Your favorite mono recordings

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, September 11, 2022, 08:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on September 21, 2022, 02:18:59 AM
How about Sofronitsky's 1949 Chopin barcarolle?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5H1gJwp8LvU

Superb performance!
I was thinking about mentioning the box below. Great performance while the recording sound is a typical Soviet quality.

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on September 21, 2022, 07:11:57 AM
I don't remember which cantatas and what CD that was; probably some grey issue, dubbed from LPs. Sound was not as good but that was not the main problem, more that the style worked in the more dramatic passions but not really in the cantatas.

I have not heard the mono recording of the Mozart Requiem but the stereo is also one of my favorite (good soloists, rather mediocre choir, unfortunately), admittedly the Mozart Requiem is not such a favorite of mine (except for the Introitus and Kyrie). I also have the 7 last words (this was an MCA twofer with the Mozart Requiem in the early 1990s or so) but it's been too long I listened to it (I prefer the piece in the orchestral or quartet version anyway).

I think that what happens for me in the Matthew Passion is that the old fashioned style is totally repellant for a lot of the time, but there are many long moments where the thing kind of really takes off, and the music making is so incandescent that I forgive and forget the way they're projecting their voices, the vibrato etc etc. Like in Mengelberg's Bach!

I didn't know he did two Mozart requiems - now I'm not sure which one I have. I'll check soon. Who knows? I may even start to like it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 21, 2022, 07:37:57 AM
Superb performance!
I was thinking about mentioning the box below. Great performance while the recording sound is a typical Soviet quality.

Does this have all the 1949 Chopin material? It was the centenary of Chopin's death and Sofro gave some really special concerts. There's some mazurkas, some nocturnes, the barcarolle, some waltzes, all of the op 28 preludes  and lots of other things.

Mandryka

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 18, 2022, 02:55:37 PM
Yes they are great. I didn't know his mono-era recordings. I think the recording below (compilation?) is a killer. Warm and hip recording sound!

I must confess that I haven't listen to Segovia much because he was a pro-Nationalist/Franco during the Civil War.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on September 21, 2022, 08:14:31 AM
Does this have all the 1949 Chopin material? It was the centenary of Chopin's death and Sofro gave some really special concerts. There's some mazurkas, some nocturnes, the barcarolle, some waltzes, all of the op 28 preludes  and lots of other things.

Sorry, I don't know. The below are links to a discography and a review.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1448388-Vladimir-Sofronitzky-Scriabin-Chopin-Rachmaninoff-Schumann-Liszt-Historical-Russian-Archives-Vladimi

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/June09/Sofronitzky_brilliant8975.htm

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 21, 2022, 09:33:30 AM
I must confess that I haven't listen to Segovia much because he was a pro-Nationalist/Franco during the Civil War.

I wish you hadn't told me that, because I've been really enjoying that Tarrega and Albeniz CD.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on September 21, 2022, 01:24:15 PM
I wish you hadn't told me that, because I've been really enjoying that Tarrega and Albeniz CD.

My friend said the same thing at a sushi restaurant when I told him that what he was eating was eel.

Mandryka

Recorded in mono in 1993.

(IMO the performance is not totally without interest because it is a sort of purification, simplification,zen-ification, of the music.)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mandryka

Harold Samuel plays a lot of Bach, and it is worth a listen. If you're like me you'll be sucked in.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0zKLADzxXA26sK0fHcgVhq

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Visionary performance. Especially I like the slightly decadent and funky feel of the Albeniz and Granados.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on September 28, 2022, 11:29:51 AMHarold Samuel plays a lot of Bach, and it is worth a listen. If you're like me you'll be sucked in.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0zKLADzxXA26sK0fHcgVhq

Yes rather vibrant and colorful music.

vandermolen

Shostakovich Symphony 10 (NYPO/Mitropolous)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2022, 06:59:53 AMShostakovich Symphony 10 (NYPO/Mitropolous)

Certainly I will check it out!

Roy Bland

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 06, 2022, 07:48:21 AMCertainly I will check it out!
It's terrific Manabu - a uniquely intense performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2022, 06:59:53 AMShostakovich Symphony 10 (NYPO/Mitropolous)

Very powerful and sharp performance. It doesn't sound like mono. It sounds like stereo. Is it because of the ferocity of performance?

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 07, 2022, 12:06:16 PMVery powerful and sharp performance. It doesn't sound like mono. It sounds like stereo. Is it because of the ferocity of performance?

Yes, I think that it's very special - a blistering account.