Salutations

Started by Stu, August 16, 2022, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Hello to everyone!

I'm from southside Virginia, 35 years old, an IT professional, working for a university (the greatest benefit of which, outside of job security/insurance, is access to a university library).  Married and raising 3 young'uns.

Since I can remember I've always been a voracious listener of music, eager to learn about styles and genres from different places and time periods.  In my younger days, the focus was more on classic and indie rock/pop/soul/funk.  As I went through my 20s into my 30s, my tastes veered more towards classical music and jazz.

For both classical and jazz, my most consistent area of obsession is American music of the 1920s-1940s.  Naturally then, my two favorite composers/artists are Aaron Copland and Duke Ellington :).  Other classical composers I love include (in no particular order): Walter Piston, John Williams, Ned Rorem, Francis Poulenc, Gershwin, Jerome Moross, Barber, Irving Fine, Lukas Foss, Paul Creston, Ives, Lowell Liebermann, Michael Daugherty, and so many others.

I actually discovered this forum because I noticed that a few views of my Youtube channel of (mostly) score follow-along videos had come from here, so I decided to see what the website was.  My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-gubiEGIbxw9mUxDm8V4mQ

I look to forward to reading about the passions of you all and posting my own!

bhodges

Hi Stu, and welcome! Quite an impressive list of composers there, starting with Copland and Ellington. You'll find many fans of both of those here, as well as the others on your list.

Have fun, and keep up the YouTube posts. I like to follow scores now and then, and many others do, too.

--Bruce

aligreto

You are very welcome to GMG, Stu.
Nice introduction from you. It was interesting to read.
It is great to see you posting already.
I look forward to reading more posts from you in the future.
Enjoy your time here.
:)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Welcome Stu.
Hope you enjoy your time here.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).