French Baroque Music

Started by Que, June 23, 2007, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on January 30, 2017, 05:55:49 PM
Hayashi ("Ascents of soul") - A plucky sounding harpsichord, probably a late 17th century French one. Meditative, thinking, inquiring, not really sorrowful (which is ok). Has a nice sense of rhythm. But lacks a sense of humble magnificence, I guess. Still, rather nice.

Sempe - A soft-spoken Ruckers. Actually reminds me quite a lot of van Asperen, but rather more hesitant and delicate. Humble, beautiful, full of humanistic compassion, like a father whose arms you cry into when you're sad. I can't say much more, but this recording is just lovely in a special way.

van Asperen - I'll admit, this was one of my my absolute favorite recordings, but it just tasted sorta bland after Sempe. Still, while not delicate as Sempe, it's still powerful, moving, and profound. van Asperen has a queer way of phrasing of little pauses that remind me of how some people speak which I really like. I love how everything just opens up in the middle section here.

So, in the manner of blind comparisons, here are them from least favorite to favorite.
Ogg+Brosse+Moroney (hard to rank the least-likes)
Verlet
Hayashi
Egarr
Stewart
(I would gladly own anything after this)
Leonhardt (Alpha)
Leonhardt (DHM)
Rousset
van Asperen
Wilson
Sempe

I searched for the name Hayashi and this was the only reference I found. She's based in York, is active now and has a few recordings to her name. This was released earlier this year, and for me it's been one of the most rewarding releases of 2019 to date

Hayashi does for Royer what Cuiller did for Rameau. Subjective, passionate, elegant, expressive. It's a radical, and I mean radical, reassessment of the music and I think that what she does is much more interesting than more theatrical, virtuoso approaches.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: San Antone on November 01, 2019, 04:13:04 PM

Lambert : Leçons de Ténèbres
Marc Mauillon

Excerpt from Amazon reviewer Stephen Midgley:

Thanks for posting!  :) I don't have a recording of these Leçons... yet... :)

I know the comper from his (famous) airs de cour, some are which are included in the fabulous recording below:

[asin]B00004YZ10[/asin]
Q

SonicMan46

At the moment, I'm listening to my modest Leclair collection - his works are listed in the quote below (Source) - from my count adds up to about 90 works, virtually all related to the violin; however, at least 8 of these compositions were written were a flute(s) could be substituted, hence the two 2-disc sets of 'Flute Music', one PI and one MI (note the * indicates the flute works from the Naxos set below).

Now, I've not perused the 30+ pages of this thread, so not sure how much has been discussed about Leclair - also, I've not updated this collection in years, so would be curious about other more recent offerings from this seminal French violinist - Dave :)

Leclair, Jean-Marie - "Jean-Marie Leclair, the Elder, (born 1697, Lyon - 1764, Paris), French violinist, composer, and dancing master who established the French school of violin playing. In 1722 Leclair was principal dancer and ballet master at Turin. After finishing his violin studies, he went to Paris and began in 1728 a brilliant career as a violinist-composer. He later became a musician of the royal chamber. Leclair, whose last years were clouded by despair and distrust, was murdered, possibly by his estranged wife or nephew. He published four books of sonatas for violin and continuo, two books of sonatas for two unaccompanied violins, five sets of Récréations for two violins and continuo, and two sets of string concerti. He also wrote an opera, Scylla et Glaucus. (edited - Source)"

QuoteOp. 1 Nos. 1-12 Violin Sonatas*(2)
Op. 2 Nos. 1-12 Violin Sonatas*(5)
Op. 3 Nos. 1-6 Sonatas Two Violins
Op. 4 Nos. 1-6 Trios Two Violins + BC
Op. 5 Nos. 1-12 Violin Sonatas
Op. 6 Recreation de musique D Major
Op. 7 Nos. 1-6 Violin Concertos
Op. 8 Recreation de musique G Minor*(1)
Op. 9 Nos. 1-12 Violin Sonatas*(2)
Op.10 Nos. 1-6 Violin Concertos
Op. 11 Scylia de Glaucus, Tragedy Opera
Op. 12 Nos. 1-6 Sonatas Two Violins
Op. 13 Nos. 1-6 Overtures/Trios 2 Violins+BC
Op. 14 Trio Two Violins + BD
Op. 15 Violin Sonata  TOTAL (Op. 1 to 15) = 90
Divertissement for Le danger des epreuves
Apollon et Climene etc (lost)
Incidental airs and dances (lost)
*9 Flute Works in Naxos 2-CD set

71 dB

Looks like I have exactly ONE work by Leclair: Sonata à trois Op. 2, No. 8 on an ONDINE disc that was given to me some years ago.

:P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Quote from: 71 dB on April 01, 2020, 11:11:23 AM
Looks like I have exactly ONE work by Leclair: Sonata à trois Op. 2, No. 8 on an ONDINE disc that was given to me some years ago.

