Started by vandermolen, August 31, 2007, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on January 31, 2022, 11:46:23 PM
You still are, just in better disguise!

Thanks, Paul. It's too bad that I feel more like an idiot on most days. ;D

vandermolen

This is one of my favourite Honegger discs:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Honegger's very fine Nicolas de Flüe doesn't seem to have attracted attention ? It's an excellent work.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on February 02, 2022, 05:45:12 PM
Honegger's very fine Nicolas de Flüe doesn't seem to have attracted attention ? It's an excellent work.

My problem with this work is there's just so much narration in it. It's almost as wordy as Les aventures du roi Pausole. But it does have some excellent singing and the music itself is quite good.

VonStupp

For as long as I can remember, I have been searching high and low for Honegger's Symphonies 1 & 5 with Rozhdestvensky and his USSR orchestra on CD (his performance of the 2nd is always readily available used), and finally nabbed one at a decent price (most have been obscenely indecent). I am beyond excited!

I also see Melodiya now has all of Rozhdestvensky's orchestral Honegger digitally available now (Sym 1, 2 & 5 + others, but minus the cello concerto).
https://melody.su/en/catalog/classic/61304/

I know Baudo is very well liked, but any thoughts on the incomplete Rozhdestvensky?

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

foxandpeng

I'm often a bit unsure whether I like Honegger or not. I've been listening to the symphonies via this set over the last couple of days, and to be honest, the jury is still out. Good experience with #2 yesterday, but the same thing left me pretty ambivalent this morning. Some days good, some days meh.

I'm quite familiar with all the symphonies, but still not sure what I am missing 😕
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Roasted Swan

Quote from: foxandpeng on November 08, 2022, 02:17:05 AM
I'm often a bit unsure whether I like Honegger or not. I've been listening to the symphonies via this set over the last couple of days, and to be honest, the jury is still out. Good experience with #2 yesterday, but the same thing left me pretty ambivalent this morning. Some days good, some days meh.

I'm quite familiar with all the symphonies, but still not sure what I am missing 😕

I must admit to having exactly the same response.  Years ago at college we played the Symphony No.2 and I loved doing that - bloomin' hard though!  Then No.3 - especially the Karajan version - is just extraordinary, but so much else just leaves me fairly engaged but also relatively indifferent.  Sometimes I like it but rarely do I love it.  Not a composer who would make it to my Desert Island but someone I keep trying to like more.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Another couple of rounds with this Plasson set before I move on, I think. Hoping it will eventually click 🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on November 08, 2022, 01:48:50 PM
Another couple of rounds with this Plasson set before I move on, I think. Hoping it will eventually click 🙂

I don't think that Honegger is anyone's 'favourite composer' in my experience, but I definitely have a soft spot for him and relate to much of his music, especially symphonies 2-5, 'L'Idee' animated film score, Jeanne d'Arc, Christmas Cantata and the lovely Pastorale d'ete.

aukhawk

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2022, 01:58:31 PM
I don't think that Honegger is anyone's 'favourite composer' in my experience, but I definitely have a soft spot for him and relate to much of his music, especially symphonies 2-5,  ...

Moi aussi

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2022, 01:58:31 PM
I don't think that Honegger is anyone's 'favourite composer' in my experience, but I definitely have a soft spot for him and relate to much of his music, especially symphonies 2-5, 'L'Idee' animated film score, Jeanne d'Arc, Christmas Cantata and the lovely Pastorale d'ete.

Re you daring me to proclaim Honegger my favorite composer?  :laugh:
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 09, 2022, 09:37:48 AM
Re you daring me to proclaim Honegger my favorite composer?  :laugh:
Haha - I'm pleased to hear that. To be honest Honegger is one of my favourite composers (I started this thread 15 years ago  :o)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on November 10, 2022, 08:47:53 AM
Haha - I'm pleased to hear that. To be honest Honegger is one of my favourite composers (I started this thread 15 years ago  :o)

He's my favorite composers when I'm listening to him. Maybe a dozen have that distinction. Brahms is my favorite composer when I'm not listening to music, or when I'm listening to Brahms. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 10, 2022, 08:54:38 AM
He's my favorite composers when I'm listening to him. Maybe a dozen have that distinction. Brahms is my favorite composer when I'm not listening to music, or when I'm listening to Brahms. :)
Interesting!

VonStupp

Quote from: vandermolen on November 21, 2022, 11:20:43 PMIs the Melodiya Honegger set available on CD?

It appears to be only offered digitally by the looks of the Melodiya website. I mostly buy physical media too, but punted for this one digitally.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vandermolen

Quote from: VonStupp on November 25, 2022, 05:34:12 AMIt appears to be only offered digitally by the looks of the Melodiya website. I mostly buy physical media too, but punted for this one digitally.

VS
Thank you  :)

Leo K.

Listening for the first time to Herbert Von Karajan and his DGG recording of Honegger's 2nd Symphony and being truly moved throughout the whole work. I have never heard Honegger before. I am excited to continue with more symphonic works by him!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Leo K. on November 14, 2023, 01:20:57 PMListening for the first time to Herbert Von Karajan and his DGG recording of Honegger's 2nd Symphony and being truly moved throughout the whole work. I have never heard Honegger before. I am excited to continue with more symphonic works by him!

If you were moved by his 2nd, the 3rd would probably provoke an even more impactful reaction on you. One of the greatest symphonies of the 20th century hands down.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Leo K. on November 14, 2023, 01:20:57 PMListening for the first time to Herbert Von Karajan and his DGG recording of Honegger's 2nd Symphony and being truly moved throughout the whole work. I have never heard Honegger before. I am excited to continue with more symphonic works by him!
I agree, Honegger's Symphony No.2 is a hauntingly beautiful work, rich of timbric tension and restless sonorities; Karajan was able to show a perfect understanding of the composition, his recording is incredibly powerful and captivating. You'll certainly like his recording of Honegger 3rd too, it's even more poignant and impressive.
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg