Author Topic: Satie as an Artist  (Read 317 times)

Offline nakulanb

Satie as an Artist
« on: September 17, 2022, 04:49:27 PM »
 :)

I love this composer's music so much.  Why is it such that his music is the only, other than mine, that makes me feel like a painting has been created?

That's what I have been searching for in music.  I'm not looking for more suggestions of music I'd like, just reasons why I enjoy his so much, especially Roge's takes.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 04:51:04 PM by nakulanb »

Offline pjme

• Veteran member
Re: Satie as an Artist
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 12:34:17 AM »
Possibly a case of synesthesia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 12:46:47 AM »
Maybe because paintings are also often inoffensive background "furniture" and a goal of Satie supposedly was also inoffensive background music (ameublement).
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline nakulanb

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 01:28:52 AM »
Good answers so far!

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
  • Tony from Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 06:31:29 AM »
Maybe because paintings are also often inoffensive background "furniture" and a goal of Satie supposedly was also inoffensive background music (ameublement).

Interesting. While I agree Satie's music is certainly inoffensive, I find it very affective (as the o.p. apparently does). In fact, his music captures my attention moreso than many other composers. Perhaps, even though Satie himself coined the musique d'ameublement term, he understood the need to create pieces that were still musically interesting (at least) to the performer. Of course, I'm somewhat biased as Satie, Debussy, and Ravel are among my favorites.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 06:56:40 AM »
 He didn’t aspire generally to writing furniture music. I don’t experience his music generally in that way, I don’t find it inoffensive, on the contrary, I find much of it utterly disorienting.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 06:58:47 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 06:59:58 AM »
Paintings are more or less flat.
Some of Satie’s music is flat too. There is not much counterpoint. It’s quite often monophonic, more or less.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 07:04:27 AM by Mandryka »

Offline nakulanb

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 04:15:29 PM »
I believe everything is art in that all expresses an idea or an emotion. My favorite artforms are paintings (Gogh's Post-Impressionism), music (Satie's Piano Music), film (Burton's Alice in Wonderland) & novels (Shelley's Frankenstein).

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 10:42:29 AM by nakulanb »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 06:19:09 PM »
I believe everything is art in that all expresses an idea or an emotion. My favorite artforms are paintings (Pollock's Blue Poles), music (Satie's piano music), film (I'm not sure yet) & novels (Shelley's Frankenstein).

I think something they all have in common is that they all have a strong sense of individualistic style, it's appropriate and engaging for all ages, elegance in feel & dark themes that remain inoffensive.  That is what I consider art.

No one will deny it’s art. But you said at first that you thought it was like a painting had been created. That Satie’s music is painterly.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 10:19:30 PM »
Actual furniture can be beautiful and not just in the background and home decoration elements like curtains are mostly there for beauty.
FWIW I find Satie totally boring and detached, probably the least engaging semi-major composer I can think of.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline nakulanb

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 10:42:52 PM »
No one will deny it’s art. But you said at first that you thought it was like a painting had been created. That Satie’s music is painterly.

And my point is, I think anyone can find any piece/song to be like a painting if they resonate with it and have a big enough imagination.  They must also have an interest in such ways of enjoying music.

I resonate with the above listed arts, I enjoy using my imagination to create visuals in my head and so I'm able to do that with my favorite works because they reflect my state of mind.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 10:51:53 PM by nakulanb »

Offline nakulanb

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 11:09:34 PM »
Actual furniture can be beautiful and not just in the background and home decoration elements like curtains are mostly there for beauty.
FWIW I find Satie totally boring and detached, probably the least engaging semi-major composer I can think of.

I agree with you on the furniture take, not on the Satie take, but I respect your opinion.  :)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2022, 01:04:32 AM »

Imagine someone tells you in no uncertain terms that they have fallen in love, that they have found what they have been searching for. And you reply, "oh well, I find her totally boring, one of the least engaging people I've ever met."

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2022, 01:26:18 AM »
Imagine someone tells you in no uncertain terms that they have fallen in love, that they have found what they have been searching for. And you reply, "oh well, I find her totally boring, one of the least engaging people I've ever met."

Totally inappropriate, of course. I think people should try to refrain from chiming in with negative opinions in threads about composers they don't care for anyway, especially when the OP expressed their love and passion for the music.

"In religion, philosophy and morality, obedience; in art and literature, independence." - Ricardo Viñes

Offline nakulanb

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2022, 02:12:14 AM »
I can handle the negative reviews of Satie.  I know there are plenty that love him as well.

Offline KevinP

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2022, 01:48:08 PM »
I love this composer's music so much.  Why is it such that his music is the only, other than mine, that makes me feel like a painting has been created?

Does your own music feature much counterpoint?

I feel like counterpoint might make music more 'uniquely music' while melody+chords establishes a foreground and a background and hence may be more visual.

(I acknowledge that the visual arts are capable of their own variety of counterpoint.)

Offline nakulanb

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2022, 04:17:42 PM »
Does your own music feature much counterpoint?

I feel like counterpoint might make music more 'uniquely music' while melody+chords establishes a foreground and a background and hence may be more visual.

(I acknowledge that the visual arts are capable of their own variety of counterpoint.)

I think for me what I deam as visual is what sounds rather soft and tame, so it more so depends on the performer rather than the composer or the work.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 04:20:38 PM by nakulanb »