Sviatoslav Richter

Started by George, August 31, 2007, 05:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: sidoze on September 15, 2007, 07:18:09 PM
It's on Japanese Denon only as far as I know. There's an earlier live recording on a rare Alrecchino CD but I haven't heard it (apparently the sound is awful). I'll happily upload the Sofronitsky.

Sounds good! Thanks!  :)

sidoze

Just out of curiosity, have you heard his 2 CD set which was released on BMG/Melodya and later on Living Stage? It contains some Schubert.

George

Quote from: sidoze on September 15, 2007, 07:39:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you heard his 2 CD set which was released on BMG/Melodya and later on Living Stage? It contains some Schubert.

Do you mean Sofronitsky? No, I haven't.

But look what I just ordered:

This one has 4 Richter Schubert Sonatas including the 1958 D 958 from Budapest that you've been raving about!

There's one left on amazon from a 99% rated seller if anyone is interested.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on September 15, 2007, 06:59:51 PM
Great, so that just leaves the Liszt works and Chopin Preludes, Baracarolle, Nocturne, Polonaise Fantasie from the "Authorised Recordings" series.

There is one more teeeensy disc from that edition that isn't one of the volumes per se but which Philips threw in as a feebie for those who sprung for the complete box: a disc of miniatures, including Franck, Liszt, etc...

I wonder if that one is coming down the pipe...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

sidoze

Quote from: George on September 15, 2007, 07:45:48 PM

This one has 4 Richter Schubert Sonatas including the 1958 D 958 from Budapest that you've been raving about!

That's funny. I just checked Amazon and they have the M&A one available for $17.99. Obviously the seller doesn't know the value of it. I tried to buy it but he doesn't ship abroad (lots of US sellers don't :( ) so whoever wants it can grab it.

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Sonata-C-D/dp/B000001OI7/ref=sr_1_121/002-9611250-0630454?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1189914884&sr=1-121

George

Quote from: donwyn on September 15, 2007, 07:54:15 PM
There is one more teeeensy disc from that edition that isn't one of the volumes per se but which Philips threw in as a feebie for those who sprung for the complete box: a disc of miniatures, including Franck, Liszt, etc...

I wonder if that one is coming down the pipe...

It's so GREAT being a Richter fan, always something to look forward to.  8)

George

Quote from: sidoze on September 15, 2007, 07:55:53 PM
That's funny. I just checked Amazon and they have the M&A one available for $17.99. Obviously the seller doesn't know the value of it. I tried to buy it but he doesn't ship abroad (lots of US sellers don't :( ) so whoever wants it can grab it.

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Sonata-C-D/dp/B000001OI7/ref=sr_1_121/002-9611250-0630454?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1189914884&sr=1-121

Since I am unsure which transfer is better (and Richter's Schubert is my very favorite combination of Pianist/Composer) I snatched it up.  8)

George

sidoze

good choice. I wanted to buy it as a (future) present for someone. I could have shipped it to a friend in the US but it wasn't that important. Better you have it, then you can flog the other one on Ebay ;)

the M&A release is quite old though. Living Stage may have improved it, I don't know.

George

Quote from: sidoze on September 15, 2007, 07:59:48 PM
good choice. I wanted to buy it as a (future) present for someone. I could have shipped it to a friend in the US but it wasn't that important. Better you have it, then you can flog the other one on Ebay ;)

Nah, I'm a Richter-Hoarder.  8)

sidoze

Quote from: George on September 15, 2007, 07:56:10 PM
It's so GREAT being a Richter fan, always something to look forward to.  8)

yeah, that's the thing about Richter, he teaches you the famous saying: "Money talks, but mine only knows how to say goodbye". All those recordings of the same repertoire from different venues, different years, and then the bootlegs and radio stuff, if anything it'll end with burn out before the actual recordings end! :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on September 15, 2007, 07:45:48 PM

George,

That looks interesting. What label is it? Do you have a link?

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: sidoze on September 15, 2007, 08:07:10 PM
yeah, that's the thing about Richter, he teaches you the famous saying: "Money talks, but mine only knows how to say goodbye". All those recordings of the same repertoire from different venues, different years, and then the bootlegs and radio stuff, if anything it'll end with burn out before the actual recordings end! :)

Ha! I wonder if the recorded medium could ever keep up with Richter's voracious appetite...? ;D

Dancing Divertimentian

sidoze

not edward

I'll add to the thanks here. Very different from your typical D960, and I like it.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

not edward

Quote from: George on September 15, 2007, 08:14:28 PM
Living Stage.

Btw, I have a Living Stage 2CD set including Richter's Moscow '56 D845 and D850 (+ a disc of Schumann) which isn't on Trovar. I wonder what the story is with that.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

George

Quote from: edward on September 17, 2007, 01:40:06 PM
Btw, I have a Living Stage 2CD set including Richter's Moscow '56 D845 and D850 (+ a disc of Schumann) which isn't on Trovar. I wonder what the story is with that.

Hmmm. Does it have the same performances or at least performances that are listed on Trovar on another label?