Suggestions for Mozart's Coronation Mass

Started by Olias, July 16, 2022, 02:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olias

I'm usually more a fan of secular instrumental works, but I saw a concert in Salisbury Cathedral (England) last month in which Mozart's Coronation Mass was performed.  I've heard it before but would like to get a good recording.  Any suggestions (either period instruments or modern instruments is fine) would be welcome.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

Que

Excellent period performances are by Hogwood, Pinnock and Peter Neumann:

My personal favourites areHogwood and Neumann (preferably in the complete set pictured)

Jo498

Harnoncourt (with Vespers K 339, the latter include some chant responsories which some might not like).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

San Antone

Quote from: Iota on July 17, 2022, 01:12:15 AM
I always return to the Gardiner below, a Goldilocks recording for me.

That is a fantastic recording, but not of the Coronation Mass (K. 317) - it is The Great Mass in C Minor, K. 427.  Easy to get them mixed up.   ;)   

Regarding K. 317 I like Bruggen and Hogwood.

Iota

Quote from: San Antone on July 17, 2022, 01:26:44 AM
That is a fantastic recording, but not of the Coronation Mass (K. 317) - it is The Great Mass in C Minor, K. 427.  Easy to get them mixed up.   ;)   

Oh oops! Sunday morning fog. And heat! 

VonStupp

I enjoy Sir Neville Marriner from 1971, primarily for his team of soloists, of which, Ileana Cotrubaș is a soprano I adore in Mozart. Cotrubaș, Watts, Tear, and Shirley-Quirk also solo in the paired Requiem and Litany K195.

I was mighty impressed with the Schola Cantorum of Oxford the last time I listened, chorus mastered by Andrew Parrott.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

aligreto

I second the Hogwood.

Also, for those who may be interested in a very fine "Old School" performance I would suggest Horenstein. I am not sure whether or not this presentation is available on CD.

Que

Quote from: San Antone on July 17, 2022, 01:26:44 AM

Interesting - I didn't know (of) the Brüggen!

Jo498

Quote from: VonStupp on July 17, 2022, 04:35:11 AM
I enjoy Sir Neville Marriner from 1971, primarily for his team of soloists, of which, Ileana Cotrubaș is a soprano I adore in Mozart.
Yes, that's a "luxury version" ;)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Olias

Yay thanks!  After listening to excerpts online I'm leaning towards the Pinnock and Hogwood recordings.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein