Tory leadership race.

Started by Irons, July 13, 2022, 12:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on July 21, 2022, 07:52:37 AM
How about this for a chain of events. Truss wins, then loses the next General Election. Tory party on their knees in desperation plead for the return of Boris. "Hasta la vista, baby".

I don't think it matters who wins the next election. They're all as bad as each other.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on July 21, 2022, 08:01:47 AM
I don't think it matters who wins the next election. They're all as bad as each other.

Fair point.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Presenter collapses on live television during leader debate!

https://youtu.be/EvFVY7yqjoA
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

The new erato

They've started doing leadership?

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mandryka on July 21, 2022, 08:01:47 AM

I think you said the same about Starmer vs Johnson, widening the implied spectre even further. Among other things, it's the lazy way out. But both those two current, conservative candidates surely don't appear particularly socially conscious, when looked at from Scandinavia.

Mandryka

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 27, 2022, 10:00:45 PM
I think you said the same about Starmer vs Johnson, widening the implied spectre even further. Among other things, it's the lazy way out. But both those two current, conservative candidates surely don't appear particularly socially conscious, when looked at from Scandinavia.

Starmer ≈ Sunak. Or rather Starmer will adopt Sunak's economic policies in the next election against Truss.

Starmer doesn't appear socially conscious - look at the way he's abandoned RMT, for example. I don't think we could  expect better public services under Starmer than we'll get under Truss.

I think it doesn't matter very much who is in power, Labour or Tory.

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 27, 2022, 10:00:45 PM

Nor are the current Labour leadership (socially conscious) so he has a point. A Labour front bench shadow minister was sacked yesterday for joining a picket line. He is also threatened with deselection from his constituency seat for left-leaning views.
Johnson, Rishi and Starmer share a similar political place. Truss I'm not so sure.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on July 27, 2022, 11:49:35 PM
Nor are the current Labour leadership (socially conscious) so he has a point. A Labour front bench shadow minister was sacked yesterday for joining a picket line. He is also threatened with deselection from his constituency seat for left-leaning views.
Johnson, Rishi and Starmer share a similar political place. Truss I'm not so sure.

I didn't know the recent Sam Tarry story or the Starmer intervention against shadow ministers appearing in picket lines (apparently the strike there wasn't illegal). The Guardian has an in-depth report and BBC tells about the anger from the unions. Yet, one should focus primarily on the expressed and concrete policies of the parties in relation to the state budget and social inequality, and I think that for example the Labour Manifesto does have more of a social dimension to it than the Conservative one of laissez-faire.

Mandryka

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 28, 2022, 12:20:20 AM
I didn't know the recent Sam Tarry story or the Starmer intervention against shadow ministers appearing in picket lines (apparently the strike there wasn't illegal). The Guardian has an in-depth report and BBC tells about the anger from the unions. Yet, one should focus primarily on the expressed and concrete policies of the parties in relation to the state budget and social inequality, and I think that for example the Labour Manifesto does have more of a social dimension to it than the Conservative one of laissez-faire.

That's interesting. What do you think Labour would do that the tories wouldn't?

The very fact that Labour is not supporting the workers in the RMT dispute must give you pause for thought vis-à-vis their social and economic policies. Labour are as monetarist as the Conservatives. Labour discourage popular participation in power, just as the tories do. Both parties are authoritarian and nationalist. Both parties curry favour with big business. Neither party is interested in improving public services, or in halting deregulation.

Of course, Labour are scared that the press will present them as favouring sectorial interests over national interests if they support the unions.

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 28, 2022, 12:20:20 AM

It is all a sham. Labour spread unfounded stories that Tories will sell off the beloved NHS. Johnson, who has no problem being profligate with our money bungs millions in that direction to spike Labour's guns. Oh for the days of Harold Wilson and Margaret Thatcher when you knew what politicians stood for. I'm reaching the stage for the first time in my life I'm not bothered who wins the next general election. 

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mandryka on July 28, 2022, 12:35:48 AM
That's interesting. What do you think Labour would do that the tories wouldn't?

The very fact that Labour is not supporting the workers in the RMT dispute must give you pause for thought vis-à-vis their social and economic policies. Labour are as monetarist as the Conservatives. Labour discourage popular participation in power, just as the tories do. Both parties are authoritarian and nationalist. Both parties curry favour with big business. Neither party is interested in improving public services, or in halting deregulation.

Of course, Labour are scared that the press will present them as favouring sectorial interests over national interests if they support the unions.

The Labour Manifesto has a lot of specified initiatives, for example in the 'Tackle Poverty and Inequality' section. After 12 years of absence in government, they'd have to carry through at least some of it, to produce tangible results.

vandermolen

An old school friend of my brother's commented that a Liz Truss premiership (which looks increasingly likely) would be 'like Boris without the jokes'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2022, 11:51:53 PM
An old school friend of my brother's commented that a Liz Truss premiership (which looks increasingly likely) would be 'like Boris without the jokes'.

or with nice hair or without the intellectual rigour......... (oh no that's not right.......)

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2022, 11:51:53 PM

I'm not so sure. I don't know what to make of her. Raised in a Labour supporting family, joined the Liberal party and voted Remain! Yet the blue-rinse Tories prefer her to dishi Rishi. Maybe a disaster but I don't think she will be Boris mark 2.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 31, 2022, 05:02:57 AM
I'm not so sure. I don't know what to make of her. Raised in a Labour supporting family, joined the Liberal party and voted Remain! Yet the blue-rinse Tories prefer her to dishi Rishi. Maybe a disaster but I don't think she will be Boris mark 2.
I hope not anyway Lol  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on July 31, 2022, 05:02:57 AM
Yet the blue-rinse Tories prefer her to dishi Rishi.

Well Rishi has brown skin.

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on July 31, 2022, 11:22:26 AM
Well Rishi has brown skin.

Don't know if you are saying they are racist or you are?

vandermolen

Watched the SKY News debate last night. I agreed with the studio audience that Sunak was far more impressive than Truss and looked more like a Prime Minister. However, I suspect that Truss will win for being 'loyal to Boris'. For me that is a reason not to support her.

Que

Quote from: vandermolen on August 05, 2022, 03:21:39 AM
Watched the SKY News debate last night. I agreed with the studio audience that Sunak was far more impressive than Truss and looked more like a Prime Minister. However, I suspect that Truss will win for being 'loyal to Boris'. For me that is a reason not to support her.

The impression I get is that Truss is a total nitwit....and disingenuous. Still, she makes all kinds of promises she cannot keep and that is always a good recipe for political succes. Sunak is a smart guy who understands finance, which seems a good idea given the economic turbulance ahead.  But being a banker who married into a family of bilionaires, I doubt if many of the Conservative upper middle class can feel much of a connection with him. Not particularly a "a man of the people".

Boris' Titanic will keep its course!  ::)

Irons

He who wields the knife in the Tory party never wins the crown. Rishi only had to look back to the Thatcher demise to see the game is up for him. Heseltine a far more capable politician, and unlike Rishi a self-made millionaire, had his heart set to become leader and Prime Minister. He dealt Thatcher a mortal blow, but because of this the party turned their back on him and picked possibly the worst post-war PM, John Major. The game was up for Johnson with the resignation of Sunak as it was up for Thatcher with the resignation of Heseltine. Neither achieved what their actions were planned to achieve. I don't think Sunak has played this at all well.