Boston Symphony

Started by vers la flamme, September 02, 2022, 06:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

I love what I've heard, which is not much. Anyone care to recommend me great recordings from this very famous orchestra? Preferably stereo era.

Peter Power Pop

Peter Power Pop

Peter Power Pop

Peter Power Pop

vers la flamme

^That Munch Daphnis looks excellent. I do however have more Daphnis et Chloé recordings than I really need, but... it's definitely on my radar.

I'm always open to hearing Ozawa conducting the Boston. I think he is an excellent conductor, though I understand he was not always highly regarded during his tenure in Boston. Have heard great things about his Ravel, including, I believe, from Madiel here who thought it compared favorably to a bunch of other recordings of Ravel that he was checking out at the time.

JBS

Almost anything conducted by Leinsdorf or Munch.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Colin Davis' Sibelius cycle, originally on Philips.

The Perlman/Ozawa Berg Concerto (coupled with Stravinsky).
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 02, 2022, 07:27:07 PM
^That Munch Daphnis looks excellent. I do however have more Daphnis et Chloé recordings than I really need, but... it's definitely on my radar.

I'm always open to hearing Ozawa conducting the Boston. I think he is an excellent conductor, though I understand he was not always highly regarded during his tenure in Boston. Have heard great things about his Ravel, including, I believe, from Madiel here who thought it compared favorably to a bunch of other recordings of Ravel that he was checking out at the time.

Somebody uploaded the entire Munch Daphnis et Chloé to YouTube, so you can hear for yourself if you need it or not (Hint: You do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbzSYKIqDs

Peter Power Pop

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Jo498

Several of the DG Ozawa recordings were highly regarded in the 70s+80s, also frequently re-issued, Ravel, Respighi etc.
I also like the Midsummer night's dream shown above a lot although it is a shortish disc and not everyone might like the version with a single narrator but I think it is the best compromise for recordings between the suite and extended speaking scenes with actors.

Of older recordings: Munch's Schubert 8 and especially 9, also his Beethoven and Brahms and the violin concertos with Heifetz (Mendelssohn and Beethoven, I think).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

This is a case where I went Big, so I have the giant box sets representing the Complete Munch and also the Nearly Complete Boston recordings for DG (including their chamber music ensemble). The Boston Chamber Players RCA box to be released this fall will probably go in my collection too.

Of the Munch box, particular favorite recordings include the coupling of premiere recordings of Piston and Martinu Sixth Symphonies (both written for the performers; Martinu said his Sixth was written to suit Munch as a conductor and Boston as players so there is an authenticity beyond any Czech recording!), all Berlioz, the Schubert "Great" C Major, Debussy Images, and (in mono) an album of Gian Carlo Menotti. Agreed with Jo on the Heifetz Beethoven too.

My detailed thoughts on BSO on DG can be found here: https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23088.msg1291013/topicseen.html#msg1291013

I have listened to more since writing that. The Ozawa Mahler 1 is my favorite to include Blumine and has other distinctive touches. Ozawa's Ravel is a worthy successor to Munch, really crystal clear, emotionally cool but opulent, a very consistent vision of the composer. I hated the Gubaidulina piece but that is just my taste. The Kubelik Smetana is of course wonderfully played but the recorded sound of the string section was unflatteringly ratty, a rare miss for DG.

Desert island Boston discs:
Martinu 6
the Zarathustra/Planets coupling with Steinberg
Hindemith with Steinberg
Kubelik Bartok
Abbado Debussy/Ravel/Scriabin
Ozawa Fauré

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on September 02, 2022, 07:28:19 PM
Almost anything conducted by Leinsdorf or Munch.

Esp.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

I second recordings with Leinsdorf and Munch.  :)

This is an enjoyable 2-CD set (and available at a modest price via Amazon US); note:  you have to be the sort who can appreciate older/historical records though.  And it's with several different orchestras, so might not be what you are looking for.

Trying to think of what other recordings I might have with him and the BSO?  I should get more!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Boston is one of the Big Five, so it's hard to really pinpoint recordings that stand out since so many do, especially given the conductors the orchestra works with.  A small sampling includes:

Michael Tilson Thomas - Ives/Ruggles/Piston; Tchaikovsky Symphony 1 & Debussy Images

Ozawa - Mahler 3 (one of the very best), most of the rest of his Mahler, and a blob of other recordings

Monteux - Tchaikovsky Symphonies 4-6; Franck Symphony (the best ever) & Stravinksy Petrushka

Munch - I've never systematically listened to this pairing, but he has a 100% hit rate for the recordings I have heard, starting with the greatest ever Mendelssohn VC with Heifetz, a violinist I typically am not a big fan of

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brian on September 03, 2022, 05:08:19 AM
I hated the Gubaidulina piece but that is just my taste.

Thanks for reminding me of it (I assume you mean Offertorium). I happen to like it.

Quote from: Todd on September 03, 2022, 05:47:42 AM
Monteux - [...]Franck Symphony (the best ever)

You sure that's with Boston?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Todd

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 03, 2022, 07:33:28 AMYou sure that's with Boston?

My bad.  The Stravinsky is.  Chicago gets credit for the best ever Franck symphony.

ritter

Quote from: Todd on September 03, 2022, 07:48:45 AM
My bad.  The Stravinsky is.  Chicago gets credit for the best ever Franck symphony.
Thought so. That's the one with the Victory of Samothrace on the cover, isn't i? I must say that I've nevered cared much for Franck's Symphony, but that Monteux recording makes a very strong case for the work. I was really impressed....

Todd

Quote from: ritter on September 03, 2022, 09:02:05 AMThat's the one with the Victory of Samothrace on the cover, isn't it?

Yes.  Monteux's version really is the only one that I want to listen to again.