Arthur Honegger (1892-1955)

Started by vandermolen, August 31, 2007, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on July 20, 2013, 12:31:37 AM
in fact the whole CD is good with three nice photos of the composer included in the booklet - worth looking out for:

My copy arrived this morning. I especially like this photo; magnificent motor (as a Donleavy character might say). Left click to enlarge:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 23, 2013, 03:03:45 AM
My copy arrived this morning. I especially like this photo; magnificent motor (as a Donleavy character might say). Left click to enlarge:

Sarge

Yes, it's a super photo (as are the others). The one you show reminded me of a charming British movie 'Genevieve' (1953) about two friends and their partners in a vintage car race from Brighton to London. My daughter had never seen the movie before and loved it when we watched it a few days ago.

Hope you enjoy the CD as much as I did.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 23, 2013, 03:03:45 AM

Sarge

Great photo, Sarge!

snyprrr

Honegger seems to represent very well this 'Modern' Composer, the one who is most photographed in cars, wearing sweaters, 'Professor' hair blowing in the wind, being physical ('Rugby'),...

It seems he would make a good template for a Composer Movie,... I could see one made in the early '60s...

He has a 'dashing' quality...

There are also pictures of Pijper near a car, I don't know why I find these things so quaint? I guess, one can look at these guys around 1939 and KNOW what they are going to go through in the next few years,... the 'change' that comes upon them all.

Sergeant Rock

Snyprrr...I'm impressed. That was possibly your most sane post ever  ;)  And moving too...seriously moving.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2013, 08:30:58 PM
Does anyone here own the Fabio Luisi cycle on Cascavelle label? This is an absolutely first-rate set and blows Dutoit out of the water, which was easy to do anyway since I don't think Dutoit's style of conducting suits Honegger's more rigid, angular style. The Luisi set is incredibly difficult to track down and when you do you'll most certainly pay for it.

Guess what John - I found my copy of the Luisi/Suisse Romande Honegger symphony cycle (whilst looking for something else of course  :)) I have been playing the CD containing symphonies 4 and 5 on.  I agree with you that these are outstanding performances and excellent recordings. Symphony No 4 is currently my favourite of the cycle (although I think that the greatest is No 3 'Liturgique' - which I feel is in the same spirit of the contemporaneous Symphony No 6 by Vaughan Williams - although there is no consolation at the end of the VW as there is with the Honegger).

I felt that Luisi's performance of Symphony No 4 ('Delights of Basle') had greater rhythmic urgency than in many other recordings (although I have a particular liking for Ansermet's recording on Decca). The great Symphony No 5 is given a performance of granitic strength, tempered with some beautifully realised quieter sections. It is definitely now my favourite recording of this underrated work, better even than Markevitch's fine old DGG recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 26, 2013, 01:13:30 AM
Guess what John - I found my copy of the Luisi/Suisse Romande Honegger symphony cycle (whilst looking for something else of course  :)) I have been playing the CD containing symphonies 4 and 5 on.  I agree with you that these are outstanding performances and excellent recordings. Symphony No 4 is currently my favourite of the cycle (although I think that the greatest is No 3 'Liturgique' - which I feel is in the same spirit of the contemporaneous Symphony No 6 by Vaughan Williams - although there is no consolation at the end of the VW as there is with the Honegger).

I felt that Luisi's performance of Symphony No 4 ('Delights of Basle') had greater rhythmic urgency than in many other recordings (although I have a particular liking for Ansermet's recording on Decca). The great Symphony No 5 is given a performance of granitic strength, tempered with some beautifully realised quieter sections. It is definitely now my favourite recording of this underrated work, better even than Markevitch's fine old DGG recording.

Woo hoo! Great performances for sure, Jeffrey. I've read several reviews that claim that Luisi's choice of tempi was on the sluggish side but I disagree. These performances have a lot of weight to them and I think Luisi really gave Honegger's symphonies full justice. Next to Baudo, this cycle comes right to the top of the heap without a doubt in my mind. Dutoit and Plasson are so unsympathetic and completely out of their element with this music that I couldn't ever give them high marks or even consider listening to those two cycles again (probably will end up selling them or donating them to my local library). Baudo and Luisi are definitely keepers and I don't see any other conductor really giving these the kind of attention and full throttled drive this music needs. There have been, however, so many great individual performances as you know, but we won't launch into those as we both know what performances those are. :)

Mirror Image

Think of Luisi's performances as the 'Celibidache' of Honegger symphony cycles. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 26, 2013, 07:48:59 PM
Think of Luisi's performances as the 'Celibidache' of Honegger symphony cycles. :)

A good analogy John. Pastorale d'ete is also given a beautifully poetic and eloquent performance under Luisi.

Do you know Honegger's film music for the animated film 'L'Idee' - an extraordinary score of c 25 minutes with much use of the ondes martenot? I really like the music for L'Idee (a kind of animated parable) and the end section is especially touching. It's on the Naxos compilation of Honegger's film music.
[asin]B001F1YBW6[/asin]

Mirror Image

Oh yes, Jeffrey. I own that Naxos recording and gained much pleasure from it. Excellent music.

snyprrr

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 23, 2013, 06:45:40 AM
Snyprrr...I'm impressed. That was possibly your most sane post ever  ;)  And moving too...seriously moving.

Sarge

aw shucks sarge :-[ :-*

No one ever mentions Symphony No.1. It's not the most available thing ever. Munch on Montaigne seemed like the way to go, but,... anyone?

kyjo

While I'm in a Honegger frame of mind (a pretty darn good one to be in :D), what do members think of this recording, which consists of Honegger's "lighter" works?

It's received many favorable reviews.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on August 27, 2013, 05:11:22 PM
While I'm in a Honegger frame of mind (a pretty darn good one to be in :D), what do members think of this recording, which consists of Honegger's "lighter" works?

Certainly a nice recording, Kyle. Everything is well-played and it makes me wonder why Jurowski hasn't committed to a full symphony cycle. :-\ Worth owning IMHO.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 27, 2013, 05:14:40 PM
Certainly a nice recording, Kyle. Everything is well-played and it makes me wonder why Jurowski hasn't committed to a full symphony cycle. :-\ Worth owning IMHO.

Thanks, John. Yeah, I wish Jurowski would record more Honegger. Same with Jarvi. I'm really surprised he didn't venture beyond Symphonies 3 and 5, considering how adventurous of a conductor he is and how natural he is in this kind of repertoire. :-\

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on August 27, 2013, 05:17:39 PM
Thanks, John. Yeah, I wish Jurowski would record more Honegger. Same with Jarvi. I'm really surprised he didn't venture beyond Symphonies 3 and 5, considering how adventurous of a conductor he is. :-\

Yes! Jarvi's single Honegger recording on Chandos w/ the Danish National RSO is still a favorite of mine. Such smoldering performances.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 27, 2013, 05:11:22 PM

Very nice CD and compilation. I was fortunate enough to be able to speak to Jurowski when invited to attend a rehearsal for Miaskovsky's 6th Symphony. He was extremely welcoming and friendly.

bhodges

Yesterday the New York Philharmonic announced its 2014-2015 season, and the grand finale will be a staged version of Honegger's Joan of Arc at the Stake starring Marion Cotillard, with Alan Gilbert conducting.

More info here:

http://nyphil.org/ConcertsTickets/season/1415-season-highlights

--Bruce

vandermolen

Quote from: Brewski on January 23, 2014, 09:09:08 AM
Yesterday the New York Philharmonic announced its 2014-2015 season, and the grand finale will be a staged version of Honegger's Joan of Arc at the Stake starring Marion Cotillard, with Alan Gilbert conducting.

More info here:

--Bruce

Very exciting Bruce. It is his best oratorio I think and very moving at the end.

bhodges

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2014, 11:26:26 AM
Very exciting Bruce. It is his best oratorio I think and very moving at the end.

I don't know it at all, so very much looking forward. (As usual, may just wait until then for the first hearing, but on the other hand...) I see there are a number of recordings - more than I would have imagined. Do you have a favorite?

--Bruce

ritter

Quote from: Brewski on January 23, 2014, 09:09:08 AM

More info here:

--Bruce

The chance to see Jeanne d'Arc fully stgaed seems very appealing (NYC, alas, is a bit far from Madrid)...

Miss Cotillard performed the role of Saint Joan, very affectingly, in Barcelona (concert version) at the end of 2012. Snippets are available on YouTube...

Here the Cathérine et Marguerite scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4T3jO1WMmM