:P

Hi Pujo - well, I listened to those half dozen or so discs today and enjoyed; if you're into the flute, both of the double sets are quite good - my preference is for the period instrument recording on Accent - Barthold Kuijken uses an original (probably repaired) 1745 flute - for those who may be interested, a review of that recording is attached.  Also, Leclair is arguably considered the 'Father of French Violin Playing' and developed a number of innovations for the instrument, so the violin recordings are worth exploring - the first two images I showed above have Monica Huggett & Elizabeth Wallfisch respectively on period violins.  Dave :)

71 dB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 01, 2020, 01:14:39 PM
Hi Pujo - well, I listened to those half dozen or so discs today and enjoyed; if you're into the flute, both of the double sets are quite good - my preference is for the period instrument recording on Accent - Barthold Kuijken uses an original (probably repaired) 1745 flute - for those who may be interested, a review of that recording is attached.  Also, Leclair is arguably considered the 'Father of French Violin Playing' and developed a number of innovations for the instrument, so the violin recordings are worth exploring - the first two images I showed above have Monica Huggett & Elizabeth Wallfisch respectively on period violins.  Dave :)

Thanks Dave for this info. Good to know there's so many good discs out there of Leclair, a composer who has remained under my radar for some unknown reason...  :P That one work I have is pretty nice stuff, so this a clearly a composer worth exploring.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Carlo Gesualdo

I am not the most devoted fan of Baroque, but sometime ago I purchased a wonderful album Featuring: Lully, a certain de Delalande I was not familiar whit and another name Guilian. The CD is called Messe du Roi Soleil, under direction of Margerite Louise, Géantan Jarry, the sleeve pretty so is the music, Label Château de Versaille.

You wont be disappointed, It made me like Lully and Jump in the past Motets CD on naxos volume 1-3, to rediscover Lully Motets.

I buy this whit a blindfold on, trust me...  8)

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello ghet this album fast, soon, someday

[asin]B07GVXBQC8[/asin]
Michel-Richard de Lalande on glossa is awesome perfert rendition, production, presentation

8)

Greetings folks

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 15, 2011, 04:58:09 PM
Chambonnieres, Jacques Champion de (1601/2-1672) - 'father' of 17th century harpsichord music, according to references that I've read - probably close to the truth.  Well, I now own the 3 recordings shown below, do I need all of them?  All are quite good and several are still available from BRO for bargain prices!  So, pertinent to this thread, I'd (and likely others) might be interested in member opinions of these various interpretations?  Thanks all -  :D

LOL  :laugh:!  Post of mine above from 2011, and I still have the same 3 recordings - up to the 'C's now in a perusal of my classical collection - still wondering 'how much' duplication is in my Chambonnieres discs, so attached is an edited chart w/ a list of his compositions - I've tried to match them up as best as I can mainly using the keys and matching dance movements - the Baumont's w/ ? marks are ones w/ the same name, key and close together, i.e. don't know which one?  BUT, appears that Baumont duplicates all of the Flint disk I own (NOTE - on Amazon USA, Flint now has 5 discs listed in 2 packages); as to Lengellé, 3 pieces are not covered by Baumont.  Comments and recommendations appreciated - I've listened to each harpsichordist and prefer Baumont but the gals are good too!  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 20, 2022, 10:23:21 AM
LOL  :laugh:!  Post of mine above from 2011, and I still have the same 3 recordings - up to the 'C's now in a perusal of my classical collection - still wondering 'how much' duplication is in my Chambonnieres discs, so attached is an edited chart w/ a list of his compositions - I've tried to match them up as best as I can mainly using the keys and matching dance movements - the Baumont's w/ ? marks are ones w/ the same name, key and close together, i.e. don't know which one?  BUT, appears that Baumont duplicates all of the Flint disk I own (NOTE - on Amazon USA, Flint now has 5 discs listed in 2 packages); as to Lengellé, 3 pieces are not covered by Baumont.  Comments and recommendations appreciated - I've listened to each harpsichordist and prefer Baumont but the gals are good too!  Dave :)

I have both the Flint sets. When I first got it I thought that Vol 2 was a real ear opener, that was the recording which started to make me think that Chambonnières was an interesting composer, for more than historical reasons. Particularly the D major pieces there. I like Baumont when he plays with with Claire Antonini , just because I like the combination of lute and harpsichord.

You're not going to pursue this, but the elephant in the room with Chambonnières is Jane Chapman - you'll find her on Spotify. It is a mini- Bauyn Manuscript revolution, a paradigm change.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on March 20, 2022, 11:27:45 AM
I have both the Flint sets. When I first got it I thought that Vol 2 was a real ear opener, that was the recording which started to make me think that Chambonnières was an interesting composer, for more than historical reasons. Particularly the D major pieces there. I like Baumont when he plays with with Claire Antonini , just because I like the combination of lute and harpsichord.

You're not going to pursue this, but the elephant in the room with Chambonnières is Jane Chapman - you'll find her on Spotify. It is a mini- Bauyn Manuscript revolution, a paradigm change.

Thanks - I'll take a look at the Flint sets (my recording is just a single disc), but I still like Baumont - had not heard of Jane Chapman, so did a little looking around on her website (quote from there) and at the 'meaning' of the Bauyn Manuscript, so I did some 'initial pursuit' -  ;)  Also, will look on Spotify and see what recordings of hers may be available there - not much on Amazon USA.  Dave :)

QuoteDescribed as "Britain's most progressive harpsichordist", and in the Guardian as "a fearless contemporary music performer" Jane Chapman is at the forefront of creating and inspiring new music for harpsichord. She has premiered over 200 solo, chamber and electroacoustic works for the instrument worldwide. Equally passionate about baroque and contemporary music, she has collaborated with ground-breaking composers, artists and dancers, working with musicians from the worlds of Indian music, jazz, and the avant-garde. ...her recordings and recitals reveal both a scholarly and inventive approach to the baroque repertoire. Her CDs of 18th-century English music, 'The Lady's Banquet', and of the 17th-century French Bauyn Manuscript, offered the first extensive overviews of important sources previously unexplored on disc and were both highly acclaimed.. (Source)

Mandryka

A very clear anticipation of Rubsam's lute harpsichord style. Rübsam produced the recording, clearly something was cooking up between them.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on August 01, 2022, 11:27:13 PM

A very clear anticipation of Rubsam's lute harpsichord style. Rübsam produced the recording, clearly something was cooking up between them.

It's a pity that I'm not keen on either of them, because I would love more lute-harpsichord recordings.