Arthur Honegger (1892-1955)

Started by vandermolen, August 31, 2007, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I just received the Jarvi disc (with the Danish National Radio Symphony) and it's superb! I will be revisiting this recording a lot. I rank it up there with Zinman's and Karajan's recordings.

Toucan is crazy for calling Honegger a minor composer. He is far from it. I think he's fantastic and so do plenty of other people.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 20, 2010, 02:24:41 PM
I just received the Jarvi disc (with the Danish National Radio Symphony) and it's superb! I will be revisiting this recording a lot. I rank it up there with Zinman's and Karajan's recordings.

Toucan is crazy for calling Honegger a minor composer. He is far from it. I think he's fantastic and so do plenty of other people.
I am one, though perhaps I would choose major composer (at least in the top 20- 30 list of the 20th century which in my opinion signifies major) rather than fantastic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: erato on October 21, 2010, 01:24:47 AM
I am one, though perhaps I would choose major composer (at least in the top 20- 30 list of the 20th century which in my opinion signifies major) rather than fantastic.

I like Honegger's idiom. I like the way he wrote his music. It isn't my fault that he's not as well-known as say Stravinsky or Prokofiev, but this doesn't make him any less significant than those two. He composed music in a very distinctive style, which I find refreshing.

Actually, I have several classical books (Rough Guide To Classical Music, Gramophone 2009 edition, NPR Listener's Encylopedia of Classical Music, Edward Downes' Guide To Symphonic Music, among others) and all of them acknowledge Honegger as a major 20th Century composer.

One listen to his music, you hear an individual with something unique to say. You may not like his music, but to dismiss him as a minor composer would be misinformed and uneducated. I don't like Bach, Beethoven, or Mozart, but I acknowledge them as historically significant composers and I'd be crazy not to.

vandermolen

Pleased to see my Honegger thread revived, but sorry to see the acrimonious exchanges - feel that life's too short for that.

The work I have been listening to recently has been Honegger's valedictory 'Christmas Cantata' - I had not realised what a wonderful work it was - the ending is very moving.  I think that it was Honegger's last work - which makes it all the more affecting.

I agree that Jarvi's Chandos CD with symphonies 3 and 5 on (my favourites) is terrific.

I also like the film music for the animated movie 'L'Idee', which is also a magical score. It features on the Naxos CD below, which is a very nice CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 22, 2010, 08:24:13 AMI agree that Jarvi's Chandos CD with symphonies 3 and 5 (my favourites) is terrific.

I have probably already listened to this recording at least 5 times. Jarvi excels in this music. Too bad he didn't recording more Honegger. I would like have heard a full symphony cycle with all of the other orchestral works with the same orchestra (Danish National Radio Symphony). I know, I know, but here's to wishful thinking. :D

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 27, 2010, 06:48:01 PM

I have probably already listened to this recording at least 5 times. Jarvi excels in this music. Too bad he didn't recording more Honegger. I would like have heard a full symphony cycle with all of the other orchestral works with the same orchestra (Danish National Radio Symphony). I know, I know, but here's to wishful thinking. :D

Me too! I just happen to be listening to his Chandod CD of Langgaard's symphonies 4-6, which is my favourite Langgaard CD (although I like the premiere recording of the original Symphony No 5 on dacapo). Back to Honeggere I really like Markevitch's old DGG CD of Symphony No 5 - a really gripping performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on October 29, 2010, 01:53:47 AM
Back to Honeggere I really like Markevitch's old DGG CD of Symphony No 5 - a really gripping performance.

I should revisit that.  I remember being unimpressed with the sound quality.

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on October 29, 2010, 01:53:47 AM
Me too! I just happen to be listening to his Chandod CD of Langgaard's symphonies 4-6, which is my favourite Langgaard CD (although I like the premiere recording of the original Symphony No 5 on dacapo). Back to Honeggere I really like Markevitch's old DGG CD of Symphony No 5 - a really gripping performance.

That opening Markevitch fanfare IS the sound of a post-war, shellshocked Frenchman surveying the ruins around him,... and proclaiming! ahhh...

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on October 29, 2010, 07:20:08 AM
I should revisit that.  I remember being unimpressed with the sound quality.

The sound quality is not very good but I am a sucker for these old historical performances - something about the atmosphere and it was a performance, I think, of great integrity.

Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on October 29, 2010, 12:19:53 PM
The sound quality is not very good but I am a sucker for these old historical performances - something about the atmosphere and it was a performance, I think, of great integrity.

I do like the sound of the old French orchestras and cherish many of those recordings from the 50s, (Paris Conservatory Orchestra, etc) but the sound on this one (if I recall correctly) went past my threshold.  I need to give it another listen.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on October 29, 2010, 01:07:57 PM
I do like the sound of the old French orchestras and cherish many of those recordings from the 50s, (Paris Conservatory Orchestra, etc) but the sound on this one (if I recall correctly) went past my threshold.  I need to give it another listen.

Me too  :)

vandermolen

Listening to the Markevitch no 5 now (DGG Originals) - the recording is a bit boxed-in but it is the real thing I think (and I'm listening on low-fi equipment). Alexander Morin's guide says 'Markevitch's recording of 5 is disciplined and splendidly gloomy [I agree]; the recording is excellent mono [a matter of opinion perhaps - although I don't find the recording a problem in enjoying the music].

Scarpia

Just listened to Honegger's Concertino for piano and orchestra (Thibaudet/Dutoit).  A really delightful, inventive piece, and it is nice to hear Honegger composing music which is bright and witty, rather than reflecting the doom and war and horror.  The recording is not bad, but I get the feeling that the piece would have benefited from a bit more rhythmic vitality (the Ravel Concerto for left hand, included on the same release, suffers even more from this issue, IMO).

Guido

Quote from: snyprrr on October 16, 2010, 07:21:18 PM
Symphony No.4, and my favorite of all, the slow mvmt. from the late Concerto de Camera. That ranks up there with Finzi and Pettersson for me, in the beautiful epiphany.

Very intrigued by this comment - could you elaborate?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Scarpia

Listened to two unfamiliar works today, the pastorale d'ete, and prelude, aria and fugue on BACH.  The first didn't impress (an impressionistic version of Honegger) the second impressed mightily.  There you have Honegger seeming to channel the spirit of Bach (especially the first movement).  Lopes-Cobos and Lausanne do a fine job.  Also listened to the second symphony from the same ensemble, not the best recording of this work, but a nicely done middle movement.

[asin]B00005A9NU[/asin]

What the birth of Venus has to do with any of the music on this CD is a mystery to me. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 19, 2011, 08:49:48 PM
Listened to two unfamiliar works today, the pastorale d'ete, and prelude, aria and fugue on BACH.  The first didn't impress (an impressionistic version of Honegger) the second impressed mightily.  There you have Honegger seeming to channel the spirit of Bach (especially the first movement.  Lopes-Cobos and Lausanne.  Also listened to the second symphony from the same ensemble, somewhat less impressive, but a nicely done middle movement.

These are both very minor works. Honegger's reputation rest almost entirely on his symphonies and the two short orchestral works Pacific 231 and Rugby. I find his works with vocals/chorus like Jeanne d'Arc au bûcher to be almost non-representative of what Honegger was about musically.

Scarpia

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on January 23, 2011, 08:30:28 AM
Just listened to Honegger's Concertino for piano and orchestra (Thibaudet/Dutoit).  A really delightful, inventive piece, and it is nice to hear Honegger composing music which is bright and witty, rather than reflecting the doom and war and horror.  The recording is not bad, but I get the feeling that the piece would have benefited from a bit more rhythmic vitality (the Ravel Concerto for left hand, included on the same release, suffers even more from this issue, IMO).

Seeing my older post I realized that I was planning to put some mention on this thread of my experience with some other concertante works of Honegger that are not well known (but perhaps should be).   There is a nice collection of music with cello from BIS.

[asin]B000WH5B00[/asin]

The two most interesting works here (from my point of view) are the cello concerto, and sonata for violin and cello.  The first finds Honegger in an uncharacteristical good mood (similar to the piano concerto).  Most of the piece is very melodic, with flashes of humor, and snatches of melody and harmony that seem to be jazz inspired.   The violin-cello sonata is a more intense work.  There are passages with broadly appealing melodies (which strike me as sounding more like Bartok than Honegger) and other passages with vigorous counterpoint and thorny harmonies.  A real delight.  The disc is rounded out by two sonatas for cello and piano (one a transcription of a clarinet piece) which are well done but more conventional.

snyprrr

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 19, 2011, 09:08:13 PM

Seeing my older post I realized that I was planning to put some mention on this thread of my experience with some other concertante works of Honegger that are not well known (but perhaps should be).   There is a nice collection of music with cello from BIS.

[asin]B000WH5B00[/asin]

That CC is very laid back with a summery jazz feeling. I've got Webber.

The two most interesting works here (from my point of view) are the cello concerto, and sonata for violin and cello.  The first finds Honegger in an uncharacteristical good mood (similar to the piano concerto).  Most of the piece is very melodic, with flashes of humor, and snatches of melody and harmony that seem to be jazz inspired.   The violin-cello sonata is a more intense work.  There are passages with broadly appealing melodies (which strike me as sounding more like Bartok than Honegger) and other passages with vigorous counterpoint and thorny harmonies.  A real delight.  The disc is rounded out by two sonatas for cello and piano (one a transcription of a clarinet piece) which are well done but more conventional.

snyprrr

Yo, busted out da Honegger,... Monopartita, his last piece. It has the same plagent lyricism as Symphony No.5. Late Honegger makes me so nostalgic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on June 21, 2011, 07:31:44 PM
Yo, busted out da Honegger,... Monopartita, his last piece. It has the same plagent lyricism as Symphony No.5. Late Honegger makes me so nostalgic.

Yes, Monopartita is a nice work. It's shame it isn't performed very much. It would offer a nice contrast in a concert program.