Sunday Evening

Started by Artem, August 14, 2022, 09:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artem

How do you normally spend the end of a Sunday? Is it a dreadful feeling before Monday or just a regular day? Do you have any routine to prepare for the week ahead?

Szykneij

Quote from: Artem on August 14, 2022, 09:01:02 AM
How do you normally spend the end of a Sunday? Is it a dreadful feeling before Monday or just a regular day? Do you have any routine to prepare for the week ahead?

When I was working, I'd make sure I had clothes ready for the week, review my teaching scheduled and planbook, and go to bed early. Now that I'm retired, it's just like any other day. On this particular Sunday evening, I'm listening to a local radio broadcast of the Boston Symphony at Tanglewood featuring Yo Yo Ma playing Elgar's cello concerto.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Spotted Horses

Monday is my favorite day of the week, so late Sunday night there is some giddy anticipation. Friday evening is the most depressing time of the week.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

pjme

I'm retired. Sunday evenings can be nice, or not  ;D
Dutch TV has (between july 24th and august 28th) a very interesting series called "Zomergasten" - "Summer guests", a 3 hour long "ideal TV evening" of carefully chosen  guests: https://www.vpro.nl/programmas/zomergasten.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3eeXBhD7ARIsAHjssr9ZQZru4ce_JQUIEvcNuPWWsk4AcfxUiPZqd29qCKYhkG6Zhv2KUIAaAoMwEALw_wcB
The guests make a personal selection of fragments of films, documentaries, performances, concerts, ....reflecting on history, actuality, psychiatry, art, their own lives...
The evening is rounded off with a film.
It makes (usually) for a most interesting long sunday evening.

SimonNZ

Every second week Sunday is the first day of night shift.

Artem

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 14, 2022, 08:03:50 PM
Monday is my favorite day of the week, so late Sunday night there is some giddy anticipation. Friday evening is the most depressing time of the week.
You don't enjoy weekends? Or just the evening of a Friday?

vandermolen

There's was a fine old Tony Hancock programme focusing, to some extent, on what Sundays were like in my childhood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuZ356fa7AM
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 15, 2022, 08:30:06 AM
There's was a fine old Tony Hancock programme focusing, to some extent, on what Sundays were like in my childhood:

"I thought my mother a bad cook but at least her gravy moved about!" ;D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

LKB

Motile gravy? Hard pass, l think...

Then again, there was my dear aunt who was the gentlest, most good-hearted person imaginable. She introduced me to Schubert's Great C Major Symphony, and loved opera.

But her cooking was, tbh, so removed from any positive characteristic as to be a sort of natural wonder, like the La Brea Tar Pits: dangerous to the ignorant or unwary.  :laugh:
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 15, 2022, 08:30:06 AM

Quote from: Irons on September 01, 2022, 07:14:30 AM
"I thought my mother a bad cook but at least her gravy moved about!" ;D

Quote from: LKB on September 01, 2022, 08:11:56 PM
Motile gravy? Hard pass, l think...

Then again, there was my dear aunt who was the gentlest, most good-hearted person imaginable. She introduced me to Schubert's Great C Major Symphony, and loved opera.

But her cooking was, tbh, so removed from any positive characteristic as to be a sort of natural wonder, like the La Brea Tar Pits: dangerous to the ignorant or unwary.  :laugh:
Am enjoying the radio program.  ;D  And, yes, the gravy comment (and the half a pound of flour) were quite amusing.   Thankfully my mother (who did 99% of the cooking) was a good cook.  Dad helped by cooking (grilling) things like steak and hamburgers.  I did enjoy reading the Sunday newspaper.   :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

I like reading the Sunday newspapers. Usually we'll go out for a walk in the countryside on a Sunday. My wife tends to go to bed earlier than I do so I may have a glass (or two) of red wine and listen to my music or watch the news or read a book or play with the cat. I don't teach on a Monday so lesson preparation can be left until later in the week. When I taught full-time I'd invariably have to do preparation on a Sunday night.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Sundays here have recently returned to being a more reflective and spiritual day than they have been in recent years. I am glad for it. Years ago, Sunday was the busiest and most draining day of my entire week, and although I don't miss that so much, I have valued something of the existential refreshment that I remember as being so restorative. It is a bit more of an oasis than the intervening period, whether out and about with family or friends, or simply with books and music. I am sufficiently far away from retirement to make it feel like it will be a positive thing when I actually do lay down the grinding necessity of Mondays....

Hoping that brisk, autumnal days will pick up some of the love that emerges at this colourful turn of the year. I will miss the summer with the long evenings and warm sunshine, but it has a welcome beauty that is hugely positive.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy