most of you/us are at least mathematically literate.

Btw, in the last two evenings I tried hard to remember how to prove Pythagora's Theorem. I managed it for an isosceles triangle but not for the general triangle. Any suggestions? Just a hint, please, not the whole thing, thank you.  :)

Try square packing.  That is consider the squares that have edge length a, b and c respectively.  Consider the original triangle.  See what you can do.  You can even draw them, cut them out and then move the pieces around.

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on July 03, 2022, 10:55:58 AM
Try square packing.  That is consider the squares that have edge length a, b and c respectively.  Consider the original triangle.  See what you can do.  You can even draw them, cut them out and then move the pieces around.

Thanks a lot, will work it out tomorrow.

coffee

For the OP, I was a bit of a math star in high school, winning some local competitions, but I was never at a national level.

I still enjoy math a bit, but I've forgotten so much that I can barely do anything....

That Pythagoras, man. Someone should've told him he was an irrational number.
Liberty for the wolf is death for the lamb.

DavidW

Coffee, he said just a hint! :laugh:

coffee

Quote from: DavidW on July 04, 2022, 06:26:17 AM
Coffee, he said just a hint! :laugh:

My bad! I'll delete it!

Florestan

Quote from: coffee on July 04, 2022, 07:52:40 AM
My bad! I'll delete it!

Oh yes, please do!  ;)

Btw, hearty congrats for starting to contribute in various threads. I was right in telling you that you do have interesting things to say. Keep them coming, buddy!

coffee

Quote from: Florestan on July 04, 2022, 07:55:36 AM
Oh yes, please do!  ;)

Btw, hearty congrats for starting to contribute in various threads. I was right in telling you that you do have interesting things to say. Keep them coming, buddy!

My purpose is to persuade you to let me do my thing here. I haven't surrendered.