The Beatles albums remixed by Giles Martin

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, August 10, 2022, 12:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2022, 07:47:15 AM
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is my favorite Beatles album. This isn't to say I don't appreciate some of the others (I love Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine, too). I even like their 'poppy' earlier work, but, truth be told, I seldom listen to them. My dad is a huge Beatles fan and I certainly understand their importance and impact on music, but if I'm in a rock mood, I'm more inclined to listen to The Police, Pink Floyd or King Crimson than The Beatles.
I collected them all as they came out on LP when I was a child and adolescent. My favourites are White Album, Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 06, 2022, 07:57:11 AM
I collected them all as they came out on LP when I was a child and adolescent. My favourites are White Album, Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour.

Very nice, Jeffrey. This is what dad did, too. He's 70 yrs. old and he was obsessed (or so he tells me).

Spotted Horses

I'm not sure I'm on board with this trend of albums being remixed/remastered by the offspring of the original producer. First it was Tom Fine redoing Mercury Living Presence, now Giles Martin.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 06, 2022, 10:11:50 AM
I'm not sure I'm on board with this trend of albums being remixed/remastered by the offspring of the original producer. First it was Tom Fine redoing Mercury Living Presence, now Giles Martin.

I see you. I'm curious about this project, though. I don't see myself "upgrading" all my Beatles albums.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

The Giles Martin remix of Sgt. Pepper's sounds fantastic. I don't understand the skepticism. Albums have been remastered and remixed before. This isn't anything new and the fact that it's Giles Martin shouldn't deter anyone from keeping an open-mind about these projects. Will they replace the original mono recordings? Not for me, but they are interesting. A new 2018 remix of Pink Floyd's Animals came out not long ago and, while I enjoyed it, it would never replace the original stereo mix, but it can most definitely sit along side of it.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 06, 2022, 11:06:23 AM
I see you. I'm curious about this project, though. I don't see myself "upgrading" all my Beatles albums.

I came to know the Beatles with the red and blue anthology albums on vinyl, which had the stereo versions of everything that was available in stereo, including the early albums with the very odd version of stereo with vocals on one side and the instrumental on the other side. So that seems normal to me. In any case, probably 10 years ago I collected all of the Beatles on CD, and they seem to be the same or similar sources. Probably the mono versions of the early albums would be more authentic. But although I like the Beatles and listen to them in the car, etc, I don't find in myself the urge to hear their albums remixed or enhanced, etc.

But I guess what strikes me is that some progeny of the original producer, who was in diapers when the original recordings were made, doesn't necessarily have any special insight into ow the recordings should be remastered.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 06, 2022, 11:53:57 AMBut I guess what strikes me is that some progeny of the original producer, who was in diapers when the original recordings were made, doesn't necessarily have any special insight into ow the recordings should be remastered.

This is just BS. I'm sorry. Any mastering engineer with a vision of how something should sound has a special insight into the recording techniques and how an album was mastered. Any time an album gets a remastering or a remix, it's a reinterpretation of the original mix. Have you heard any of the newer remixes? Without actually hearing any of them, you don't have a leg to stand on --- it's nothing more than a preconceived notion.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2022, 09:26:13 AM
Very nice, Jeffrey. This is what dad did, too. He's 70 yrs. old and he was obsessed (or so he tells me).
Well, I'm a few years younger than your dad John but I'm sure that I was equally obsessed. My mother even took me to see the Beatles twice in concert (all you heard was screaming).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 06, 2022, 12:30:54 PM
Well, I'm a few years younger than your dad John but I'm sure that I was equally obsessed. My mother even took me to see the Beatles twice in concert (all you heard was screaming).

Yep, my dad saw them live as well and he said the screaming was rather overpowering. Personally, the best concerts I've ever attended were jazz ones.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2022, 12:37:19 PM
Yep, my dad saw them live as well and he said the screaming was rather overpowering. Personally, the best concerts I've ever attended were jazz ones.
One of my favourite Rock concerts in my youth was seeing the group Santana live in London.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 06, 2022, 12:52:26 PM
One of my favourite Rock concerts in my youth was seeing the group Santana live in London.

Oh man, they were a great group. 8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Cool!  When was this Jeffrey?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

I've only attended one rock concert, which was the Kinks in New York, at the Roseland Ballroom, just after their album "State of Confusion" was released. The damage that that concert did to my hearing! Cyndi Lauper opened for them, and was booed mercilessly by the Kinks fans.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

As most members already know, this is a remix, not only remastering. So the guy re-worked from each separate tracks for bass, drums, etc. The remix of Abbey Road, Sgt P., etc. evinces his competency.

DavidW

That is so funny!  I don't see how remastering is in the blood. :laugh:

I love the Beatles but I'm not on board with constant remastering and rereleasing of albums with slightly different sound quality.  I just don't care, life is too short.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on October 07, 2022, 04:50:23 AM
That is so funny!  I don't see how remastering is in the blood. :laugh:

I love the Beatles but I'm not on board with constant remastering and rereleasing of albums with slightly different sound quality.  I just don't care, life is too short.

If the Beatles were my be all and end all I might go for it. But they are mostly a nostalgia thing for me, so I want them to sound familiar.

I have to admit, I did go for the Tom Fine remastered Paul Paray Mercury masters set, mostly for the mono recordings that had never been on CD before. I'd like to know what magic  he's going to do with a one channel tape. :)

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on October 07, 2022, 04:50:23 AM
Yeah, I would love for someone else to listen to them all and tell me which one's the best.  ;D

I did stream a few tracks of the Giles Martin version of "Abbey Road." It bore out all the comments so far in this thread: the bass is noticeably more present, pretty much an equal partner. Maybe I will get used to it after a while but it is a little distracting. Maybe my memory is playing tricks, but I also hear a different spatial differentiation of instruments from left to right; it sounds more like a present-day studio recording. Could have been recorded 10 years ago instead of 53. To be clear, it does sound pretty great. It just sounds...well...newer.

Kinda bears out Spotted Horses' comment. Giles Martin being related to George doesn't give him special insights into what the Beatles wanted. But it does make him good at remixing things.

Daverz

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 06, 2022, 02:38:21 PM
I've only attended one rock concert, which was the Kinks in New York, at the Roseland Ballroom, just after their album "State of Confusion" was released. The damage that that concert did to my hearing! Cyndi Lauper opened for them, and was booed mercilessly by the Kinks fans.

That's sad about the booing of Cyndi Lauper.  I saw the Kinks at the San Diego Sports Arena in 1981.  Yeah, they were really loud.  This was definitely not my favorite Kinks era.  Angel City (just called The Angels in Australia) were the fantastic opening act, and they rocked hard. 

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 06, 2022, 02:38:21 PM
Sounds like a fun evening!

vandermolen