The Music Room > The Polling Station

Favorite Mahler Lieder

(1/3) > >>

vers la flamme:
What are your favorites? Yes, I'm including the songs from Das Lied von der Erde.

Question for discussion: What's your favorite of the cycles? Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen, Des Knaben Wunderhorn, Rückert-Lieder, Kindertotenlieder, DLvdE...? How much am I missing out on by not including the earlier songs?

Did I forget anyone's favorite?

JBS:
My preference for the cycles, from least favorite to most favorite
dKW
LeFG
KTL
dLvdE
RL

Archaic Torso of Apollo:

--- Quote from: vers la flamme on August 02, 2022, 12:02:51 PM ---
Question for discussion: What's your favorite of the cycles? Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen, Des Knaben Wunderhorn, Rückert-Lieder, Kindertotenlieder, DLvdE...?

--- End quote ---

Overall I'd say Des Knaben Wunderhorn, even though it's not so much a cycle as a collection (in modern terms, an album). I do like them all, though.

Todd:
Having recently worked through the entire Bernstein III set, I got to reassess the song cycles.   Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen and Kindertotenlieder are my favorite cycles, and the Des Knaben Wunderhorn with Lucia Popp was much better than remembered.  The first two cycles I like without reservation, but the others are very much performance dependent.  I typically find it hard to get into Das Lied von der Erde, no matter the performers.  I don't really listen for the individual songs.

DavidW:

--- Quote from: vers la flamme on August 02, 2022, 12:02:51 PM ---Did I forget anyone's favorite?

--- End quote ---

Not from one of the cycles but my favorite is O Mensch Gib Acht from the third symphony.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version