Music Man piano lesson scene

Started by dwburger, August 09, 2022, 09:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwburger

In the movie, Music Man, there's a scene where a girl is practicing a tune consistently missing the last note.  I'm trying to identify the song she's playing.  I think it's from Beethoven, but, so far, I have not been able to find or identify it.  Thanks for any help on this!

VonStupp

I assume from a quick listen, the music she is practicing before the singing starts is still Meredith Willson's music. It seems to be the same music in the movie as it is in local productions. Still, I could be wrong. I may scrounge for a score, if I can locate it.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

dwburger

Thanks for the suggestion!  I found the score for "The Music Man" and the sheet music for that scene.  It's only one line of notes that is repeated a few times.  Now, after seeing the sheet music and playing the notes myself, I don't think this is the tune I'm looking for.  However, it's very similar.  The background to all this is that a song that sounds very similar to this is one my Mother played occasionally when I was a child.  I never knew what it was and, now, I'm trying to figure out what it is/was.

VonStupp

Quote from: dwburger on August 12, 2022, 05:35:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestion!  I found the score for "The Music Man" and the sheet music for that scene.  It's only one line of notes that is repeated a few times.  Now, after seeing the sheet music and playing the notes myself, I don't think this is the tune I'm looking for.  However, it's very similar.  The background to all this is that a song that sounds very similar to this is one my Mother played occasionally when I was a child.  I never knew what it was and, now, I'm trying to figure out what it is/was.

Good luck! I hope you find it!

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

AuntieBarb

The song is "Rustic Dance" by C. R. Howell.

You can search on YouTube to hear it. I was taking piano lessons around the time The Music Man came out in 1962.  When I watched the film today I remembered playing the song on the piano but could not remember the name. 😊

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AuntieBarb on March 01, 2024, 07:58:58 AMThe song is "Rustic Dance" by C. R. Howell.

You can search on YouTube to hear it. I was taking piano lessons around the time The Music Man came out in 1962.  When I watched the film today I remembered playing the song on the piano but could not remember the name. 😊

Hello AuntieBarb and welcome to the forum!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter