Pergolesi's Purgatory

Started by KevinP, August 23, 2022, 04:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinP

Okay, the title might imply some judgement of some kind, but Palestrina already has a Palace, so it was either this or Porch...

Not a one-hit wonder to me, but close to being perceived as one. I've certainly not heard everything he's done nor even every work represented with a recording, but everything I've heard has been very consistent.

I'm inclined to think his Stabat Mater is so well known mostly because of its first movement, which is indeed exceptional. (Yes, I know I just countered my claim of consistency.) I find the rest of the work typical of Pergolesi, which is to say very good.

Favourite works? Favourite recordings?

JBS

I think someone else already has a Porch, but don't remember who it is.

My Pergolesi is confined to these two:

So: two versions of the Stabat Mater, some arias and sacred works, and a violin concerto, none of which really impressed me. Plus a couple of recordings of Bach's reworking of the Stabat Mater for Lutheran use.
Any suggestions for the operas (not that recordings are very plentiful)?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

KevinP

La Serva Padrona is perhaps his most well-known (perhaps because it's easy to record and/or stage), but rather than a full opera, it was an intermezzo to keep the audience entertained who didn't get up during the intermission of one his serious opera. It's fun and short--two acts but perhaps the length of a one-act work. Three roles and one is non-vocal.