Cruelty against Animals

Started by Florestan, August 15, 2022, 10:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mandryka on August 18, 2022, 10:14:07 AM
According to Shakespeare, God is as cruel to us as we are to animals:

As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods,
They kill us for their sport.

(Lear 4.4.32)

True.

One is then tempted to bring in the subject of artificially produced meat, that is now being developed in some countries, and will likely take over parts of the market; some suggest relatively soon. It would make some of the ethical problems with meat production go away, and open up a field of new human creativity as regards design, taste, texture etc.

Example: https://goodmeat.co/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem&utm_campaign=gdmt&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxveXBhDDARIsAI0Q0x1GjYuGkGxe0Qkibg6aSyA9NVBYrIKG13kHnEd12QpZHznsqN72XvYaAq1UEALw_wcB

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 18, 2022, 10:26:02 AM
True.

One is then tempted to bring in the subject of artificially produced meat, that is now being developed in some countries, and will likely take over parts of the market; some suggest relatively soon. It would make some of the ethical problems with meat production go away, and open up a field of new human creativity as regards design, taste, texture etc.

Example: https://goodmeat.co/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem&utm_campaign=gdmt&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxveXBhDDARIsAI0Q0x1GjYuGkGxe0Qkibg6aSyA9NVBYrIKG13kHnEd12QpZHznsqN72XvYaAq1UEALw_wcB
Interesting!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 18, 2022, 10:26:02 AM
True.

It would follow animals would go away too. Pigs are bred to eat. With pork off the menu would pigs be off too?
To counter that we consume far too much meat. Putting ethical reasons aside, the less meat I eat the better I feel.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

geralmar

YouTube is awash in "uplifting" animal rescue videos, usually featuring a stranded, starving, or injured cat or dog that is taken in and nursed back to glowing health and tail wagging happiness.  Unfortunately, a distressing number of the videos are frauds:  The "good Samaritans" filming the rescue actually stranded, starved, or injured the animal in the first place.  The incentive is "monetization", although I admit I don't know how that works. (I also admit I've fallen for some stories even while puzzled at the circumstances of the distress and rescue).  YouTube claims it has started policing the videos.