The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Interesting, iconic and iconoclastic recordings of The Prague Symphony.

<< < (2/7) > >>

Mandryka:

15 years ago, which is about the last time I listened to this symphony, I was really impressed with the one here. So I’m giving it another go. Now the rubato just feels unnecessary and intrusive, but I’ve learned that how rubato feels is a very variable thing - one person’s meat is another person’s poison in the rubato department, and I can feel differently myself depending on how the wind blows.

More worryingly is a heaviness, unsmilingness.

Some of the older ones - the two Maags for example - are too blended a sonority for me. Big international symphony orchestra values, if not faultless implementation of those values. I want to hear the attacks and I want to hear the timbres, I don’t want all the music tidily aligned and sweetly consonant. Harnoncourt’s sound is one of the main positives about the  recording.

Spotted Horses:
I have Bruggen, I don't recall what it is like. There is also Mackerras/Prague, which would be less homogenized than the traditional recordings (but with a harpsichord tinkling away). I seem to have remarkably few recordings of the Mozart symphonies, though I love them.

I stand by Harnoncourt, Concertgebouw, idiosyncrasies notwithstanding.

Archaic Torso of Apollo:
Well I'm just gonna weigh in in favor of good ol' Bruno Walter, who wasn't HIP or anything, but man did he know how to conduct Mozart.

Both the Columbia SO and NYPO recordings are excellent.

DavidW:
Jacobs for me

On the traditional side, Bohm who was such a marvelous Mozartean in all of his recordings.

Spotted Horses:

--- Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 02, 2022, 05:40:08 PM ---Well I'm just gonna weigh in in favor of good ol' Bruno Walter, who wasn't HIP or anything, but man did he know how to conduct Mozart.

Both the Columbia SO and NYPO recordings are excellent.

--- End quote ---

There is also Bruno Walter WPO (live) on DG.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version