Queen Elizabeth II has died

Started by vandermolen, September 08, 2022, 04:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on October 25, 2022, 11:55:57 PM
Before this thread disappears, I thought that I'd post this, which I found quite endearing.
Here is the Royal Piper waking up King Charles (I wrote 'Prince' initially) for the first time at Clarence House. He is the same piper who played at the late Queen's funeral. Not sure if it will play outside the UK:
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-10-25/king-charles-woken-by-bagpipe-alarm-clock-just-like-the-queen

I played it too. Very moving. Queens and kings come and go, the piper stays.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on October 26, 2022, 08:18:47 AM
I played it too. Very moving. Queens and kings come and go, the piper stays.  :D
I found it very moving as well Andrei :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Nice to read that King Charles kept the same piper...rather bittersweet.   :'(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 26, 2022, 01:52:09 PM
Nice to read that King Charles kept the same piper...rather bittersweet.   :'(

PD
As an animal lover PD, I suspect that you'll be pleased to hear that it is reported (in my 'Times Souvenir Guide') that the royal corgis (Muic and Sandy) were in attendance with HM during her final hours.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 29, 2022, 03:25:37 AM
As an animal lover PD, I suspect that you'll be pleased to hear that it is reported (in my 'Times Souvenir Guide') that the royal corgis (Muic and Sandy) were in attendance with HM during her final hours.
I hadn't thought about it before now, but I would have been surprised if they weren't.   :(  Still, good to hear it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Painting of HM Lying-In-State by her last artist in residence: