Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth II has died  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Re: Queen Elizabeth II has died
« Reply #240 on: September 22, 2022, 12:08:29 PM »
Yes PD, the bagpipes, with the piper then walking away, really did it for me.
I gather that it was the same man who played outside the Queen's window at Windsor early in the morning whenever HM was in residence. He played for 15 minutes and then after a short break (like a 'snooze' function) played for another 15 minutes.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/19/uk/queen-piper-funeral-westminster-gbr-intl-scli/index.html#:~:text=Among%20the%20thousands%20of%20tributes,piper%20between%202015%20and%202019.
I knew that she was awoken by the pipes every morning, and that he played for 15 minutes, but hadn't heard about the "snooze button".  ;D :D

PD

Offline pjme

• Veteran member
« Reply #241 on: September 22, 2022, 12:27:13 PM »
Do you mean Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle?
 :)

:-[ :-[ :-[

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #242 on: September 22, 2022, 12:30:56 PM »
I knew that she was awoken by the pipes every morning, and that he played for 15 minutes, but hadn't heard about the "snooze button".  ;D :D

PD
One account mentioned that PD but not others, although I like to think that it's true.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2022, 12:05:26 AM »
Yes Lol, it's the dispiriting hypocrisy which stands out most. They strike me as a rather shallow and vacuous pair. As you rightly say, the mask has slipped revealing a less than pleasant reality. Their spurious denials - a reflection of Johnsonian excuses.

I enjoyed the Domino Pizza tweet (below):
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/sep/22/can-phillip-schofield-and-holly-willoughby-recover-from-queens-queue-fallout

The parallel with Johnson and "partygate" is a good one, Jeffrey.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2022, 12:09:52 AM »
I found this bit of fake news hilarious (but then I have a very, very low opinion on the affected person)

https://twitter.com/miss_snuffy/status/1569042231750787073

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:16:51 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« …tout cela qui prend forme et solidité, est sorti, ville et jardins, de ma tasse de thé. »

• Veteran member
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2022, 06:56:52 AM »
I found this bit of fake news hilarious (but then I have a very, very low opinion on the affected person)

https://twitter.com/miss_snuffy/status/1569042231750787073
Who is Dan Wooton?

PD

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2022, 10:38:21 AM »
Who is Dan Wooton?

PD
He’s a UK based journalist from New Zealand, PD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Wootton

He works for a relatively new UK TV news network, GB News, so far to the right that next to it, Fox News would appear like the mouthpiece of international Anarco-Communism.  ;D

As usual with this type of characters, some of the issues he raises can be worthy of consideration and reflection, but his constant recourse to spurious arguments, logical fallacies, and ad hominem attacks invalidates his whole discourse IMHO. I watched him several nights in the UK this summer (I didn’t have much choice), and he comes through as a thoroughly unpleasant chap, but seems to hold a certain fascination for some. He really got on my nerves!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 10:56:24 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« …tout cela qui prend forme et solidité, est sorti, ville et jardins, de ma tasse de thé. »

• Veteran member
« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2022, 11:34:43 AM »
He’s a UK based journalist from New Zealand, PD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Wootton

He works for a relatively new UK TV news network, GB News, so far to the right that next to it, Fox News would appear like the mouthpiece of international Anarco-Communism.  ;D

As usual with this type of characters, some of the issues he raises can be worthy of consideration and reflection, but his constant recourse to spurious arguments, logical fallacies, and ad hominem attacks invalidates his whole discourse IMHO. I watched him several nights in the UK this summer (I didn’t have much choice), and he comes through as a thoroughly unpleasant chap, but seems to hold a certain fascination for some. He really got on my nerves!
Thanks for the info.

PD

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2022, 10:55:40 PM »
That's true and it's not very logical in the 21st Century to retain a monarchy but it is very much part of who we are and connected with history and national identity. It may not survive in the long-term after the death of the Queen although, speaking personally, I hope that it does (and I am not a particular Royalist).

Sorry for being so late. I cannot help but wonder if the monarchy theatre is just a front by now.
Yes, a lot of people were saying they liked the Queen so much (often saying emotional things about their own mom, too) but a lot of the traditional English of British values have been wiped out in the past fifty years and QE2 was obviously unable to stop this.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: September 24, 2022, 05:55:45 AM »
Sorry for being so late. I cannot help but wonder if the monarchy theatre is just a front by now.
Yes, a lot of people were saying they liked the Queen so much (often saying emotional things about their own mom, too) but a lot of the traditional English of British values have been wiped out in the past fifty years and QE2 was obviously unable to stop this.

She was a living memory of what once was, of an Empire that is long gone.

Her passing might be a wake up call for many that their country has to move forward in(to) the 21st century.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #250 on: September 24, 2022, 06:49:24 AM »
She was a living memory of what once was, of an Empire that is long gone.

Her passing might be a wake up call for many that their country has to move forward in(to) the 21st century.

And do what?
"In religion, philosophy and morality, obedience; in art and literature, independence." - Ricardo Viñes

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: September 24, 2022, 06:57:11 AM »
And do what?

Wake up and adapt, which is quite difficult if you live in an alternatively reality rooted in the past.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 06:59:19 AM by Que »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2022, 07:11:47 AM »
"In religion, philosophy and morality, obedience; in art and literature, independence." - Ricardo Viñes

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2022, 11:58:42 AM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:14:44 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2022, 01:59:14 PM »
An early music friend posted this to Facebook:

When David Munrow performed at Windsor Castle with the Early Music Consort, the queen was intrigued by his crumhorn.
Munrow told her that Henry VIII owned 18 of them. The queen: 'Well Henry always did do things rather to excess'.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #255 on: September 24, 2022, 10:17:08 PM »
An early music friend posted this to Facebook:

When David Munrow performed at Windsor Castle with the Early Music Consort, the queen was intrigued by his crumhorn.
Munrow told her that Henry VIII owned 18 of them. The queen: 'Well Henry always did do things rather to excess'.
Very nice!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #256 on: September 27, 2022, 04:51:46 AM »
One of the new commemorative stamps:

• Veteran member
« Reply #257 on: September 27, 2022, 05:43:52 AM »
One of the new commemorative stamps:

Oh, nice!

The other day, I did some googling because I saw a photo of her when she had just started her reign which I thought was gorgeous.  It turns out that it was taken by the professional photographer Dorothy Wilding.  There's info about Wilding (and more photos by her) at the National Portrait Gallery.

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #258 on: September 27, 2022, 05:55:43 AM »
Oh, nice!

The other day, I did some googling because I saw a photo of her when she had just started her reign which I thought was gorgeous.  It turns out that it was taken by the professional photographer Dorothy Wilding.  There's info about Wilding (and more photos by her) at the National Portrait Gallery.

PD
Very nice PD.

• Veteran member
« Reply #259 on: September 27, 2022, 06:01:17 AM »
Very nice PD.
I love how she was lit, that it's a side portrait and the extreme blackness of the background.  Would love to know how she came up with that.  Wish that I could take better photos.  :(

PD