Nice to finally join

Started by Spenserian, July 01, 2022, 06:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spenserian

Hello, I'm new here. I used to love classical music in high school but neglected to listen to it since. I've only just rediscovered it and am massively expanding my collection. Often when I googled recommended recordings, especially of more neglected composers, I'd end up here. I thought I'd come in to say thanks and hopefully pay you back. I enjoy the more familiar repertoire, both in classic recordings by e.g. Walter, Furtwängler, Stokowski but also in more modern versions. In high school I loved baroque music and the burgeoning HIP movement, and later dug into contemporary fare, which I would often go to see live. Lately I have largely preoccupied myself with the classical era, by amassing many recordings of Boccherini, Michael Haydn, Hummel, Dittersdorf, Abel, Johann and Carl Stamitz, Vanhal, Wranitzky and so on.

I have an enormously time-consuming way to order my music collection. I rip everything I buy and sort it by composer > work > performer, then play it through my player. This way I can compare versions easily, something I've become a little addicted to...

Thanks for the many great recommendations, and I hope I can pay you back with some of my own!

bhodges

Hi Spenserian, and welcome! (Your first post has to be approved by a moderator -- one of our spam-prevention measures -- but now you can post all you want.)

Have a good time, and I look forward to your comments!

--Bruce

Lisztianwagner

Nice to meet you and welcome!  :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Hello and welcome to GMG!  8)
Olivier

André

DavidW

I'm sure that Sonic Dave will enjoy no longer talking to the void!

Anyway welcome!

vandermolen

Hello from me - hope you enjoy your time here. As my user name suggests I have a partly Dutch background.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

steve ridgway

Welcome to the forum. Ripping is indeed a great way to disincentivise yourself from accumulating more music. I have even more trouble with archive.org where it can take a while to track down what an album download actually is. :'(

Spenserian

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

Wanderer

DavidW

I've had some technical issues with my account, which hopefully is resolved now. :)

Pizzicato-Polka

Welkom op GMG, Spenserian:D I hope you'll enjoy your stay here! Just like you, I too find this forum very helpful. Looking forward for any recommendations for Dutch composers/performers from you!

pjme

Groeten en welkom uit Noord Brabant.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: Spenserian on July 01, 2022, 06:45:56 AM
Hello, I'm new here. I used to love classical music in high school but neglected to listen to it since. I've only just rediscovered it and am massively expanding my collection. Often when I googled recommended recordings, especially of more neglected composers, I'd end up here. I thought I'd come in to say thanks and hopefully pay you back. I enjoy the more familiar repertoire, both in classic recordings by e.g. Walter, Furtwängler, Stokowski but also in more modern versions. In high school I loved baroque music and the burgeoning HIP movement, and later dug into contemporary fare, which I would often go to see live. Lately I have largely preoccupied myself with the classical era, by amassing many recordings of Boccherini, Michael Haydn, Hummel, Dittersdorf, Abel, Johann and Carl Stamitz, Vanhal, Wranitzky and so on.

I have an enormously time-consuming way to order my music collection. I rip everything I buy and sort it by composer > work > performer, then play it through my player. This way I can compare versions easily, something I've become a little addicted to...

Thanks for the many great recommendations, and I hope I can pay you back with some of my own!

I think that you are in the right place and I hope that you have found a home here.
Enjoy your stay here and I look forward to reading your posts in the future.
:)

Que

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."