Which major composer wrote the least solo piano music?

Started by KevinP, August 17, 2022, 02:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 18, 2022, 11:46:50 AM
There are at least a few of the male chorus works on NFK 50018, maybe more recordings too.

Most helpful, thanks.  ;D ;D ;D

An image, though, is worth 50018 words.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

MusicTurner

Quote from: Florestan on August 18, 2022, 11:48:33 AM
Most helpful, thanks.  ;D ;D ;D

An image, though, is worth 50018 words.  :D

I found better info & revised my post. Am on a mobile.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

MusicTurner

Discogs discography section is getting better and better, also the Kjerulf section.

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 18, 2022, 11:54:49 AM
Discogs discography section is getting better and better, also the Kjerulf section.

His piano music is quite enjoyable. Right up my alley, actually.

I can't remember who recommended it to me a few years ago after I mentioned Tellefsen (incidentally, one of Chopin's closest friends). Was it you? Was it The New Erato? |Was it someone else? Whoever it was, my hat off to him.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Florestan on August 18, 2022, 12:03:23 PM
His piano music is quite enjoyable. Right up my alley, actually.

I can't remember who recommended it to me a few years ago after I mentioned Tellefsen (incidentally, one of Chopin's closest friends). Was it you? Was it The New Erato? |Was it someone else? Whoever it was, my hat off to him.

I heard of him some years ago, and own two piano concertos, I mentioned him briefly a couple of times. But more likely it was New Erato, his countryman, you got it from. As far as I remember, Chopin didn't have many composition pupils besides him, if any. I think I'll revisit the works this weekend.

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 18, 2022, 12:12:51 PM
I heard of him some years ago, and own two piano concertos, I mentioned him briefly a couple of times. But more likely it was New Erato, his countryman, you got it from. As far as I remember, Chopin didn't have many composition pupils besides him, if any. I think I'll revisit the works this weekend.

You mean Tellefsen, right? Kjerulf never studied with Chopin nor wrote any piano concerto afaik.

MusicTurner

Yes, Tellefsen, sorry. I only have little by Kjerulf.

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 18, 2022, 12:29:49 PM
Yes, Tellefsen, sorry. I only have little by Kjerulf.

I have a 3-CD set on Simax:

Here's Jed Distler's review:

Yes, there existed Norwegian piano music before Edvard Grieg. Primarily known for his numerous songs and romances for male choir, Halfdan Kjerulf (1815-1868) wrote about 110 piano pieces during his brief compositional maturity. Their technical demands, emotional parameters, and harmonic ideas are admittedly modest, but there's plenty of charm and local color in the composer's liberal use of Norwegian folk melodies. It's hard not to be captivated by pianist Einar Steen-Nøkleberg's gorgeous tone, flexible technique, and storytelling-like phrasing–all qualities that distinguish his excellent complete Grieg cycle on Naxos and bring Kjerulf's miniatures to uplifting life. Pieces arranged from Norwegian folk dances and traditional tunes particularly benefit from the pianist's lyric simplicity and hearty accentuation. Add Simax's thorough, scholarly annotations and luscious engineering, and you've got a reference Kjerulf piano edition for years to come.

I can let you have the whole stuff. If interested, PM me.

staxomega

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 18, 2022, 03:46:18 AM
Franck's Prelude, Choral & Fugue, but again, the complete works amount to more than one CD.

Listened to a disc of Franck's piano music, wonderful! Especially the Prelude, Choral & Fugue, particularly the second movement was just gorgeous.

Since the thread topic has diverged, I'll throw in Stravinsky for a major composer whose piano work is mostly a listen to it once then never again.

ritter

Quote from: hvbias on August 20, 2022, 03:39:42 AM

Since the thread topic has diverged, I'll throw in Stravinsky for a major composer whose piano work is mostly a listen to it once then never again.
Yes, I'd agree to the idea that Stravinsky's solo piano music is of secondary importance in relation to the rest of his oeuvre, except for --of course-- Trois mouvements de Petrouchka.

vandermolen

May have already been mentioned but Vaughan Williams didn't write much.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

I am not sure if Janacek has already been mentioned. He wrote a modest amount of solo piano music though a lot of it is folk song/dance arrangements.

What is odd, he founded an organ school and was its director for 38 years but he only seems to have have written four solo organ works.

Lisztianwagner

I don't think he has already been mentioned, but Schönberg also didn't compose much solo piano music.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

staxomega

Quote from: ritter on August 20, 2022, 09:53:26 AM
Yes, I'd agree to the idea that Stravinsky's solo piano music is of secondary importance in relation to the rest of his oeuvre, except for --of course-- Trois mouvements de Petrouchka.

I revisited Pollini playing Trois mouvements de Petrouchka, superbly well played, but for me still not of much interest. I realize that Stravinsky didn't intend it to be a transcription of the ballet but I keep wanting to hear the drama, the color, atmosphere of the ballet. I think it would have been more interesting to hear Stravinsky write for piano in his late period, or even something like Three Pieces for String Quartet (IMO a stunning work) which would give us a glimpse into the later more angular Stravinsky.

Scion7

Gluck - whose solo piano work approaches zero, IIRC?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."