Global News

Started by milk, July 08, 2022, 01:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

I don't think we have a global news thread. Anyway, I was in Nara today, working. I pass through Saidaiji on my way here and home. Abe was speaking in front of that station. What a shock!

Former Prime Minister Abe dies after being shot while campaigning in Nara

https://japantoday.com/category/crime/Former-Prime-Minister-Abe-dies-after-being-shot-while-campaigning-in-Nara

71 dB

Quote from: milk on July 08, 2022, 01:16:59 AM
I don't think we have a global news thread. Anyway, I was in Nara today, working. I pass through Saidaiji on my way here and home. Abe was speaking in front of that station. What a shock!

Former Prime Minister Abe dies after being shot while campaigning in Nara

https://japantoday.com/category/crime/Former-Prime-Minister-Abe-dies-after-being-shot-while-campaigning-in-Nara

It is surprising that this happened in a country with extremely strict gun laws and barely 10 gun deaths per year.

I don't know Japanese politics and I have no idea what this shooter had against Abe.  :-\
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

"with improvised firearm."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

milk

Quote from: 71 dB on July 08, 2022, 06:43:02 AM
It is surprising that this happened in a country with extremely strict gun laws and barely 10 gun deaths per year.

I don't know Japanese politics and I have no idea what this shooter had against Abe.  :-\
There have been a few notable political assassinations in modern Japan. Usually, it's an ultra-nationalists who does it but Abe was pretty much their ally. This guy had worked for the military. I feel really shocked. I was teaching a few kilometers from where it happened yesterday.
Japanese don't have a lot of emotion for politics so it's usually some crazy riled up right-winger. I don't know what it is in this case. I'm stumped. I'm interested to see if they'll discuss the failure of security or if it'll be glaringly avoided. I just doubt American Secret Service would let a nut stand behind Obama and whip out a weapon and shoot twice. Japanese police and security can seem really amateurish sometimes. I think there's a very hands-off attitude here.

Jo498

It seems also really odd to target a politician who was already out of office... Or was Abe campaigning for some kind of comeback?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

milk

Quote from: Jo498 on July 09, 2022, 12:26:07 AM
It seems also really odd to target a politician who was already out of office... Or was Abe campaigning for some kind of comeback?
I think the assassin was just a little bonkers. He claims to have this grudge against Abe because of some connection to a religious group. That seems weird because I'm not aware of Abe being involved in any religion in particular. The assassin's mother was brainwashed by some kind of cult - or so claims the killer. Abe was very connected to right-wing groups. My guess is this is a nutty guy. His house was full of home-made weapons. I didn't like Abe much but I still feel shocked by it. It's weird how that works. There are people killed in tragic ways every day. Human psychology is odd. I don't like that the guy was blown away so easily on the street.
Terrible security, I'll say that. Someone must be feeling guilt over not jumping out more quickly.

Florestan

Quote from: milk on July 09, 2022, 03:28:05 AM

I think the assassin was just a little bonkers.

Just a little? I think he is completely mad. What's the point of killing a former prime-minister?

Otoh, I completely agree about Japanese security forces being a disgrace.

Incidentally, Shinzo Abe was the unwilling protagonist of an embarassing diplomatic incident for Romania. A few years ago, just the day before he was scheduled to visit Romania, the Romanian prime-minister resigned so when Abe came he was greeted at the airport by a second-rank secretary of state in the Foreign Ministry, then the Mayor of Bucharest showed him around the oldest public garden in the city and eventually the President saved the day by receiving him at the Presidential Palace at very short notice. During the ad hoc press conference afterwards, he thanked Romania for offering him such a warm welcome and expressed his deepest gratitude for being offered the opportunity to visit the Japanese Garden of Bucharest. All commenters back then and all commenters these days agree on that (1) his diplomatic skills were outstanding and (2) no Japanese prime-minister will ever visit Romania anymore during at least the next 100 years. It was a truly embarassing day and I felt personally ashamed by the behaviour of the Romanian authorities.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

milk

Quote from: Florestan on July 09, 2022, 06:03:05 AM
Just a little? I think he is completely mad. What's the point of killing a former prime-minister?

Otoh, I completely agree about Japanese security forces being a disgrace.

Incidentally, Shinzo Abe was the unwilling protagonist of an embarassing diplomatic incident for Romania. A few years ago, just the day before he was scheduled to visit Romania, the Romanian prime-minister resigned so when Abe came he was greeted at the airport by a second-rank secretary of state in the Foreign Ministry, then the Mayor of Bucharest showed him around the oldest public garden in the city and eventually the President saved the day by receiving him at the Presidential Palace at very short notice. During the ad hoc press conference afterwards, he thanked Romania for offering him such a warm welcome and expressed his deepest gratitude for being offered the opportunity to visit the Japanese Garden of Bucharest. All commenters back then and all commenters these days agree on that (1) his diplomatic skills were outstanding and (2) no Japanese prime-minister will ever visit Romania anymore during at least the next 100 years. It was a truly embarassing day and I felt personally ashamed by the behaviour of the Romanian authorities.
Interesting. Well, these things happen I guess. Who was the last American president to visit Romania? I'm sure I can look it up. Yes, more than a little bonkers. But, sadly, this has happened before in Japan. I think a PM was stabbed to death in the middle of an event some decades ago and the mayor of Hiroshima was shot to death if I'm not mistaken. Well, here's a description of attacks on and assassinations of politicians in Japan: https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/history-of-political-assassinations-in-japan

Florestan

Quote from: milk on July 09, 2022, 06:22:00 AM
Who was the last American president to visit Romania?

