Arthur Honegger (1892-1955)

Started by vandermolen, August 31, 2007, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Not much on Honegger so far. He is one of my favourites composers. Last night I heard, on the car radio, what sounded like a great performance of the "Liturgique" Symphony from the Proms in London. Actually I only heard the last movement but the performance (by Maris Jansons and the Bavarian RSO) was wonderful, taken very slowly. The bird-song type epilogue is one of the most moving things I know in classical music.

I like all the symphonies, especially the bleak No 5 as well as the oratorio "Joan of Arc" and also some of the film music on Marco Polo; "L'Idee" and "Les Miserables" in particular. "Pastorale d'ete" is another beautiful, inspiriting score.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

His Orchestal works were the first thing for me. Influenced my choosing further benign composers. The Chambermusic came later, and took me a while to digest, but nowadays I could not do without him. For me his music is deeply moving.

A few of the recordings I have.

Harry

Mark

Quote from: vandermolen on August 31, 2007, 12:43:08 AM
Not much on Honegger so far. He is one of my favourites composers. Last night I heard, on the car radio, what sounded like a great performance of the "Liturgique" Symphony from the Proms in London. Actually I only heard the last movement but the performance (by Maris Jansons and the Bavarian RSO) was wonderful, taken very slowly. The bird-song type epilogue is one of the most moving things I know in classical music.

I'll be uploading that Prom concert in full (along with several others) in the next few weeks. Keep your eyes on the Proms thread. ;)

vandermolen

Thanks Harry and Mark.

Harry,

Can you recommend any chamber music, in particular, as I am largely unfamiliar with it?

Bloch is a composer whose orchestral music led me on to his (very fine) chamber music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on August 31, 2007, 02:55:46 AM
Thanks Harry and Mark.

Harry,

Can you recommend any chamber music, in particular, as I am largely unfamiliar with it?

Bloch is a composer whose orchestral music led me on to his (very fine) chamber music.

You mean from Honegger, or in general?

vandermolen

Dundonnell

I too admire Honegger's music, especially the 2nd, 3rd and 5th symphonies. I treasure the famous Karajan version of Nos. 2 and 3(which I believe is still hard to beat!) but I also have versions of No.3 "Liturgique" conducted by Michel Plasson, Mario Klemens, Paul Sacher and Takuo Yuasa-all acquired because I was seeking other works by Honegger on the respective discs!

"Jeanne d'Arc" has been mentioned. I would also like to draw attention to Honegger's other interesting choral works like "Le Roi David",
"Cris du Monde", "Les danse du mort" and the beautiful Christmas Cantata. All of these are worth hearing! Try the Mime Symphony "Horace Victorieux" as well!

Kullervo

Just bought this disc recently and I love it:

I love Honegger. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite composers.

vandermolen

Quote from: Corey on August 31, 2007, 06:26:13 AM
Just bought this disc recently and I love it:

I love Honegger. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite composers.

That's a very good disc and there is a fine Suppraphon version too.

L'idee is a very unusual and moving animated film score which I'd also recommend:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honegger-LIdee-Deserteur-Je-tattendrai/dp/B0000045YZ/ref=sr_1_1/203-8357764-4422343?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1188574799&sr=1-1

Kullervo

Thank you. This disc has been on my wish list for some time now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000004A3T/ref=wl_it_dp/105-2357417-4567604?ie=UTF8&coliid=I17NL7LKWB30NH&colid=10LPC89KWQ50A

I actually have the film L'idee on my computer... need to watch that. :)

head-case

Jarvi's recording of Honegger 5 on Chandos is remarkable.  The dreary grinding chords of the first movement have just the right feel of strain without harshness, which facilitates the transition the more playfully ironic second movement.  The other version I've recently listened to, the Plasson, fails miserably in my view because the first movement is overdriven, making the second movement seem like a pathetic twittering in the distance.

The new erato

The jazzy little cello concerto is a gem. I know versions by Milos Sadlo on Supraphon, as well as a version by Slava on the 10 CD Brillian Rostropovich Collection.

scottscheule

bhodges

I got this Scherchen version of Pacific 231 recently and like it a lot.  (The Petrushka is good, too, although I'm spoiled by the sparkling sound on Chailly's recording.)

--Bruce

Kullervo

I'd also recommend Yuasa and New Zealand SO's recording of the 3rd with the three symphonic movements and Pastorale d'Ete. Excellent sound and the best Rugby I've heard.

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on August 31, 2007, 03:19:08 AM
Honegger please.

Well a good start are the SQ 1-3.
The Violin Sonates and the Piano Trio.
He has written many small scaled Chamber music, very attractive, but the above mentioned works are in my opinion essential.

Kullervo

Quote from: Harry on August 31, 2007, 12:57:38 AM
His Orchestal works were the first thing for me. Influenced my choosing further benign composers. The Chambermusic came later, and took me a while to digest, but nowadays I could not do without him. For me his music is deeply moving.

A few of the recordings I have.

As soon as I have the money, that box is MINE!  :D

uffeviking

scottscheule

Incidentally, on the IMSLP there's been a lot of Honegger postings lately. 

http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.3%2C_H_186_%28Honegger%2C_Arthur%29

I'm still waiting for Joan at the Stake.