Mystery Composer Portrait

Started by Mark, August 31, 2007, 02:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Quote from: Corey on September 01, 2007, 06:28:06 AM
Is 5 Mendelssohn?

Nope. I'll give you a clue: he's Italian, and his first name begins with 'D'.

btpaul674

I have no clue. the only thing I can remotely think of is Alberti.

Szykneij

Guillaume Dufay?

oops  You said first name, not last. My bad.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Mark

Time for more clues, I guess.

The composer whose portrait is No. 5 was a child prodigy, the majority of his works are for piano, and the first version of his largest and best known solo piano work (which lasts about half an hour) was published in 1910.

BachQ

Quote from: Mark on September 01, 2007, 10:43:07 AM
Time for more clues, I guess.

The composer whose portrait is No. 5 was a child prodigy, the majority of his works are for piano, and the first version of his largest and best known solo piano work (which lasts about half an hour) was published in 1910.

Busoni

BachQ

Quote from: Mark on September 01, 2007, 10:43:07 AM
was a child prodigy,

BTW, wasn't EVERY "great" composer a child prodigy?  (except for Elgar)

Maciek

That Busoni was one ugly dude... ;D

Lethevich

Quote from: D Minor on September 01, 2007, 11:04:27 AM
BTW, wasn't EVERY "great" composer a child prodigy?  (except for Elgar)

Berlioz is the only notable one I can think of - he couldn't even play the piano well.

Quote from: Szykniej on September 01, 2007, 09:03:16 AM
Guillaume Dufay?

:D Portraits from Dufay's time tended to look like this:
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mark

Yes, it was Busoni. Well done. ;D

Anyone else want to post a manipulated composer portrait to keep the game going?

lukeottevanger

I'd have siad Busoni based on your biographical clues, but Busoni's first name started with F, didn't it? [Answer - yes] I am confused.  ???

Maciek

It was a false lead. You know, to make things more interesting... >:D

BachQ

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 01, 2007, 11:53:23 AM
I'd have siad Busoni based on your biographical clues, but Busoni's first name started with F, didn't it? [Answer - yes] I am confused.  ???

Dante Michelangelo Benvenuto Ferruccio Busoni

Mark

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 01, 2007, 11:53:23 AM

No, it didn't. His full name was Dante Michelangelo Benvenuto Ferruccio Busoni. Though I admit, I was trying to throw you off the trail with that. ;D

BachQ

Is this the original portrait?  It looks very, very different .........

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Mark on September 01, 2007, 12:01:14 PM
No, it didn't. His full name was Dante Michelangelo Benvenuto Ferruccio Busoni. Though I admit, I was trying to throw you off the trail with that. ;D

Ah, I see you're taking the tired old conventional meaning of the word 'first'..... ;D

Mark

Quote from: D Minor on September 01, 2007, 12:03:02 PM
Is this the original portrait?  It looks very, very different .........

Yep.

Kullervo

Quote from: Lethe on September 01, 2007, 11:14:43 AM
Berlioz is the only notable one I can think of - he couldn't even play the piano well.

No, but he was supposedly very proficient with the Spanish guitar.

Lethevich

Quote from: Corey on September 01, 2007, 12:44:57 PM
No, but he was supposedly very proficient with the Spanish guitar.

Hrm... I had to trawl through the two David Cairns bios and the Mémoires a few weeks ago but don't recall much praising his playing skills (on a technical level) of anything - but I guess I skipped plenty of segments, and wasn't enjoying it as much as casually reading, as I was doing it to try to write a condensed biography...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Kullervo

Quote from: Lethe on September 01, 2007, 01:05:07 PM
Hrm... I had to trawl through the two David Cairns bios and the Mémoires a few weeks ago but don't recall much praising his playing skills (on a technical level) of anything - but I guess I skipped plenty of segments, and wasn't enjoying it as much as casually reading, as I was doing it to try to write a condensed biography...

Charles Rosen's The Romantic Generation mentions it and an essay by Hindemith (I think) says he "mastered" the instrument.