What,very similar 2 Howlin Wolf Heavy Guitar bludgeoning? Laden Blues/rock kind

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, July 29, 2022, 09:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Look, I'm limited in the Obscure of Blues matrix of  mid 40 to mid 60 Legends, if I dig early Howlin' Wolf  as fabuleous Blues top gun of his genre what is  very very close in sound to him same time spam 50' to mid 60'', Love my Best OF made in Britain in 2010 of an old recordings re-edited, very sweet LP it's a portrait of Him painting in blue whit  him and his Bourbon wisky , the album impressed me so much, I am looking for new name whit a full lp of at least decent 12'' inch of era of raw and hard we could says tuff son of a gun heck, who fit the bills, whom blugeon his Guitar Hard, I know there is Pat Hare but there is no full LP of him even on discogs there nothings only 7''  :'(
And I shure love  good old  eblues, to early rock  the 50'' guitar in the red  from slow pace to mid pace, very intense stuff, not know of newbies hey?

Please help deprofundis discover other hard hitting  blues man  to early rock of the 50'', that is so underated or unknow yet these legends exist, and there playing  type bludgeoning of guitar, whit same tyoe of singer, is Howlin' Wolf aka Chester Burnett R.I.P.

Help me out discover obscur LP of old blues  and rock very confrontational, intense, in fury  :)

j winter

Greetings,

If you love Howlin' Wolf and are looking for more classic 50's electric blues, then I would think Muddy Waters might be a logical next step.  There are many, many great records for Chess back in the 50's/60's, his original Greatest Hits has many classics.  But if you really want LOUD I would suggest his late 1970's stuff done with Johnny Winter and his band.  Hard Again is my personal fave... if you don't like the version of Mannish Boy on this, you need to have your ears checked... :)

I believe San Antone had several blues threads here a long while back, you might want to search for those for recommendations as well...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: j winter on July 29, 2022, 01:01:48 PM
Greetings,

If you love Howlin' Wolf and are looking for more classic 50's electric blues, then I would think Muddy Waters might be a logical next step.  There are many, many great records for Chess back in the 50's/60's, his original Greatest Hits has many classics.  But if you really want LOUD I would suggest his late 1970's stuff done with Johnny Winter and his band.  Hard Again is my personal fave... if you don't like the version of Mannish Boy on this, you need to have your ears checked... :)

I believe San Antone had several blues threads here a long while back, you might want to search for those for recommendations as well...

Thank you sir for intervention I most defenetly agree, and my father told me to check out Muddy Water, I will check San Antone  post, once again thanks yahyou're so kind  :)

KevinP

For a singer somewhat reminiscent of Wolf, try Tail Dragger, sometimes known as Tail Dragger Jones. Wolf himself gave him the nickname. Still alive (in his 80s), he used to sit in for Wolf. I wouldn't say he sounds similar to Wolf (I wouldn't say anybody sounds similar to Wolf), but he has a very powerful, gravelly voice that's very much his own, just as Wolf did. I think he took over Wolf's band after his death, or at least employed many of his players from it.

He didn't record until late in life, so it's not an expansive back catalogue. There's also a Delmark live DVD that's a lot of fun. (I think it was also released as a CD. Get the DVD instead if it's in print.)

On the more guitar-oriented side of things, try Blyther Smith. Great voice though it's more mainstream that Wolf's or Tail Dragger's. I think his 1981 Hold that Train album is a blues classic, or at least a lesser-known gem. I've heard a few albums by him and none of them were bad, but everything just works in a greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts way on this one. (There's also a live Delmark DVD by him as well.)

He just passed less than a year ago, aged 89.

By the way, are you familiar with Elmore James? If not, go there first.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh