Queen Elizabeth II has died

Started by vandermolen, September 08, 2022, 04:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Just heard the news too, I'm very sorry; she was a strong and charismatic figure, and a great point of reference for the United Kingdom.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Spotted Horses

She lived a long life. I assume citizens of the UK find it unsettling that there is no one of her caliber to succeed her in the Royal Family.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

I think Charles could be a decent, if not particularly great, king.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

My condolences to all our friends in the UK.

R.I.P. Queen Elizabeth II. The end of an era...

SimonNZ

I hope Charles chooses to be a more aggressive advocate for his pet causes and beliefs.

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 08, 2022, 11:12:10 AM
I hope Charles chooses to be a more aggressive advocate for his pet causes and beliefs.

Well, he owns a real estate in the Romanian province of Transylvania which is very dear to him and is an enthusiastical supporter and promoter of Romanian wildlife and traditions, so I hope it too.   8)

As a related oddity, in some Romanian monarchist circles the idea has been vehiculated, that if opportunity arised he could even be proclaimed King of Romania as well, thus linking Romania and the UK by a personal union. Pure fantasy, of course, but one that I would not mind at all seeing come true.  ;)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 08, 2022, 11:12:10 AM

You mean his biscuit empire?

They're not bad, actually.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SimonNZ

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 08, 2022, 12:50:40 PM
You mean his biscuit empire?

They're not bad, actually.

I was about to reply perhaps not his town planning like Poundbury, but actually I think that's a pretty great thing for a monarch to be doing. Plus I've never been to Poundbury and might well feel I could live there happily.

Brian

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 08, 2022, 02:28:53 PM
I was about to reply perhaps not his town planning like Poundbury, but actually I think that's a pretty great thing for a monarch to be doing. Plus I've never been to Poundberry and might well feel I could live there happily.
You can browse through it on Google Street View. Here's a central bit of town. Looks nice although I don't understand where the sidewalks are supposed to be since cars are parked in them.

He's also written one or two booklet notes for Chandos (I read one about Hubert Parry) and is/was a bigtime advocate in the UK's farm to table, fresh produce, and modern British food movements. Those have been transformative for the experience of eating there.

relm1

This makes me sad even though she lived a very long and extremely full life.  It's just hard to conceptualize the loss of someone who was always present.  This is the first day of my life where she's not there.  RIP.

Brian

Quote from: relm1 on September 08, 2022, 04:34:47 PM
This makes me sad even though she lived a very long and extremely full life.  It's just hard to conceptualize the loss of someone who was always present.  This is the first day of my life where she's not there.  RIP.
This is the first day of the mainstream stereo era of music recording where she was not Queen.

Some classical works premiered during her reign:

Walton's Orb and Sceptre (written for her coronation, the last such work any composer has had to write!)
Vaughan Williams' Symphonies 7, 8, and 9
Walton's Symphony No. 2 and Cello Concerto
Britten's Turn of the Screw, Gloriana, Midsummer Night's Dream, and War Requiem
Tippett's Midsummer Marriage, Corelli Fantasia, and Piano Concerto
Bliss's Violin and Cello Concertos and Meditations on a Theme by John Blow

When she became queen, Colin Davis was 24, Peter Maxwell Davies was 17, James Galway was 12.

By the way, the current master of the queen's music is Judith Weir, but her job description reportedly no longer involves composing music for occasions, just education, outreach, and advocacy.

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on September 08, 2022, 05:39:26 PM
This is the first day of the mainstream stereo era of music recording where she was not Queen.

Some classical works premiered during her reign:

Walton's Orb and Sceptre (written for her coronation, the last such work any composer has had to write!)
Vaughan Williams' Symphonies 7, 8, and 9
Walton's Symphony No. 2 and Cello Concerto
Britten's Turn of the Screw, Gloriana, Midsummer Night's Dream, and War Requiem
Tippett's Midsummer Marriage, Corelli Fantasia, and Piano Concerto
Bliss's Violin and Cello Concertos and Meditations on a Theme by John Blow

When she became queen, Colin Davis was 24, Peter Maxwell Davies was 17, James Galway was 12.

By the way, the current master of the queen's music is Judith Weir, but her job description reportedly no longer involves composing music for occasions, just education, outreach, and advocacy.
Interesting - thanks

vandermolen

SimonNZ

There's a disconnect between the way the reporting say people remember the queen and what they saw as her significance and what I hear from her admirers irl and online.

I have heard zero real people say they rhought oh her as an island of stability in an ever changing world.

krummholz

Quote from: relm1 on September 08, 2022, 04:34:47 PM

Ditto here... she took the throne just a handful of years before I was born. RIP.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on September 09, 2022, 02:40:01 AM
Ditto here... she took the throne just a handful of years before I was born. RIP.
Same sentiments here.  RIP.

I'm watching some of the tributes online:  there's currently a number of "Death Gun Salutes" going on (96 rounds of cannon fire in a number of places around the UK).  It's being broadcast live on the BBC's website.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Just got a very silly email from Europadisc. In tribute to the Queen, they are not sending out their usual Friday promotional email...but all their Friday promotions are still available and ready if you click through to their website.

So they still have promotions...and they still sent an email...their tribute to the Queen is just to not put the link in the email  ;D