Bill Clinton.

This year we've been visited by VPOTUS Kamala Harris and FLOTUS Jill Biden.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

milk

Quote from: Florestan on July 09, 2022, 06:25:57 AM
Bill Clinton.
I see. That dude got around. People loved him too.

BTW, the group Abe was close to the his killer may have been upset about could be Nippon Kaigi - a Shinto group. Abe was into that nationalistic state emperor worship type stuff. Apparently, the police are being circumspect about naming the group outright.

Daverz

Quote from: 71 dB on July 08, 2022, 06:43:02 AM

Abe was the grandson of the notorious war criminal Nobusuke Kishi. and was known for his pandering to the ultra-right.  That said, from the early reports it doesn't seem that the attack was political in intent.

greg

Ha, was wondering at first why there was no thread on this, but here we go.  :)

Was discussing with my brother today. He has still been in the media a bit, it seems. I used to follow him a little back when he was PM, but not much since.

Nara is such a chill, peaceful city, love that place. Must be the most unexpected thing to see some crazed gunman there.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

milk

Quote from: Daverz on July 09, 2022, 05:02:12 PM
Abe was the grandson of the notorious war criminal Nobusuke Kishi. and was known for his pandering to the ultra-right.  That said, from the early reports it doesn't seem that the attack was political in intent.
There's a political edge to it but there was a personal grudge here. Abe pandered, and even broke some laws in catering, to right wing Shinto groups. The shooter's mother apparently gave all her money to one of those groups and bankrupted herself. This lead to his grudge. But, of course, he also just seems looney. That gun he made is pretty crazy. I can't believe he got that things to fire two shots let alone aim and hit with it.
Quote from: greg on July 09, 2022, 06:10:11 PM
Ha, was wondering at first why there was no thread on this, but here we go.  :)

Was discussing with my brother today. He has still been in the media a bit, it seems. I used to follow him a little back when he was PM, but not much since.

Nara is such a chill, peaceful city, love that place. Must be the most unexpected thing to see some crazed gunman there.
I was working in Nara on Friday. I pass through Saidaiji; this happened right in front of the train station. I also like Nara. Compared to Kyoto it's very chill, easy to walk or bike around and the deer make it unique. There are things to see and nice cafes too.

71 dB

Quote from: milk on July 10, 2022, 12:09:08 AM
The shooter's mother apparently gave all her money to one of those groups and bankrupted herself. This lead to his grudge.

That explains a lot, thanks!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Quote from: Johnnie Burgess on July 10, 2022, 10:01:07 AMWith China wanting to expand, can Japan hold out till the US could help them.

About 80,000 US military personnel are stationed in Japan and South Korea.  With that many servicemembers comes significant logistical support.  Also, per the US Navy, the US Seventh Fleet is the largest forward deployed fleet.  The US maintains a sufficient deterrent force in the Pacific to prevent the Chinese from expanding at a rapid clip.  The expansion will take at least a decade.

milk

Quote from: Todd on July 10, 2022, 09:58:11 AM
From the Gray Lady:

Shinzo Abe's Party Triumphs in Parliamentary Vote, Extending Legacy

The Liberal Democrats and their partners gained enough seats to form a supermajority. They can now amend the country's pacifist Constitution.

More of the same. More bigger. More older. More same-y. Japan keeps its tanker of a country afloat, partly as a U.S. subsidiary and arm of its military interests. Japanese aren't very productive I don't think, certainly not efficient. They do spend a lot of time and energy running around inside the country, never imagining what's going on outside (almost 0% study abroad). I guess that's Ok. They live on savings, debt and the weak yen. It worries me this country. Never change. But fading. If China, South Korea, Japan, Thailand and Vietnam ever decided to be friends, they could rule the world. Well, that'll never happen.

milk

I was wrong. The grudge the guy had was against the Moonies.

Todd

Nearly $2tn of damage inflicted on other countries by US emissions

Full scholarly article: National attribution of historical climate damages

Putting a price tag on emissions opens could further open the floodgates of legal action by wronged parties.  Even if the US no longer leads the world in absolute number of attorneys or attorneys per capita, the US still has plenty to defend the US government and US domiciled business interests that may be sued.  Plus a new wave of litigation may tempt more people into the field.  So many billable hours.