Sviatoslav Richter

Started by George, August 31, 2007, 05:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 06, 2021, 11:57:56 AM
Supposedly it's the 1958 Melodiya studio recording in the box set that is linked to above ... There's been quite a lot of releases of it, I own a good-sounding Melodiya LP, and a Membran-Intense Media 10CD Richter box (233080) (plus I think it's also the one in my Regis 6CD Richter box, rrc6011, but there it just says 'first released in 1960'). Yet both have perhaps a somewhat less satisfying sound, as far as I remember ... however, that 1958 recording has a good sense of progression as well as a lot of pianistic variation and temper. The Sofia one has rather uneven sound, but also many fans. I just have it on LP. I also have an even earlier recording by Richter, but prefer the 1958.
That Melodiya LP sounds particularly tempting!  I'll scroll up though to also look at that set.  Thank you so much for your comments.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

You're welcome. But just use 1958 as a guiding principle, probably for digital media material, since my LP was a new mint one, bought in Hungary around 1990, I think. Obviously, a good deal of the old Melodiya LPs will probably have some surface noise ... and of course, Sofia might be enough.

The earlier one I have is from Moscow 1952, a 2CD on the Andromeda label andrcd5038, just to complete the info. But not a fan of that one.

EDIT: am listening to the Membran now, sound is actually quite good.

And to clarify: Richter's studio 1958 was actually later in the year, than the 1958 Sofia recital, I read. The linked box set contains a Budapest live 1958 recording.

premont

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 06, 2021, 12:23:41 PM
EDIT: am listening to the Membran now, sound is actually quite good.

Yes, it usually is. Rumors tell, the it's because they have stolen the latest remastering from the original label. I have btw never seen any proof of that.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

staxomega

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 06, 2021, 05:45:35 AM
EDIT:  Any fans here of his Pictures at an Exhibition recording?  :)

Yes indeed I am a big fan of the Sofia recording now on Philips. It's the only Pictures of an Exhibition I like on piano and I've heard Cherkassky, Pogorelich, Brand and others. This needs the full tonal colors and textures of the orchestra to come alive. I think it's mainly from him taking tempos that can't be summed up very easily and even with the audience noise and live setting you can still hear him spin some color into it.

doremi

Hi there
I am new on this Richter site.
I used to be on Yahoo groups many years ago:I guess it closed down.
Lucky me-my first post about my favourite Richter record.
I bought this Philipps LP some 35 years ago-
Richter allowed its edition due to the special atmosphere !!
Regards
G

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: doremi on January 05, 2022, 10:51:27 AM
Hi there
I am new on this Richter site.
I used to be on Yahoo groups many years ago:I guess it closed down.
Lucky me-my first post about my favourite Richter record.
I bought this Philipps LP some 35 years ago-
Richter allowed its edition due to the special atmosphere !!
Regards
G

Nice!  And welcome to the forum!   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Found this long OOP set today in mint condition for only $150!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure