Yevgeny Mravinsky, Leningrad Philharmonic

Started by vers la flamme, September 09, 2022, 03:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

I currently can't get over how good this recording is:

... did Mravinsky make any other recordings in anywhere near as good of sound? If so, please post them here, because I must hear them.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 09, 2022, 03:51:54 PM

... did Mravinsky make any other recordings in anywhere near as good of sound? If so, please post them here, because I must hear them.

From memory these were recorded for DG when the Leningrad PO was on a European tour so they were made in London is some unlikely venue up near Wembley (I think!)  There are also the 3 late symphonies played by the same orchestra shared between Mravinsky and Sanderling - again from memory they are mono but similarly fine.  I was given the set you've been listening to on LP for a birthday present

and was equally blown away.  To answer your question there is a LOT of live Mravinsky and Melodiya sourced material too but both of those usally come with a degree of sonic compromise. 

MusicTurner

Quite a lot of the later recordings have good sound (whereas the early don't, and some early live recordings are also musically messy).
Obvious candidates with good sound and extremely fine musicianship are
- Bartok, Music for Strings .... and
- Hindemith, Sinfonie, Harmonie der Welt

Denon chose a set of recordings for their hi-end audio LPs (and later CDs) back in the 80s. Some were recordings from Vienna, such as Brahms, as I recall it. Others, like Shostakovich, have mixed quality. Erato also released some in good sound on CD, but as far as I remember, the sound quality is more varying there.

Irons

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 10, 2022, 06:10:00 AM
From memory these were recorded for DG when the Leningrad PO was on a European tour so they were made in London is some unlikely venue up near Wembley (I think!)  There are also the 3 late symphonies played by the same orchestra shared between Mravinsky and Sanderling - again from memory they are mono but similarly fine.  I was given the set you've been listening to on LP for a birthday present

and was equally blown away.  To answer your question there is a LOT of live Mravinsky and Melodiya sourced material too but both of those usally come with a degree of sonic compromise.

Your memory is likely better then mine but I thought the first set mono (best) and the second stereo. I haven't checked so probably mistaken.

Mravinsky detested recording studios, so yes most live and sonics are compromised. Sometimes, the Shostakovich "Leningrad" Symphony for example, the performance is so great that sound is of minor consideration. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Elk

This performance of the 4th is even more exciting than Mravinsky's DGG ones IMHO:

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 09, 2022, 03:51:54 PM

I remember enjoying this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlDFdo3BXvo&ab_channel=TheDennisMarksArchive

He was good in Brahms and Schubert and Sibelius too. And lots of Russians obvs.

I think, but I'm not sure, he was the same ilk as Furtwangler -- some sort of quasi Schenkerian analysis leading to big big phrases. I think I got that from a BBC programme about him.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen