Sviatoslav Richter

Started by George, August 31, 2007, 05:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

There is another? D 894 with Richter in a Brilliant box, also very slow (he seems even slower in this sonata than in D 960). Although I have never compared them the Brilliant box is also worth having.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

George

Quote from: Jo498 on September 19, 2019, 03:46:15 AM
There is another? D 894 with Richter in a Brilliant box, also very slow (he seems even slower in this sonata than in D 960). Although I have never compared them the Brilliant box is also worth having.

The Brilliant is nice, but the Philips has much better sound quality. It was recorded in 1989, eleven years after the Brilliant performance.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mandryka

I have two,possibly the same, the authorised version and from an unpublished recording in Bologna in 1989 with some Webern, Syzmanowski, Bartok and Hindemith. Interesting programming there.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2019, 10:18:56 AM
I have two,possibly the same, the authorised version and from an unpublished recording in Bologna in 1989 with some Webern, Syzmanowski, Bartok and Hindemith. Interesting programming there.

The Authorised was recorded in London in 1989.

staxomega

Quote from: Pat B on February 26, 2019, 08:15:20 AM
From looking over the Beethoven set (the first one I found on Presto), some of the recordings have been released on Philips and Melodiya, but there's also some stuff that was otherwise only on less-familiar labels or not at all — some from very early in his career. I'm only part way through that set.

ETA: Profil is a reputable label, but I can't help but wonder about some of these dates.

Quote from: Pat B on February 26, 2019, 04:31:34 PM
archive.org has it.

There is also a newer discography here (a link on that page goes to the google doc).

Thank you, I did end up buying the Schumann/Brahms set, after comparing several of the performances to the various live releases I have I believe that Profil's dates might be accurate since there are several performances that are unique and do not match up with what I have (my collection is very far from complete, I avoid certain labels). I ended up purchasing the others. If I have time I'll compile a list of everything that is unique.

George

Now enjoying this SHM SACD set. I bought it months ago, but the excessive tape hiss and the flat, cold sound turned me off of it. Giving it another try today, I have to say the clarity is stunning. I have to turn the volume way up, as it was transferred at a low level.

Mandryka

What is the best recording for sound and performance of him playing the complete Debussy Preludes Bk 2?

George

Quote from: Mandryka on April 11, 2021, 11:24:32 AM
What is the best recording for sound and performance of him playing the complete Debussy Preludes Bk 2?

NOt sure if these are all complete, but if so, it's gotta be one of these:

16/6/67 - Aldeburgh - Live - BBC BBCL 4021-2 (2CD)**
14/7/67 - Spoleto - Live - TURNABOUT TV-S 34360 (LP)**
26/8/67 - Budapest - Live - PYRAMID 13507 (CD)**
17/3/68 - Prague - Live - AS disc AS 340 (CD)**

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on April 11, 2021, 11:24:32 AM

Spoleto is well worth hearing

Can't speak for any others.

Mandryka

I'd kind of forgotten why I used to like Richter so much. Then by chance I got out the Beethoven op 2/3 here in this, from 1960 - it is amazing. (And much better than the Prague performance from 1975) He really has the strength of a lion.

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on December 05, 2021, 12:47:00 PM
I'd kind of forgotten why I used to like Richter so much. Then by chance I got out the Beethoven op 2/3 here in this, from 1960 - it is amazing. (And much better than the Prague performance from 1975) He really has the strength of a lion.

Howard, as a huge Richter fan I'm interested in this. What's the label and where was the Op2/3 performance played. I can't find it on Qobuz but will check Spotify
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on December 05, 2021, 03:45:11 PM
Howard, as a huge Richter fan I'm interested in this. What's the label and where was the Op2/3 performance played. I can't find it on Qobuz but will check Spotify

Hi Holden,

The label is Music & Arts. It's on this OOP 4CD set: https://www.discogs.com/release/13680207-Sviatoslav-Richter-Concert-Performances-and-Broadcasts-1958-1976

Mandryka

I can't see an online discography, I'm pretty sure the performance is from the 1960s. PM me if you want the set.

Selig

According to the back cover they're both from 1975! I wonder how different they can be.

There are at least four Op 2/3s from that year then: Moscow, Prague, Blythburgh, London.

Mandryka

Quote from: Selig on December 06, 2021, 12:07:48 AM
According to the back cover they're both from 1975! I wonder how different they can be.

There are at least four Op 2/3s from that year then: Moscow, Prague, Blythburgh, London.

The Music and Arts is much more exciting, this may well be a question of sound - the Prague is better engineered but the perspective on the M&A is close, which is thrilling. But there is something more than that going on maybe - the durations are different, the M&A is 10 seconds longer than the Prague in the first movement.

If you listen to both I'd be interested to know what yon think.

Ras

Then by chance I got out the Beethoven op 2/3 here in this, from 1960 - it is amazing.

Be careful with Beethoven, Mandryka - you may want to invade Poland or end up in a kind of hospital where all the other inmates also think they are Napoleon!!!  :laugh:
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Holden on December 05, 2021, 03:45:11 PM
Neat!  I'll have to keep an eye out for that set.  Love Richter!

As an aside, I was delighted to run across a bunch of LPs of his several months ago.  Alas, the oldest of them (forget what it was now) was below my standards condition-wise, so had to pass on it; in the end I brought home two of them:  a Bartok/Prokofiev one and a Schubert one.  I have some other ones too (mostly on DG).

PD

EDIT:  Any fans here of his Pictures at an Exhibition recording?  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 06, 2021, 05:45:35 AM
Neat!  I'll have to keep an eye out for that set.  Love Richter!

As an aside, I was delighted to run across a bunch of LPs of his several months ago.  Alas, the oldest of them (forget what it was now) was below my standards condition-wise, so had to pass on it; in the end I brought home two of them:  a Bartok/Prokofiev one and a Schubert one.  I have some other ones too (mostly on DG).

PD

EDIT:  Any fans here of his Pictures at an Exhibition recording?  :)

Yes, especially that 1958 Pictures ... actually, though the later Sofia live recording is more famous and well-known (don't know this transfer).

EDIT: It's a Budapest 1958 live one in that linked CD box.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 06, 2021, 11:09:40 AM
Yes, especially that 1958 Pictures ... actually, though the later Sofia live recording is more famous and well-known (don't know this transfer).
All I've heard is the live recording (have it on CD.  The sound isn't great, but the playing made my jaw drop  :) ).  Which is the recording that you were referring to MT?  Would you be so kind as to provide some details and/or images?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Supposedly it's the 1958 Melodiya studio recording in the box set that is linked to above ... There's been quite a lot of releases of it, I own a good-sounding Melodiya LP, and a Membran-Intense Media 10CD Richter box (233080) (plus I think it's also the one in my Regis 6CD Richter box, rrc6011, but there it just says 'first released in 1960'). Yet both have perhaps a somewhat less satisfying sound, as far as I remember ... however, that 1958 recording has a good sense of progression as well as a lot of pianistic variation and temper. The Sofia one has rather uneven sound, but also many fans. I just have it on LP. I also have an even earlier recording by Richter, but prefer the 1958.

EDIT: it's a Budapest live 1958 one in the linked box set.