Arthur Honegger (1892-1955)

Started by vandermolen, August 31, 2007, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Brewski on January 23, 2014, 11:29:17 AM
I don't know it at all, so very much looking forward. (As usual, may just wait until then for the first hearing, but on the other hand...) I see there are a number of recordings - more than I would have imagined. Do you have a favorite?

--Bruce

I especially like the one on Supraphon, but maybe this is how I got to know this fine work on LP. Will post a picture if I can find one.

Here it is:
[asin]B000003552[/asin]
It is coupled with the very moving valedictory 'Christmas Cantata', Honegger's last work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bhodges

Ah, perhaps this one?

[asin]B000003552[/asin]

--Bruce

vandermolen

Quote from: Brewski on January 23, 2014, 11:42:10 AM
Ah, perhaps this one?

[asin]B000003552[/asin]

--Bruce

Yes, that's it. See above.
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Since there's been some talk of Jeanne d'Arc au bûcher (a personal favorite of mine) recently, I link the review of the recent Helmuth Rilling recording of the work on Hänssler, published today in www.musicweb-international.com. In general, I agree with John Quinn's assessment, even if I do not share his enthusiasm for the Baudo version on Supraphon.

[asin]B00DUE8JI8[/asin]

http://musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Feb14/Honegger_Jeanne_CD98636.htm

Regards,

not edward

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2014, 11:42:50 AM
Yes, that's it. See above.
Jeffrey
Ooh, very very tempting. Baudo's always good in this sort of rep, and his complete symphony set is excellent.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

71 dB

I had not heard anything by Honegger (not a very popular composer in Finland I think...). I had no clue what to expect when I start listening to a Naxos dics of his orchestral music on Spotify yesterday. I was pleased with what I heard. No atonal chaos. Instead, Honegger is kind of a post war Mendelssohn. It seems Honegger is worth exploring. I did listen to some works mentioned here on Spotify (Concerto for Piano and Orchestra etc.).

I also listened to the first 15 minutes of Morton Feldman's String Quartet, but he is not my cup of tea. Even slower music than Mompou!  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on January 22, 2015, 03:57:01 AM
I also listened to the first 15 minutes of Morton Feldman's String Quartet, but he is not my cup of tea. Even slower music than Mompou!  ;D

You say that like it's a bad thing . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on January 22, 2015, 04:00:47 AM

It usually is to my ears because I feel composers often compose atonal chaos for the sake of it being atonal chaos in order to have the admiration of atonal chaos bandwagoners.

Quote from: karlhenning on January 22, 2015, 04:01:16 AM

It usually is to my ears.  ;) 

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on January 22, 2015, 04:08:30 AM
It usually is to my ears because I feel composers often compose atonal chaos for the sake of it being atonal chaos in order to have the admiration of atonal chaos bandwagoners.

You see the fallacy of supposing bad faith?  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

I had not heard anything by Honegger (not a very popular composer in Finland I think...). I had no clue what to expect when I start listening to a Naxos dics of his orchestral music on Spotify yesterday. I was pleased with what I heard. No atonal chaos. Instead, Honegger is kind of a post war Mendelssohn. It seems Honegger is worth exploring. I did listen to some works mentioned here on Spotify (Concerto for Piano and Orchestra etc.).

I'm not sure that Honegger is a very popular composer anywhere but I really like his music. There is a fine Decca set of Ansermet recordings, including IMHO the best ever version of Symphony 4 'Delights of Basel':
[asin]B0075480RY[/asin]
And I see that there is a new CD featuring a live 1957 recording of the 'Symphonie Liturgique' from the Salzburg Festival under Herbert Von Karajan:
[asin]B00OYXLIUA[/asin]

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: 71 dB on January 22, 2015, 04:08:30 AM

How is that different from composers who compose tonal non-chaos for the sake of it being tonal non-chaos in order to have to admiration of tonal non-chaos bandwagoners?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

COUGH COUGH lowell liebermann COUGH COUGH
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Just listen to Symphony No. 3 'Symphonie Liturgique' under HvK/Berliners on DG. This is quite possibly my favorite Honegger work.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2015, 06:23:20 AM
Just listen to Symphony No. 3 'Symphonie Liturgique' under HvK/Berliners on DG. This is quite possibly my favorite Honegger work.

Come now- No.4 is the place any newbie should start, no? Munch version, please!

No.5- Markevich

2-3- Karajan

1- Munch again???

I really wish someone would record an album of his smaller orchestral works that have only a spotty rec. history--- 'Largo', 'Nocturne', etc.,...

71 dB

Thanks for everyone for the recommendations. However, as I have explaned many times here, I make my unique choices.  0:)

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on January 22, 2015, 04:59:48 AM
How is that different from composers who compose tonal non-chaos for the sake of it being tonal non-chaos in order to have to admiration of tonal non-chaos bandwagoners?

I don't think there is such thing as tonal non-chaos bandwagoners!  ;D

The way I see it after exposing my ears to some music by Honegger is he had a boldly personal and tonal (I read he did not oppose German romanticism that much) style.

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on January 22, 2015, 08:56:51 AM
I don't think there is such thing as tonal non-chaos bandwagoners!  ;D

Quote from: karlhenning on January 22, 2015, 05:02:28 AM
COUGH COUGH lowell liebermann COUGH COUGH
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on January 22, 2015, 07:38:43 AM
Come now- No.4 is the place any newbie should start, no? Munch version, please!

No.5- Markevich

2-3- Karajan

1- Munch again???

I really wish someone would record an album of his smaller orchestral works that have only a spotty rec. history--- 'Largo', 'Nocturne', etc.,...

I very much agree with your choices although I hardly know Symphony 1. I like the Jarvi Chandos CD of symphonies 3 and 5 - a great coupling:
[asin]B000000AS2[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2015, 06:23:20 AM
Mine too.

Cato

Quote from: Brewski on January 23, 2014, 11:42:10 AM
Ah, perhaps this one?

[asin]B000003552[/asin]

--Bruce

I used to have that recording back in the good old days!  Serge Baudo and the Czechs recorded some great stuff back then!

There was also a great London recording of the Christmas Cantata with Ernest Ansermet conducting:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)